Status
Please reply by conversation.

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Chicago
Sorry this is kind of long--

I got home this afternoon from my thanksgiving trip to find that none of my 6 receivers were working. All of them were getting the "searching for satellite" message. So I called up D* to tell them and they had me check my signal strength on several transponders. All were 0. They told me that they would have to send a tech out to fix my problem, but they would not be able to get anyone out here until friday. Since it is sunday I could wait until friday to be able to watch tv. I know how this sounds but I am a financial advisor/lawyer. I often work from home when I don't have client meetings and spend the day flipping back and forth between CNBC and CNNFN. I calmly explained this to the CSR. He apologized but said that he just couldn't get anyone out here before friday.

Knowing that it wasn't his fault I said ok, please give me a credit for the week I will be without service and Ill deal with it. I didn't really want to have to deal with it. So having spent the last few months reading and posting here I thought I could fix it myself. I have helped several friends install their own dishes but never a triple lnb, which I have. I knew from reading here that the problem was probably 1 of 4 things, the receivers(unlikely since none were working), the cabling(unlikely since none of the receivers were working), the lnb or the multiswitch.

I went over to a friends house who had an extra lnb sitting around and tried swapping this one out with the one on my dish, no luck. So, I was pretty sure that the problem was the multiswitch. I knew that if that was the problem I would still be able to get 4 of my receivers working until friday when the tech came. So I unhooked the cables from the switch and hooked the lines from the dish straight into the 4 I wanted working the most and bingo they all worked. I never could have done this without this site, and to think I only came here to begin with because I wanted to find out when D* would add more HD channels. This place is the best. :D

dgordo ,It makes me feel proud of this web site!!!!! and all of its staff and members, that sometimes things we say and talk about can really make a difference in someones life. I am glad that we could help you and also am glad that you are a satelliteguys.us member. If there is any thing that we can help you with in the future please feel free to ask...................DIGITAL~DAN

I echo Digital Dan's remarks. That's what we're here for!! Glad to hear that you were able to at least get partially back up.

Something to check, if you have a 4X8 or 5X8, which it sounds like you have one or the other, check the coax in that goes to an AC source and see if it got unplugged or unpowered for some reason. Sounds like that may be it.

Again thanks for being a Satelliteguys member!! We couldn't do the things we do without members like you. (sounds like a PBS telethon doesnt it?) :)

Neutron said:
I echo Digital Dan's remarks. That's what we're here for!! Glad to hear that you were able to at least get partially back up.

Something to check, if you have a 4X8 or 5X8, which it sounds like you have one or the other, check the coax in that goes to an AC source and see if it got unplugged or unpowered for some reason. Sounds like that may be it.

Again thanks for being a Satelliteguys member!! We couldn't do the things we do without members like you. (sounds like a PBS telethon doesnt it?) :)

I checked the switch and it is still plugged in and getting power. I think the switch broke some how. Is that possible? We had some snow could that have done something to the switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)