Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If the Big 10 Network wants to be carried on any provider's service, they HAVE to bend. ?

You must mean "any provider's service - except for DirecTV, AT&T, and over 15 cable companies which have already signed up to carry the B10N."

E* is running a risk on this. 30% of the US population lies either within or directly adjacent to the region covered by the Big Ten. There are millions of B10 fans in this extended region.

What effect will today's DishHD announcement have on the B10 network? Or does this give us an indication where the B10 network is on Dish's priority list?

They said on todays retailer chat that they are in talks with Big 10 and hope to have some good news soon.

Alot of Big Ten fans are hoping we get some good news soon. I don't want to have to switch providers, I like Dish network, but I will if they don't get the Big Ten Network. Thanks for the info Scott.

I am hoping the Big 10 network gets on Dish, I was the host for a NFL Network party at my house last fall for the Packers game and I hope to be a host for my friends who have cable and don't have ESPN U, CSTV, NFL Network and Big 10 because Charter sucks eggs.

yeah I hope I don't have to switch carriers too, but if it is not on by basketball season, then See-ya dish, and hello directv, or my local cable company if they sign on.

Thanks for the information Scott! I am glad to hear about the negotiations, Dish gave us good news today, maybe more good news is around the corner.:)

Big 10 Network

Just bumping back to the top. Has anyone read or heard any updates regarding possibly getting Big 10 Network HD?

If you are counting on the Big Ten budging, I wouldn't. Sounds like their strategy is dependent upon Big Ten fans flooding E* and cable networks with complaints once the games begin and they discover they cannot see their favorite teams in action (remember, most fans are not checking Satelite Guys every other day for updates). Probably a pretty good strategy, from an economic perspective, but shows Jim Delaney and company aren't really that concerned with Joe fan as much as they are making money off of Joe fan.

Sounds like their strategy is dependent upon Big Ten fans flooding E* and cable networks with complaints once the games begin and they discover they cannot see their favorite teams in action.

That might work with some cable companies but given E*'s track record it's probably not the best strategy. The only strategy that works with E* is less $$.

That might work with some cable companies but given E*'s track record it's probably not the best strategy. The only strategy that works with E* is less $$.

Which is why I suspect that the Big Ten Network will be like MLB EI, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc. I can already see the E* ads--"Look at all of the college football we have at Dish--ESPN, ESPN2, CSTV, ESPNU, The Networks, FOX REGIONAL SPORTS, and ESPN Gameplan." And you could argue it makes financial sense. But Big Ten fans will flock to D*, no question about it.

Football isnt that big of a dealbreaker for me, I got Season tix for the Gopher home games, and can always hit my local establishment with D* to watch the 5 or 6 road games....

Basketball on the other hand.... the wife would frown upon me out at the bar 2x a week to watch games all winter.

Which is why I suspect that the Big Ten Network will be like MLB EI, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc. I can already see the E* ads--"Look at all of the college football we have at Dish--ESPN, ESPN2, CSTV, ESPNU, The Networks, FOX REGIONAL SPORTS, and ESPN Gameplan." And you could argue it makes financial sense. But Big Ten fans will flock to D*, no question about it.

Totally agree.

Not trying to flame here, but if you are a sports buff its 1-800-DIRECTV and enjoy till your sports hearts are content. Thats what I did 2 years ago and have been a happy camper ever since.{NFL Sunday Ticket/MLB-EI/Sports Pack and now Big Ten Net}

Sadly, I'm beginning to suspect that I will be migrating to D* come next spring. I've been with E* for 9+ years, and have paid them an amount in excess of $10K.

If D* offers good quality HD off of their new birds, along with NFL:ST, MLB:EI, and BTN, then my reasons to stay with E* will be nil. The NFL package doesn't mean that much to me, but MLB and the BTN are biggies.

For now, the only thing holding me to E* is the better quality HD - even in its current state of mediocrity it is still better than what D* is serving up. Even if E* is able to match D* channel for channel and bit for bit on HD, D*'s superior sports packages will tilt the decision to their favor.

I've got to think that I will not be alone in seeing it in this way.

I've got to think that I will not be alone in seeing it in this way.

I think you're right and I think (hope) E* knows this. If D* is able to match or exceed E*'s lineup as well as bring the quality up then D* will have the edge with their exclusive sports packages. At that point E*'s only choice would be to compete with a lower price.

From what I've seen so far E* is not ready to conceed victory to D* when it comes to sports. The minute that E* lost MLB EI they started activating HD RSN's to help offset the blow. E* has also recently uplinked Setanta sports with unofficial plans of launching August 1st. That being said at this point it's still very, very difficult to imagine E* caving in and paying the BTN what they're asking. It's just not like E* to pay big $$ for any channel at launch.

The Big Ten Network

WEEK 1 / Saturday, Sept. 1
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Appalachian State at Michigan (HD)
Youngstown State at Ohio State (HD)
Florida Int'l at Penn State (HD)
Northeastern at Northwestern

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Bowling Green at Minnesota (HD)
Indiana State at Indiana (HD)

WEEK 2 / Saturday, Sept. 8
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Akron at Ohio State (HD)
Nevada at Northwestern
Bowling Green at Michigan State (HD)
Miami (OH) at Minnesota (HD)
Eastern Illinois at Purdue

7 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. CDT
Western Illinois at Illinois (HD)

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Syracuse at Iowa (HD)

WEEK 3 / Saturday, Sept. 15
Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
The Citadel at Wisconsin (HD)
Buffalo at Penn State (HD)
Akron at Indiana (HD)

8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Duke at Northwestern (HD)

yep, I'm willing to give up having local channels to move to D*. if BTN is not on by basketball season, then sorry dish, you've lost my household as a customer.

Charter Communications, the primary cable provider in Wisconsin, released a statement today that they were in negotiations with BTN. They said they wished to place the channel in their sports tier while the BTN was being insistent upon being included in Expanded Basic.

The details didn't look promising, however they said that they hoped to resolve the issue by August 30th. So it left the impression that they might work something out before the football season begins.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)