Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Following examples set by D* don't seem like a good idea.... I've read that based on the # of NFL-ST ticket customers vs what D* paid for the rights, they either lose money per NFL-ST customer or *all* of their customers make up the difference.

Anyone know if the Big Ten Network will be on Dish Network?

It's a make-or-break deal for me and I'll switch TV providers if Dish is too cheap to add it.

Seems to me that Dish is pretty good at screwing Sports fans anyway, unless you like friggin' PPV Cricket or Futbol.

I know it is a little early yet to ask since this channel is not set for release until August,but any word if there will be an interest on E*`s part to carry. If not will give plenty of time to campaign for it. {Check out below listed links for more info}

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/bigtennetwork

Big Ten Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
once again a local sports channel debate...I guess if the money is right and E* wants to negotiate for the service it may be offered in the midwest as a regional or a premium sports net.......It's not a channel with national interest and I don't think the rest of us want to subsidize it..But if people in OH,MI,WI,IA and IN want it they can lobby for it....Good luck!

now this is interesting from the president of Big 10 network who was in Champaign yesterday:

Big Ten Network

Big Ten Network
Reported by: Sarah Jindra / WCIA 3 NEWS
04/11/2007 05:27pm
The President of the Big Ten Network stopped in Champaign Wednesday, to talk about the network's progress. Originally, only fans with Direct-TV were going to get the network, but now, President Mark Silverman says those with dish and cable will also see the action.

Currently, it only has a contract with Direct-TV, but Silverman says he's confident the others will pick up the network before it kicks off in August. Some cable providers say they're not so sure that's going to happen. But fans are hoping..they'll have their Illini.

When the television in Rob Gorham's house is on, it's usually on sports. That's why he was upset when he heard only customers with Direct-TV would get the Big Ten Network. "It was a bummer, it was terrible," says Gorham.

But now, there's hope for fans like Gorham. The president of the Big Ten Network expects cable companies and the Dish Network to sign on soon. And he says you won't have to pay extra for it. "There will be no additional cost to the consumer. It will be part of the cable package they're currently paying for," says Silverman.

But small cable companies that serve rural areas wonder how that's possible. The GM of Clearvision, in Greenup, says their customers may be out of luck when it comes to watching Illini sports. He says the network hasn't even contacted him yet. And he worries, if his company pays to get the network, he'll need re-coup the money somehow.

But the network still says it thinks everyone will eventually be on board. Silverman says, "I do not see an instance where a distributor will not enable those viewers access to a channel we're making widely available to everybody."

Even larger cable companies, like Insight, are still questioning whether to purchase the network. It is in negotiations right now, but it too, says the cost is a concern.

But fans like Gorham say, they'd be willing to pay to get their Illini. Gorham says, "go get the contract, sign the contract, your customers want the Big Ten Network." However, it's a different story for those that aren't sports fans. They say any added cost, just wouldn't be worth it. It leaves cable companies and the Dish Network, trying to decide if they should invest with the Big Ten.
This is the rub..Those not interested in this programming will be forced to subsidize this new service. I have no objection to E* picking up the Big Ten net, but make it a premium channel. In the post above there is mention of people willing to pay for it.The thing is they aren't paying for it..Everyone subscribing to E* would help cover the cost.

Sounds like a good idea.

Let Dish pick it up and pay the $1.10 per subscriber, but make it a $5 premuim channel.

I don't want to pay for your fanatacism, but I'll pay for my own.

Last edited:
once again a local sports channel debate...I guess if the money is right and E* wants to negotiate for the service it may be offered in the midwest as a regional or a premium sports net.......It's not a channel with national interest and I don't think the rest of us want to subsidize it..But if people in OH,MI,WI,IA and IN want it they can lobby for it....Good luck!

I believe it does have some national interest, when a Big Ten teams plays a non B-10 team, viewers from the non B-10 team get to see a game of interest to them.

ex. this year the only way to see Iowa-Syracuse is on B-10 network.

Fanatacism? Hardly that .... oops! I guess you were trying to be funny! :clap :clap
Hmmm..what do you think the word "fan" applies to when describing a follower of a sports team?
Please pay for your channel..Do not ask the rest of us to pitch in..Good Luck!

I agree everyone should not have to pay for it, but put it in America's Everything Pak or the Sports pak. Even if the sports pak goes up a dollar it would be fine with me, but Dish needs to get it and the mountain. There is just too much college football that dish does not allow access to.

We could go around and around all day with the, "I don't watch it so I don't want to pay for it," argument but that would apply to every channel wouldn't it? That just takes us back to the age old a la carte debate. Dish has stated several times they would like to offer everything a la carte but the networks won't allow it.

I said earlier in the thread that I would like Dish to offer this channel one way or another (regional, sportspack, whatever) but if the BTN is going to be bullheaded and demand that they be carried on a basic tier I sincerely think there is enough interest for that.

All of the above being said we may just be wasting our time debating it given E*'s track record. If E* has demonstrated anything it's that they will NOT overpay for ANY channel at launch. As sure as the sun rises and sets every day E* will scoff at $1.10 per subscriber.

We could go around and around all day with the, "I don't watch it so I don't want to pay for it," argument but that would apply to every channel wouldn't it? That just takes us back to the age old a la carte debate. Dish has stated several times they would like to offer everything a la carte but the networks won't allow it.

I said earlier in the thread that I would like Dish to offer this channel one way or another (regional, sportspack, whatever) but if the BTN is going to be bullheaded and demand that they be carried on a basic tier I sincerely think there is enough interest for that.

All of the above being said we may just be wasting our time debating it given E*'s track record. If E* has demonstrated anything it's that they will NOT overpay for ANY channel at launch. As sure as the sun rises and sets every day E* will scoff at $1.10 per subscriber.

A lot of cable companies that have signed put it on the expanded basic, basically the AT200 level comparison. I for one would like to see it on dish, so that I can actually watch more of the Illini games. it won't bother me either way though as most of the games are supposed to be the old ESPN+ games that I couldn't watch anyway.

A lot of cable companies that have signed put it on the expanded basic, basically the AT200 level comparison.

In these parts, expanded basic is the outdated analog tier of channels. Were then are all of these cable companies? Roughly 2 months before launch and all BTN has is D*, Buckeye Cable in Ohio, and AT&T. You would think an MSO like Mediacom with a big presence in Iowa, Minnestoa, Illinois and Wisconsin would've been on board months ago, leaving plenty of time to hype the launch.

We could go around and around all day with the, "I don't watch it so I don't want to pay for it," argument but that would apply to every channel wouldn't it?
I couldn't agree more with this, since the argument comes up every time a new sports channel is mentioned. If you don't want to pay for my sports channels, then let me pick through my non-sports channels to let you know which ones of those I don't want to pay for. It works both ways.

I agree everyone should not have to pay for it, but put it in America's Everything Pak or the Sports pak. Even if the sports pak goes up a dollar it would be fine with me, but Dish needs to get it and the mountain. There is just too much college football that dish does not allow access to.
What about the NCAA Football package?....I would think if one wanted their College football fix badly enough they would pay the fee for the package...
I disagree with your notion that there isn't enough college football on tv each week...Heck I bet there are 20 games every Saturday listed in the guide...The networks and ESPN handle just about every major game each week...Of course the coverage is regional. But that's fine..Unless of course one lives in a region other than the team they wish to see..Then the answer is the NCAA package...Simple..

I couldn't agree more with this, since the argument comes up every time a new sports channel is mentioned. If you don't want to pay for my sports channels, then let me pick through my non-sports channels to let you know which ones of those I don't want to pay for. It works both ways.
this is why I am an advocate of a la carte...Of course a la carte would kill any possibilty of channels like Big 10 from ever getting on a satellite line up...BTW I am a sports fan..But not so spun up about college football...The NFL is my fix...Actually it doesn't work both ways...Like it or not services like A&E ,Discovery, TBS, etc have much higher ratings and thus serve a much larger audience than the sports nets and other niche sports programming..now when you talk about other niche channels, these ar ethe chs that add to our monthly bills and take up valuable space on the guide.

You are all forgetting that this is going to be another 100% HD Channel, so I could see Charlie adding this channel in a HEARTBEAT!!!!
I hope he does.

FootballHelmets.gif

This is from: Big Ten Network - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will I be able to get the Big Ten Network from my current cable system or satellite provider?

A: All cable and satellite systems throughout the U.S. have the opportunity to place the Big Ten Network on their most widely available level of service. We already have signed deals with DirecTV and AT&T that ensure the Big Ten Network is on their basic level of service (Total Choice for DirecTV). If you subscribe to either of these services, the network is already part of your basic package, and you'll be able to turn it on the minute we launch. In addition to DirecTV and AT&T, we have over 40 deals with local cable operators, all of which call for the network to be carried on their basic cable package at no extra cost to consumers. Once these deals are signed, we will announce them publicly. The fact that we are able to complete these cable deals shows that our terms are reasonable and fair. It also gives us confidence that other agreements will be forthcoming.

Wisconsin Football game will be on Big10 Network

Well it's already starting for us in Wisconsin......
Lets get this thing done DISH......

------------------------------------------------------------
UW to Make Big Ten Network Debut on Sept. 15
MADISON, Wis.
The Wisconsin football team will play its first game on the Big Ten Network on Sept. 15 vs. The Citadel. That game, to be played at Camp Randall Stadium, will start at 11 a.m. CDT, the Network announced today.

All games produced by the Big Ten Network will be available to cable and satellite operators nationwide as part of their agreements to carry the network. Whenever the Big Ten Network is producing more than one game airing at the same time, the network will split the feeds regionally among cable operators to allow Big Ten fans to watch the game with the most regional interest. In addition, cable and satellite providers that have agreed to carry the network will be offered the chance to carry the additional games via “overflow” channels.

The conference’s remaining home games will be selected as the season progresses. The majority of the games airing on the Big Ten Network will be shown in high definition (HD).

The Citadel game is the sixth Badger contest for 2007 that has a kickoff time set, including the fourth home game. No other home football game times are expected to be confirmed prior to the start of the season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Ten Network games so far......

Saturday, September 1
Appalachian State at Michigan, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Youngstown State at Ohio State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Florida International at Penn State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Northeastern at Northwestern, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Bowling Green at Minnesota, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

Indiana State at Indiana, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

Saturday, September 8
Akron at Ohio State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Nevada at Northwestern, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Bowling Green at Michigan State, Noon EDT/11a.m. CDT

Miami (Ohio) at Minnesota, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Eastern Illinois at Purdue, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Western Illinois at Illinois, 7 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. CDT

Syracuse at Iowa, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

Saturday, September 15
The Citadel at Wisconsin, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Buffalo at Penn State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Akron at Indiana, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT

Duke at Northwestern, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts