What do you use for GPS in the car and are you happy with it?

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
My Toyoya Prius came with a built in GPS back in 2006 and it works well 99% of the time.Thinking of upgrading the maps soon but i have heard a map upgrade (DVD)from Toyota is very expensive unless i can find it eslewhere and upgrade it myself.I just bought my wife a Magellan Roadmate 3120-mu for xmas and will install that for her soon.Read mixed reviews on this but it was on sale for less than $80 so with money tight this year decided to give it a try.

I use a garmin nuvi. Love the device except the keyboard. The touch screen is horrible.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

My Town Car came with a built in navigation system and i sometimes use my GPS on my Android. I'm about to upgrade the sound system in the car and purchased a JVC that also has navigation built in (upgrades are free). I've been using GPS for about 6 years now. it's great and makes things easier but getting used to it has made me a little dumb when it comes to directions. i used to be great at it but i've become too dependent on the navigation system.

Garmin makes the best. Get one with lifetime maps. I'm not a fan of getting one built into the car because you end up overpaying for it, and you can't transfer it to another vehicle like if you rent one for vacations etc.

I just use the TomTom app on my iPhone. Very happy with it! (In fact, I have been using TomTom apps for years on 3 different phones.) It's always with me, no need to carry another GPS device when I travel, map updates are easy and free. You can also subscribe to traffic updates if need to.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My Town Car came with a built in navigation system and i sometimes use my GPS on my Android. I'm about to upgrade the sound system in the car and purchased a JVC that also has navigation built in (upgrades are free). I've been using GPS for about 6 years now. it's great and makes things easier but getting used to it has made me a little dumb when it comes to directions. i used to be great at it but i've become too dependent on the navigation system.

We become very dependent on it, and trust it in ways that can be foolish. Not only do GPS systems NOT have census tract data built in for socio-economic factors (i.e., a ghetto alert), but we will often travel on long trips without even thinking about bringing... gasp... a map. :)

While it would definitely not be politically correct, I think there could be serious money in the Ghetto alert. For example, four years ago, I was at a workshop at the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, and it was lunch time. I just wanted fast food. So I had Garmin tell me where the closest McDonald's was. Well... it found one, less than 2 miles away, but those 2 miles were pretty much in a TOTALLY DIFFERENT world. That said, I drove, got my Quarter Pounder to go, and went back to the cop shop. :)

I just use the TomTom app on my iPhone. Very happy with it! (In fact, I have been using TomTom apps for years on 3 different phones.) It's always with me, no need to carry another GPS device when I travel, map updates are easy and free. You can also subscribe to traffic updates if need to.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Same here. TomTom on iPhone with a dashboard mount.

Now I am waiting for a better navigation APP for my Galaxy Tablet and a decent mount. Nothing like using a 7.5" navigation screen.

wont google nav work on the tablet?
It has some navigation software, but it is not as good as TomTom, Garmin, or Magellan APP. The main thing is trying to find a good windshield or dashboard mount for it. Anyone have any suggestions for a 7.5" Galaxy tablet car mount?

Last edited:
Our vehicles have factory installed Nav systems. I probably won't buy another car without it. We have a Garmin 3750 for travel. I've also got Navigon on my iPhone, 'just in case I need it'. The Navigon app is really pretty slick.

I got a TomTom XXL with lifetime maps for Christmas last year. When it works, it's really good. But last week we drove to Las Vegas and back, and for some reason the "Navigate To" feature caused the unit to reset every time I tried it. Maybe something in the unit's memory got corrupted. I used OnStar directions to get around. When I got back home, I reloaded the maps and everything works again.

I got a TomTom XXL with lifetime maps for Christmas last year. When it works, it's really good. But last week we drove to Las Vegas and back, and for some reason the "Navigate To" feature caused the unit to reset every time I tried it. Maybe something in the unit's memory got corrupted. I used OnStar directions to get around. When I got back home, I reloaded the maps and everything works again.
A couple years ago (CES) we were going to Orleans to watch Avatar and Scott's iPhone was telling us there was a turn ahead (was on the expressway)we passed that street overhead :D