Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What are the odds E* gets this done before football season starts? I have had Charter for years, but just bought a house and am going to get either D* or E* because I've had it with cable companies. College football is my favorite sport and I will have 5 TV's set up in my basement, Vegas style, so I want as many games as possible on Saturdays. I know E* is cheaper, but I will pay for more games. I want to get a carrier by August 15. Any suggestions on which way to go?

If I were given the choice right now, I would go with the sure thing. Like you, I am a college football junkie, and Directv has already said they will give you the Big Ten Network. The reason alot of us are waiting is because we have invested in E*. I have two 622s that I "leased", I will have to pay a penalty for breaking my contract, and I will lose my locals by jumping to D*. I imagine a number of people contributing to this thread are in a similar position. Unless there was a compelling reason for you getting E*, I would take the sure bet.

I read in another thread that there isn't even a firm date that the Big-Ten Network will be aired by D*! I guess everyone just assumes since they signed a contract, that D* will then automatically carry them on August 30th. Seems like folks debating on switching (myself included) should have a firm date of when the provider will go live with this channel.

The first 2 games of the season for my Buckeye's are scheduled to be aired on BTN! I'd hate to miss those games AND change providers for nothing.

I read in another thread that there isn't even a firm date that the Big-Ten Network will be aired by D*! I guess everyone just assumes since they signed a contract, that D* will then automatically carry them on August 30th. Seems like folks debating on switching (myself included) should have a firm date of when the provider will go live with this channel.

The first 2 games of the season for my Buckeye's are scheduled to be aired on BTN! I'd hate to miss those games AND change providers for nothing.

My beloved Buckeyes too!!! I will go off on a limb, however, and bet anyone any amount of money that D* will show the GAMES on the first two Saturdays. Whether they are in HD, whether they will show the network 24/7 for those first few weeks might be up for grabs, but they will show the games.

I thought D* was carrying B10 on Launch.. which is in august... the B10 HD may be the non firm date...

Edit--- Per the Big 10 Network site, D* is carrying at launch on Aug 30th. nothing confirmed on the HD side.

Last edited:
One of the moderators for the Iowa Rivals site has an interview with BTN Mark Silverman. Dish network negotiations will be discussed. Should know more later this afternoon.

One of the moderators for the Iowa Rivals site has an interview with BTN Mark Silverman. Dish network negotiations will be discussed. Should know more later this afternoon.

Nice! Keep us posted. Lord knows we won't hear anything from E*.

I checked the Iowa rivals site and there is a thread on the BTN but I don't subscribe to the site so I can't see the thread. Anyone here want to help us out? Does it mention anything about Dish?

Not much on the Dish front. It goes into detail about mediacom and comcast not budging on putting the BTN on their basic tier. Direct TV has agreed to carry all the games on an alternate channel. He will have a full transcript of the interview up later this evening.

cool thanks. I have a strong feeling that the BTN will play the internet card if need be. If they make all of games available via an internet subscription service then that takes the heat off of them and puts the ball in each of the provider's court.

He asked about the internet. Broadband: Got kind of an interesting answer on this one. There will be some, but my sense is not as much as I thought with football and basketball. Basically, the problem is if they do this, it devalues what the cable providers have to offer. Obviously, the cable companies are paying a price tag to carry the network and it gives comsumer a reason to subscribe to their service. Having it on broadband would decrease that value

Tom Kakart on Iowa Rivals ran out of time with his interview with the BTN Pres. He didn't get to ask about negotiations with E*

Found this on the Buckeye Site.
Kevin Noon from the Buckeyes site had an interview today with Mark Silverman. For those who have Dish Network, this was his response to where things stand at this point. My sense based on these comments is that the deal will get done and it will probably look something like the one on Direct TV.

BuckeyeGrove.com – What is the status of the negotiations with Dish Network?

Mark Silverman - The way I look at it is that I categorize Dish (Network) at a different place than some of the other cable operators. The difference is that we are exchanging ideas with Dish and are in negotiations with them. They are active and I am hopeful with Dish (Network) that we are going to be able to get there and get the network carried. I don't think it is imminent by any stretch but we are talking with them and we are making progress slowly, but we are making progress.

Hope this can shed some more light on this situation.

Several posters said:
My cable co. will not carry BTN. Should I switch to DirecTV or Dish?
If the BTN is a deal breaker for you, go with DirecTV. General rule on selecting a pay-TV service is select on what is offerred *today*, not on what might be offerred in the future.

Just got word from a post on a local forum.......

FWIW, the Big 10 president was on 1460 THE FAN here in Columbus yesterday, and stated that Dish network is close to jumping on board. Also said Time Warner is another issue, so looks like TW customers are going to be without NFL Network and Big 10 Network now.
Of course the "Dish is jumping on board" could be just disinformation to put pressure on TW and Comcast. Who knows ...

This was posted by Moonman in the Directv forum:

From "The evening bridge"
EchoStar Petitions For Big Ten Network Ruling
TOP STORY -- EchoStar has petitioned the Federal Communications Commission for a declaratory ruling that would classify the soon-to-be-launched Big Ten Network as a regional sports network, a move that would further classify the network as programming affiliated with a pay-TV competitor under terms of News Corp.'s 2003 takeover of DIRECTV. As part of the commission's approval process that year, News Corp. agreed to allow competitors access to affiliated programming. The Big Ten Network, a joint venture of the Big Ten Conference and Fox Cable Services, is scheduled to launch in August but has struggled to reach carriage agreements with EchoStar, Comcast, Time Warner and Cox due to its rates request and demands to be carried nationwide on the basic tier. Read tomorrow's edition of SkyREPORT for more on this issue.

Cannot say that I see this as encouraging for fans hoping to see an agreement between E* and BTN in the near future, if E* is petitioning FCC for a favorable ruling. But maybe they will get a favorable ruling, who knows?

Nice to see cheap skate Charlie is at it again as this pretty much confirms that you'll never see BTN on E*. What's Charlie going to do when News Corp no longer controls D*?

Yep, so much for the BTN, "currently negotiating with Dish Network."

Guess this makes my decision easier.

Advantage of going to D*: Local's in HD, RSN's in HD, BTN in HD!

Disadvantage of leaving E*: Giving up my ViP622 and contributing to Rupert the Media Modul's bank account.

Last edited:
I'm an OSU fan, but I agree with what Dish is doing. No way should this network be forced on everyone in the country, it should be part of a sports package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)