Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
2012 had a lot of things going on for it in 2012, but it also had some disapointments as well.

So what do you think were the big disapointments and why?

For me it was...

The Apple iPhone 5 - It's the phone we have all been waiting for for a few years now, and because its a milestone number we expect a lot from Apple, instead we get a phone which should have been called the iPhone 4S+ as its just like an iPhone 4S with bigger screen and a new connector which makes all of our docking stations, radio and cables we have collected over the years useless. Sure it might have a faster CPU but in the end its the same old iPhone we have been running for years.

Windows 8 - The next generation of Windows took a trip back to the land of what the hell is this?! It might be nice if you have a touchscreen but if you are a computer professional there is no way you want this piece of crap software update on your office desktop PC. Whats with these Windows 8 apps anyways? Is this an OS or a phone emulator? And where the hell is the X button to close out these programs. I can't see ANY business wanting to move to Windows 8 until they do point of sale types of things. This is not a Windows Upgrade, its a downgrade. And the 1980's called and Colleco wants it ugly color menus back!

CNET recently did both a best of and worst of in several categories that are worth looking at.

Nobody in the press dare talk poorly of Apple lest they be denied being part of the joy-joy.

I guess I'd better look to buy a few W7 OS CDs, for future use.

I wouldn't worry too much. Microsoft has a habit of making their mistakes "never was". When an OS becomes an embarrasement (e.g. Windows ME and VISTA), Microsoft will extend support for one additional generation. I expect they will cancel plans to obsolete XP support next year.

I wouldn't worry too much. Microsoft has a habit of making their mistakes "never was". When an OS becomes an embarrasement (e.g. Windows ME and VISTA), Microsoft will extend support for one additional generation. I expect they will cancel plans to obsolete XP support next year.

They won't do that. They will just support Windows 7 longer.

The patent lawsuits that seem to be getting worse each month. Apple vs Samsung was the worst this year.

The patent lawsuits that seem to be getting worse each month. Apple vs Samsung was the worst this year.

I started to post this too, but was thinking actual gadgets....but I fully agree.

Vita, Wii U, Apple Maps. iPhone 5 is disappointing, but it's just further iteration on a working formula. My picks are outright across the board tech-related disappointments.

I think Windows 8 is an easy pick, but once people actually start using it they'll come around. So much more to it than the UI, and even then the UI isn't that bad. It's just change. Ironicly the same lack of change is why some could make a case for the iPhone 5 to make this list.

I think Windows 8 is an easy pick, but once people actually start using it they'll come around. So much more to it than the UI, and even then the UI isn't that bad. It's just change. Ironicly the same lack of change is why some could make a case for the iPhone 5 to make this list.

Windows 8 may not be a disaster for home use but it is one of the biggest disasters for corporations. It is going to be a training nightmare and is going to cost medium to large companies millions if not billions of loss productivity and training.

I'd go out on a limb and say Apple in general. Even though I am thoroughly satisfied with my iPhone 5, I can't same the same about OS X Mountain Lion, iCloud, iOS 6, Photo Stream, iTunes 11. Two years ago, Apple could do no wrong. Now, they seem to be having a hard time releasing a solid product at launch.

The whole reason I switched to the Apple ecosystem in 2007 was to get away from the Windows headache. Apple stuff Just Worked. Sad to say, that doesn't seem true today.

Oh, and lets not forget the Google Q: a music and video streamer with built-in amplification so it requires heavy speaker cables be run along with power, HDMI, Ethernet, etc., into a ball the size of a softball.

And it wouldn't play music or video stored on your Android. Record something unique that you want to share and it better be in the cloud, otherwise it's inaccessible from the Q.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)