Biggest September baseball chokes you recall

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
(Oh, and Boston has also been on the winning end on other playoff chokes- 1986 ALCS, 1999 ALDS, 2004 ALCS, last year)

Heck, your team contributed to one of my team's worst nightmares- Oakland's horrific playoff gag in 2003!

This reminds of a little stat that you may be seeing in the coming weeks if and when the Red Sox are facing elimination:

Since 1999, the Red Sox are a rather incredible 14-3 in postseason games when they faced elimination IF they lost. The breakdown by year:

1999: 3-1
2003: 4-1
2004: 4-0
2005: 0-1
2007: 3-0

In that case,

how did you feel going into the other Game 7 in Yankee Stadium a year later- the one with the happier ending?

(It was the most hyped game in baseball history, yet ended with a football score)

Any contrasts/comparisons?

Believe it or not, not AS confident as '03. In 2004 I was waiting for the other shoe to drop (remember, I'm a Red Sox fan :eek:). Fortunately, that shoe NEVER fell. :D

I don't think PEDRO has been the same since then. A year later, in mop-up duty during game 7, he gave up 2 runs and he's not vintage Pedro. I get to see him, probably more than you do, Bill, but he's not vintage Pedro. He's not ALDS against Cleveland Pedro. (which I said it then and now, that he wasn't hurt) I mean Pedro was unstoppable in the late 90s but I don't think he had solid pitching around him.

Mets,

I've been watching baseball since 1975, and in THAT time no pitcher was as dominant as Pedro Martinez was from 1998-2002. During that five year stretch he was virtually unhittable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)