What do you use for GPS in the car and are you happy with it?

How much do the GPS apps for tablets cost? I figured one could get a tablet with GPS for just a little more than what a GPS itself costs with how cheap some of the models are going for. Are there any open source apps out there for GPS that are good? How do the apps on the tablets compare to the actual GPS units?

How much do the GPS apps for tablets cost? I figured one could get a tablet with GPS for just a little more than what a GPS itself costs with how cheap some of the models are going for. Are there any open source apps out there for GPS that are good? How do the apps on the tablets compare to the actual GPS units?

The TomTom iPhone App with USA maps (which also works fine on iPad 3G) is $39.99 I believe. Map updates are free. Traffic alerts are extra.
The reason I say iPad 3G, because only the 3G version of iPad has GPS. But you do not need a data plan for TomTom to work: the maps are all pre-loaded.
Most of the "free" GPS apps require data connection (and consume a lot of bandwidth!)

Good Thread...'cause the wife has been wanting a GPS, some good info.

I use the free Google navigation app that came with my android phone, its the best nav app I have ever used on a cell phone. I really like how I can I can just say my destination without having to type everything in. I used to use Navigon on my iPhone before I upgraded, it was decent but pretty much useless for rural areas. MotionX was okay as well, however voice turn-by-turn directions are disabled if the iPhone has been jailbroken.

The problem with using a smart phone GPS is that it ties up your phone . I travel and listen to radio via my iphone and it wouldn't be practical . And in my experience the GPS is more reliable.

I've been debating about getting a Garmin nuvi for navigation. I already own a GPSMap60Cx with street maps, but its outdated. Works nearly every where except for new construction in the last five years. ;-). Still works, but its almost cheaper to get a nuvi with free updates.

I have been relying on Google navigation using my phone most of the time now. The only drawback I've had has to do with the life being sucked out of the battery very quickly. I got an hour off a 50% charge using it to get from JFK to Toms River, NJ a couple months back.

Two of our vehicles have a built in nav system. Much easier to use and I like the fact that it is a "clean" look. My pickup isn't really used for times that I don't already know where I'm going so it isn't an issue there, but I do have my iphone if needed.

The problem with using a smart phone GPS is that it ties up your phone . I travel and listen to radio via my iphone and it wouldn't be practical . And in my experience the GPS is more reliable.

I use TomTom on my iPhone and don't have any problem listening to the radio via the phone at the same time. I have the TomTom mount which also has the external GPS and it works fine.

I have a widescreen nuvi I use in my truck. My buddy works at Garmin, so I have been getting free updates for the past 2 years. My Jaguar I used to have had built in Nav, but I rarely used it, the Nuvi was some much quicker and easier to use. My business partner use to have a Mercedes and the Nav on it was a horror to use, always took my Garmin if we were going anywhere in his car. They had some pretty good deals on Nuvi's with lifetime map updates the past few weeks at various places. My sister bought another Nuvi w/ lifetime maps for their other car during the Black Friday sales.

You can do both. I listen to the radio (ooTunes, MLB, or XM) and use the TomTom simultaneously.

Here is one for the iPad. CoPilot Live HD North America for iPad on the iTunes App Store The reviews are less than flattering though. 30 bucks

You can do both. I listen to the radio (ooTunes, MLB, or XM) and use the TomTom simultaneously.

My AT&T iPhone runs the map and still works as a phone.

When you answer a call, TomTom gives you an option to keep the navigation screen on during the call. It mutes the voice announcements, but you can still watch the moving map. In fact TomTom was among the first iPhone's multi-tasking apps.

I had two tomtom's (XL and I'm not sure the other one) and I will never again buy another one. They where constantly off and I mean by miles. The only reason I got the second one was the first one died under warranty. After the last one I bought a refurbished garmin nuvi 240 and I couldn't be happier. I drive for a living and being late or getting lost cost me money.

Turns out with these models had NAVTEQ or Tele Atlas mapping data and NAVTEQ is generally considered better (being more up to date). You can guess as to which one TomTom Used. This may have changed.

So IMHO I always recommend garmin.

Last edited:
I had two tomtom's (XL and I'm not sure the other one) and I will never again buy another one. They where constantly off and I mean by miles. The only reason I got the second one was the first one died under warranty. After the last one I bought a refurbished garmin nuvi 240 and I couldn't be happier. I drive for a living and being late or getting lost cost me money.

Turns out with these models had NAVTEQ or Tele Atlas mapping data and NAVTEQ is generally considered better (being more up to date). You can guess as to which one TomTom Used. This may have changed.

So IMHO I always recommend garmin.

I am not going to argue which maps are better Navtech or Tele Atlas. There is a long-standing debate in the Internet about it, and the only thing it proves, if anything, is that no maps are perfect and that your mileage may vary. ;)

One thing I can say from my own experience is that TomTom maps have improved dramatically over the past few years. Several years ago (around the time when your quoted article was written), I too had a lot of issues with TomTom maps: missing exits, wrong or missing addresses, nonexistent road-blocks. Once it even tried to take me to a one-way street in the wrong direction. Ouch!
I didn't have too many issues in the past couple of years though. All problems that I had in the past have been corrected and to my surprise even some very recently added exits are already present in the map.

Again, I am not saying that TomTom is perfect (or that it is better than other navigation systems), but it works pretty well for me. Way better than it did a few years back.

With some of the comments in here, I have to wonder if they've actually used Google Nav. Very accurate for me on both android phones I've used and contrary to the earlier poster, I have no problems using my phone as a phone while running the nav app. In addition, they have integrated street view so that you can visually spot your destination.

Not trying to start a fight, I'm saying my experience is extremely positive.

I've only ever used my Android phones for navigation, haven't ever really had a problem with it and has never made me wish I had paid for another app or device for the same purpose.

It's made me really lazy about some things too. Think I know where something is at? Oh well, press a button "Navigate to...", confirm it heard me right, and start the car.