Biggest Tech Disapointment in 2012

I don't understand why MS didn't allow Windows 7 to mature more. Look how well Windows XP did all those years! From an IT standpoint having a major release like Windows 8 not 3 years after Windows 7 was released is a logistical nightmare. I know companies who are still just now releasing Windows 7 into their corporate environments.

I haven't had a chance to play with it but I hope MS fixes the issues with creating Windows 8 images that was such a pain in the ass to do with Windows 7. Sysprep broke a lot of customized settings in Windows 7.

It now is rumored that Win8's successor may be out in 6 months. Vista de ja vu... It might be free or minimal charge to Win8 users....

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29511

For those upset about the lack of a start button in Windows 8, prepare yourself for another disappointment -- "Windows Blue", an upcoming short-cycle successor to Windows 8, is not expected to bring the feature back.

The source of this supposed leak is CNBeta, a site with close insider ties at Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), which gained respect by accurately leaking a number of early Windows 8 details.

Other info from the site includes suggests that Microsoft will further flatten the UI on the desktop (think the Metro/Windows 8 UI style), the taskbar/desktop will get tweaks, the price will be low (or free), and the new kernel version number will be v6.3 (corroborated by other independent reports). The final remnants of the Aero UI, which was a staple of Windows Vista and Windows 7 is also being bid adieu, like the Start button before it.

Disagree about iPhone 5. It is fast, has a large screen, much improved os , yes the dock connector switch is a pain but it is a better connector.

I like the extra screen size but love how light it is and how smooth everything is.

It has a large screen... maybe by 2010 standards. By current standards it is average at best. It's not a bad phone but to call the 4.0 inch screen "large" is wishful thinking ;)

Last edited:
It has a large screen... maybe by 2010 standards. By current standards it is average at best. It's not a bad phone but to call the 4.0 inch screen "large" is wishful thinking ;)

Yes, it is not a huge screen, I think the larger phones are too large. And the Galaxy S3 is a mini-tablet, not something I can put in my pocket. The size of the iPhone 5 is not a disappointment.

Yes, it is not a huge screen, I think the larger phones are too large. And the Galaxy S3 is a mini-tablet, not something I can put in my pocket. The size of the iPhone 5 is not a disappointment.
Thats the thing about many of the newer phones, too stinking big to carry imho... the iPhones are pushing the limit with a case protector (Brother wouldn't carry when we went on walks hunting, too bulky when you have other stuff).

The GS3 is as large of a phone that I would want to carry. My HTC One X is the same size and it fits into my pocket just fine. Now saying that, I am really debating on getting the iPhone 5 come may when I can qualify for a full discount. Only thing that may prevent me from getting one is to see if they are going to release a newer one around that time.

Thats the thing about many of the newer phones, too stinking big to carry imho... the iPhones are pushing the limit with a case protector (Brother wouldn't carry when we went on walks hunting, too bulky when you have other stuff).

I don't like to carry my iPhone 5 with its OtterBox Defender in my pocket. My work pants have cargo pockets and that works well. While hunting the phone is in a ziplock bag in my vest or zipped into the chest pocket on my coat. I'm thinking of getting a small bumper case to use at other times.

I'm glad some of you love the big phone form factor, but I'm really happy with my small 4.0 inch phone.

I don't use an otterbox, just a rather small Joy Factory case, it fits fine in my front jeans pocket. But my kid has an Otterbox Defender on his iPhone 4S, and he often takes it off if he is wearing certain clothes, it won't fit.

I had a 4.3" Droid DX, and while the extra screen space was nice, the thing was big and clunky; I think the combination of the incredible light weight of the iPhone 5 and the 4" form-factor make it an ideal size. A bigger phone is not always better.

I said it before, but IMO, for the OS, the iphone screen is fine. It really does not need a bigger screen. Android phones on the other hand thrive with a larger viewing area because there is more going on with the widgets and whatnot. WP8 is kind of in the middle of that. A 4 incher might be a little cramped, but would be workable. The 4.3" on the 8x seems about right for that OS.

I still think the Note 2 is just too big for a phone that I would want to carry every day, but thats just me. Havent heard anyone that has one complain about it.

I know companies who are still just now releasing Windows 7 into their corporate environments.
This is most likely because they were waiting to see if the shipping version of Win8 brought any benefits. They remember all of the things that were left out of Win7 (many of which don't bow in Win8 either).

The new phone cases prevent many of the midsize phones from fitting comfortably in a pocket. I can't get over how these sticky rubber cases make digging a phone out so difficult.

I don't like to carry my iPhone 5 with its OtterBox Defender in my pocket. My work pants have cargo pockets and that works well. While hunting the phone is in a ziplock bag in my vest or zipped into the chest pocket on my coat. I'm thinking of getting a small bumper case to use at other times.

I'm glad some of you love the big phone form factor, but I'm really happy with my small 4.0 inch phone.
I, myself would never use an otter box. It defeats the purpose of having a small lightweight phone. I want the smallest and strongest case possible.

I got me a case from Monoprice for $4. Similar to the $50 to $80 cases they sale at big box stores, but only 1/20 of the price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1083111&p_id=9998&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

99981.jpg

A lot of cool cases to choose from on Monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=iphone+5+case

I'm not getting another Otterbox when we upgrade. The one for the 4S is a pain in that it still allows dust to get underneath the screen protector. I have to take it apart at least once a month to clean it. I've gone through 3 bumpers in just this year.

Are screen protectors really that important. iPads do not use them. I had a 3GS for years without a screen protector and it never got a scratch, even after bouncing down a road when I was hit by a car. I still haven't put one on my 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

The Otterbox for the 5 comes with a belt clip. It works very well and that's what I use unless wearing a suit. So I don't have to fumble getting it out of a pocket.

Dodger, I think it depends on your work environment. with what I do, a screen protector is a necessity.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)