Bill Gates thinks MS has lost some innovation

Since when has Microsoft had innovation? They purchased what became MS-DOS from Tim Paterson. They ripped off the GUI of the Macintosh OS from Apple (who originally ripped it off from Xerox). The only thing I can think of that they were innovative on was the BASIC programming language for the Altair 8800.

Since when has Microsoft had innovation? They purchased what became MS-DOS from Tim Paterson. They ripped off the GUI of the Macintosh OS from Apple (who originally ripped it off from Xerox). The only thing I can think of that they were innovative on was the BASIC programming language for the Altair 8800.

Apple licensed the GUI interface from Xerox in a deal that allowed Xerox to purchase 100,000 shares of Apple before their I.P.O. about a year later. Xerox later sold the stock for a nice profit. I fail to see how this constitutes "ripping it off from Xerox."

Apple licensed the GUI interface from Xerox in a deal that allowed Xerox to purchase 100,000 shares of Apple before their I.P.O. about a year later. Xerox later sold the stock for a nice profit. I fail to see how this constitutes "ripping it off from Xerox."

Never heard that, but it would not surprise me. I did hear that they were inspired by the Alto system they saw. So was MS for that matter.

Many great things came out of PARC, Ethernet, Laser Printers, modern GUIs etc. That would have been an amazing place to work in its heyday.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

As for the recent and past lack of innovation at M$ it is readily apparent that Steve Ballmer lost his mind some time ago probably about the time Windows Vista came out! You heard it first here as I type this on a windows 7 box.:D
M$ did however write a lot of code for Apple at one time prior to widows 95 just saying .
Winows 95 progress Windows 98 a step back ,Windows XP progress Windows Vista a step back ,Windows7 progress,Windows 8 .........
waiting for windows 9

Last edited:
Since when has Microsoft had innovation?
Probably some back in the days of MBASIC and perhaps even as late as Multiplan. The rest has been largely gluing together the works of others (whether compensated or not).

The fatal error that Microsoft makes is in assuming that porting through five development platforms will somehow hide the origins of the algorithms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)