Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Update today from Ohio

saw this in the paper today:

"...AT&T and DirecTV already have deals with the Big Ten
Network (and NFL Network) and a deal between BTN and DISH Network is expected before the channel launches Aug. 30. Yet, in Time Warner's third largest region, the one with arguably the most rabid college sports fans, there is no deal..."

I really hope DISH gets this done before kickoff.

Ohio.com - Big Ten TV negotiations in time bind

Good find Jim. Hmmmm...there seems to be quite a few sources claiming a deal between BTN and E* is close. Those of us who follow E* and their contract negotiations know not to get our hopes up but these tidbits just keep popping up...

I don't think E* will separate the pricing though. I would think they would average it out over all subs.

How can people compare YES with B10 Network, the footprint of the B10 Network dwarfs the YES footprint. Some of the Major cities included in the B10 Footprint, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Pittburgh, Philadelphia, Milwaukee & Indianapolis.

I admit this is loose math, and making assumptions BUT...
if 25% of the country is in the B10 footprint (which is close), and 25% of E* subscribers in that footprint left E* for D*(again, a reasonable number of "diehard" sports fans) , that would mean 10% of subscribers go away.

That doesnt even take into account the number of B10 Alumni around the country that would be willing to pay for the sports pack to watch these games, that is an increase in revenue.

I think they have MORE to lose by not getting B10.

saw this in the paper today:

"...AT&T and DirecTV already have deals with the Big Ten
Network (and NFL Network) and a deal between BTN and DISH Network is expected before the channel launches Aug. 30. Yet, in Time Warner's third largest region, the one with arguably the most rabid college sports fans, there is no deal..."

I really hope DISH gets this done before kickoff.

Ohio.com - Big Ten TV negotiations in time bind

cool!!!
Eleven of Badgers BB conference games are on BTN and I would have to switch to D* if E* does not pick it up. Wife said so:p

I have to admit that this is exactly why I left Cableone, they refused to add OLN (Now called Versus) for the NHL Hockey Season last year. That is why I joined DIsh Network. But what that also means is, I only have 6 months left on my 18 Month Lease Deal with Dish Network.
Time to downsize my account to the bare minumum until that 6 months is over.

I would not include Cincinnati in the BTN footprint. Yes, it is Ohio, but as pretty much any Ohio State fan will admit, it is the only area of the state they don't own in terms of fan support.

I'm not going to read all of those messages but I do see the first one talking about Comcast adding B10N but they're putting it in a sports tier. This is what Comcast, TWC, Dish, and so on want. This is NOT what the B10N wants.

I'm not against the B10N but I do NOT want to pay extra for it by having it in a standard tier. I feel the same way about ESPN. I enjoy sports, mind you, but I don't like it that much that I'll spend extra "just to have it".

I would not include Cincinnati in the BTN footprint. Yes, it is Ohio, but as pretty much any Ohio State fan will admit, it is the only area of the state they don't own in terms of fan support.

How dare you ! OSU has support in the entire state and beyond; no one cares about the UC felons playing football.

Heh... OSU fans talking about felons? What about Mo Clarett? How about Troy Smith and his $100 handshakes?

Anyway, Cincinnati roots, IMO, in this manner for college football:

Notre Dame (large Catholic population)
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Michigan

UC, OSU, and Michigan are all probably fairly close to interchangable. Notre Dame has a large lead, IMO.

Heh... OSU fans talking about felons? What about Mo Clarett? How about Troy Smith and his $100 handshakes?

Anyway, Cincinnati roots, IMO, in this manner for college football:

Notre Dame (large Catholic population)
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Michigan

UC, OSU, and Michigan are all probably fairly close to interchangable. Notre Dame has a large lead, IMO.

Hey mlb dont forget about Mt.Saint Joe high atop the hill in Delhi in your list as well :haha

How can people compare YES with B10 Network, the footprint of the B10 Network dwarfs the YES footprint. Some of the Major cities included in the B10 Footprint, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Pittburgh, Philadelphia, Milwaukee & Indianapolis.

I admit this is loose math, and making assumptions BUT...
if 25% of the country is in the B10 footprint (which is close), and 25% of E* subscribers in that footprint left E* for D*(again, a reasonable number of "diehard" sports fans) , that would mean 10% of subscribers go away.

That doesnt even take into account the number of B10 Alumni around the country that would be willing to pay for the sports pack to watch these games, that is an increase in revenue.

I think they have MORE to lose by not getting B10.
You're first number could be correct, but no way are 25% of Dish subs in the Big Ten area "die hards" that will switch to DirecTV just for 2nd and 3rd tier games on this channel. I'd say that 5% is a more reasonable guess (and I'm sure Charlie and his team have figured out a guess at this as well).

I dont know about that, many many peoples #1 viewing habit is sports, and if you cant see your local team play, but can if yuo go somewhere else... I think the potential does exist to lose them to D* especially once they roll out the HD to match Dish.

I can honestly say that I don't recall ever seeing a DirecTV installation van in our neighborhood, but in the last week and a half I've seen it/them all over. I've been a loyal E* customer for 10 years, but I will make the switch if I have to. Big10 sports is at the top of my entertainment list. If E* can't provide it, I'll have to move on.

Come on guys, figure out a deal!

I have not been able to get an answer out of anyone on here about downsizing my account if E* doesn't have the BTN by then end of this month, or at least an announcment one way or the other.
Right now E* gets roughly $110.00 a month from me with VIP211 Lease, one dual tuner receiver, one standard receiver, DHPP, LOcals, and Multi Sport channels.
I just found the lowest package they have is the Family pack for $19.95 a month. I will be downsizing my account to that package until my contract is up, I'll just have to have D* install their Dish next to the E* dish on my garage (For 6 months)
Someone said I'll have to keep the VIP211 lease fee for that time frame too, but I was wondering if I could just keep the BASIC receiver I have instead??

Did Dish "give" you the 211 ? If so, you are probably req'd to maintain the min HD package. The Family tier won't qualify. You may be able to return the 211 but your contract may not allow that either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts