Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The AT100 is the lowest package that you can add HD to.

Yes, but if you lease a 211, you can down grade your service to the Family Pack , pay the $6 HD enabling fee and use the 211 for SD and OTA locals.

In the article Silverman states that they believe they will have the midwest region blanketed WITHIN A YEAR. To me that says the BTN is willing to hold out through this first year in hopes of end users creating enough fuss and putting enough pressure on the service providers to make them cave in.

Well, good luck to the BTN. I think E* customers should (unfortunately) consider this another YES Network situation until BTN changes their tune.

Last edited:
In my opinion this could shape up the same way that "Victory Sports" did a few years ago. If Comcast, Time Warner, Charter, Mediacom and Dish Network don't sign on and the only one showing the games this year is Directv the network will not make it. The cable companies and E* know this. I think all those cable companies and E* will not sign unless BTN lets them go to a sports tier. If one of those cable companies or E* give in then all bets are off.

In my opinion this could shape up the same way that "Victory Sports" did a few years ago. If Comcast, Time Warner, Charter, Mediacom and Dish Network don't sign on and the only one showing the games this year is Directv the network will not make it. The cable companies and E* know this. I think all those cable companies and E* will not sign unless BTN lets them go to a sports tier. If one of those cable companies or E* give in then all bets are off.

What say could happen but they fail to mention other major cable co. could sign. An example would be here in Cols.Oh I have the choice of three cable co's. Time Warner, Insight and WOW(Wide Open West). If one signs, then it's a free for all. This could happen in several other B10 cities that may not have one of the big two as a option (TM& Comcast).

In the article Silverman states that they believe they will have the midwest region blanketed WITHIN A YEAR. To me that says the BTN is willing to hold out through this first year in hopes of end users creating enough fuss and putting enough pressure on the service providers to make them cave in.

Well, good luck to the BTN. I think E* customers should (unfortunately) consider this another YES Network situation until BTN changes their tune.

But the journalist also wrote that Silverman expects to get a deal done in the next few weeks with providers like E*. I think the article provides some reason for optimism, not pessimism. I just remember the last interview I read where Silverman seemed to be suggesting that a true national carrier (like E*) may be able to work something out regarding pay structure--but that they will not negotiate on requirement of being in expanded basic tier for subscribers in the region. But since E* provides "regional sports networks" for subscribers in their respective regions, maybe they will be able to reach an agreement wherein the 8 Big Ten states subscribers get it as part of their regional sports networks, and rest of us can get it by ala carte (or something like that). :)

For the record, I want the BTN, but I have been emailing the BTN more than E* I will drop my programming with E* IF Cableone picks up the network, PERIOD, but I don't blame E* for negotiating a better deal. What E* needs to remind the BTN about is, that in Big Ten COuntry, us fans will pay that extra price for the channel, so they BOTH need to think of the FANS first.

What E* needs to remind the BTN about is, that in Big Ten COuntry, us fans will pay that extra price for the channel, so they BOTH need to think of the FANS first.

Then there is someone like me in Mountain West Conference country who doesn't give a rats ass about the Big Ten (and I'm not willing to pay more per month on my bill just for the Big Ten Network to be added to E*)

And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to see your bill per month raised to add my conference's channel, the mtn, since you are a big ten fan.

I agree with your last point jldhawk. I said in another thread that I wish both sides would make some concessions and come to an agreement FOR THE SAKE OF THE CUSTOMER.

If you look at BTN's press releases on their website, it's obvious that News Corp has a conflict of interest with the BTN. The first press release announcing the formation of the Big Ten Network from June 2006 lists DirecTV as agreeing to carry the BTN on their Total Choice package from Day One. Would DirecTV have signed on if they weren't owned by News Corp?

Plus, this was over a year ago. The "halftime" analogy is therefore flawed; it's becoming more of a "Hail, Mary" situation as time runs out.

I would gladly pay another 10 cents a month each for out-of-region coverage of other major sports conferences. I'd love to be able to watch ACC, SEC, Big East, B12, and Pac-10 football, basketball, and other sports for a grand total of $6/year ($1.20 * 5).

News Corp/FOX owns 49% of the BTN. Thus not surprising that D* signed up immediately.

This week the BTN announced that they have now signed up 75 providers, most of them rather small cable companies. They are trying very hard to get one more large provider, to add to D* and AT&T, to leverage against the remaining holdouts.

I would gladly pay another 10 cents a month each for out-of-region coverage of other major sports conferences. I'd love to be able to watch ACC, SEC, Big East, B12, and Pac-10 football, basketball, and other sports for a grand total of $6/year ($1.20 * 5).
I don't know about the other conferences, but FSN has a nationwide agreement to broadcast many Big-12 and PAC-10 games.

Big 12 football heads to ESPN | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | SportsDay: Colleges: Top Stories

FOX Sports on MSN - Television - PAC-10 & FSN EXTEND TV/NEW MEDIA RIGHTS

Sounds good to me too! I am sure that we will hear the I'm not paying one penney more line though!

I would gladly pay another 10 cents a month each for out-of-region coverage of other major sports conferences..

Try more like 30 cents/month (the out-of-region quotes I've been seeing for BTN).

If DISH signed up BTN, the mtn, and theoretically PAC-10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Sky, WAC, Missouri Valley at 30 cents/month on average, you are looking at $3.00/month added to your bill or $36 more per year.

Obviously it would be good if the conference channels would go season-ticket a-la-carte so people who care pay for the conferences they care about and not have to burden every subscriber, but that won't happen as the conferences are looking for huge carriage numbers, not targeted audiences.

E* called last night and offered us discount to keep us from signing up with D* (we own our receivers and equipment). As much as we enjoy our E* service, BTN is one of a few "must have" channels that we require. We have StarChoice in order to watch Hockey and Detroit area sports, but if E* doesn't carry this channel by the end of October we will have little choice but to complete our sign-up with another provided. I have a hopeful feeling that E*/BTN will come to terms in the coming weeks.

Try more like 30 cents/month (the out-of-region quotes I've been seeing for BTN).

If DISH signed up BTN, the mtn, and theoretically PAC-10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Sky, WAC, Missouri Valley at 30 cents/month on average, you are looking at $3.00/month added to your bill or $36 more per year.

That's it? Sign me up!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)