Biggest September baseball chokes you recall

(Oh, and Boston has also been on the winning end on other playoff chokes- 1986 ALCS, 1999 ALDS, 2004 ALCS, last year)

Heck, your team contributed to one of my team's worst nightmares- Oakland's horrific playoff gag in 2003!

This reminds of a little stat that you may be seeing in the coming weeks if and when the Red Sox are facing elimination:

Since 1999, the Red Sox are a rather incredible 14-3 in postseason games when they faced elimination IF they lost. The breakdown by year:

1999: 3-1
2003: 4-1
2004: 4-0
2005: 0-1
2007: 3-0

In that case,

how did you feel going into the other Game 7 in Yankee Stadium a year later- the one with the happier ending?

(It was the most hyped game in baseball history, yet ended with a football score)

Any contrasts/comparisons?

Believe it or not, not AS confident as '03. In 2004 I was waiting for the other shoe to drop (remember, I'm a Red Sox fan :eek:). Fortunately, that shoe NEVER fell. :D

I don't think PEDRO has been the same since then. A year later, in mop-up duty during game 7, he gave up 2 runs and he's not vintage Pedro. I get to see him, probably more than you do, Bill, but he's not vintage Pedro. He's not ALDS against Cleveland Pedro. (which I said it then and now, that he wasn't hurt) I mean Pedro was unstoppable in the late 90s but I don't think he had solid pitching around him.

Mets,

I've been watching baseball since 1975, and in THAT time no pitcher was as dominant as Pedro Martinez was from 1998-2002. During that five year stretch he was virtually unhittable.