What do you use for GPS in the car and are you happy with it?

In fairness, there was a time when CM7 had broken GPS for the HTC EVO 4G -- but I don't blame G-Nav for that.

Ahh well, constructum caveo (closest I could got to installer beware ;) )

Our Garmin Nuvi is several years old now and still does a decent job, at this time we would likely be wise to replace it other than upgrading the maps.

Two years ago I invested in Garmin Mobile PC which has been discontinued, it was like having a Garmin on your laptop, if you travel with the laptop accessible in a vehicle.

I use 2 tomtom devices. One is 3 years old and one is less than a year old. I chose these for ease of use. I tried garmin, tomtom, and a couple others. I was able to set my destinations very quickly using the tomtom while the menus on the others seemed cumbersome to me. The maps on most units are all pretty good these days, but look for a model with free lifetime map updates.

Everyone has their opinion on each unit. Try the ones you are interested in, then decide from your experience.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Just a follow up on this. I just returned for Ohio, Tennessee and the Kentucky area. Some have said they use a smartphone GPS. I found out it's not always a good idea. I lost my phone signal many times in that area and never lost my Garmin GPS signal.

Agreed. When I am out in the country setting up a rally, I carry a Garmin on the windshield and a 3G enabled iPad. The iPad often stops updating, but the garmin always works. I keep the ipad going because it is a lot more flexible when it works.

After my travels I can honestly say I would never travel without a GPS now. The problem with my phone is I just don't know when I will lose my signal in some parts of the country. I can say that I never lost my GPS signal at any time. Also when I went to Maine I had some problems as well with my phone signal. My GPS never lost it's signal.

Last edited:
I currently use an Asus Transformer Infinity loaded with CoPilot GPS app for navigation. The maps can be preloaded and used " off-line ", so no constant connection is required. I also have an external Bluetooth GPS receiver ( GlobalSat BT-338 ) which I can pair with the tablet in case the internal GPS loses signal. I'm still a member of AAA, so I also get paper maps as backup AND print out detailed destination / waypoint maps from MapQuest or Google Earth. Haven't tried the new Tom Tom app for Android yet, but I used their WinMo PDA version for years. I won't touch any GPS app unless it has offline maps.

televisionarchives said:
How long can you go without a signal. I lost my phone signal for over an hour a few times.

As long as you use an app with offline maps (e.g. TomTom) the phone-based GPS is not dependent on the phone signal at all.

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

Christmas 2011 i bought my GF a garmn nuvi, it only lasted less than a year. about a month ago it began spontaneously rebooting, I wondered what was up with that? now its clicking, i assume it must have a hard drive thats toast, has anyone else had this problem?

i guess its time for a new one, mine is acting wierd too.

any advice on a new model

I use a Garmin 2495 I think it is, or it's the 25xx series, don't remember, I had both and returned one.

If I get the new Ford Fusion, it will have the Ford My Touch Navigation in it, heres hoping it's as good as the Garmin.

Christmas 2011 i bought my GF a garmn nuvi, it only lasted less than a year. about a month ago it began spontaneously rebooting, I wondered what was up with that? now its clicking, i assume it must have a hard drive thats toast, has anyone else had this problem?

i guess its time for a new one, mine is acting wierd too.

any advice on a new model

Bob,
IF you got it from Costco, you have a 2 year warranty, take it back, they will give you whatever one you want or give you your money back.

Bob,
IF you got it from Costco, you have a 2 year warranty, take it back, they will give you whatever one you want or give you your money back.

thats a great reason to join costco, unfortunately i bought the failed one from wallmart, and didnt bother with a extended warranty.

the nearest costco is in cranberry a good 12 miles away, which is why i havent shopped there, with the price of gas it just isnt worth the drive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts