Billing: "Advanced Receiver Monthly" - $20/mo. Also, base pckg - $4+/mo?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jhetfield99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
NW Indianapolis
On their most recent bill (statement date 3/28/12), has anyone else been stuck with some puzzling new "advanced Receiver Monthly" charge of $20/mo? I'm on hold for the 4th time now during this call with one of their reps (clicking over 30 mins now of time I've had with this rep) trying to explain how this is a new charge "to cover all of my HD and DVR access", which is 100% BS.

I've had Plus HD-DVR package/service since I jumped to Direct in Aug of 2007. I'm assuming that's now a grandfathered/old package and what I have channel line up-wise is some form of Choice Extra. When I re-upped my contract in Aug 2010 I added whole-home which added a $3/mo charge. At that time, I also got a free new HD box replacing an old SD, kept my original HR-20, and got a new HR-24 that replaced another SD box. Also, by signing up for online billing, they gave me "24 months of free HD access", I pushed them on that since I said it was dumb they were giving new customers at that time "free lifetime HD", but not willing to do the same for an existing, good standing customer. The 24 months was the compromise (with my guess being within 24 months everything would be free Hi-Def, which now I'd say appears unlikely.)

Now going on 36 mins with the guy still trying to tell me the $20 is for HD and DVR access even though I've always had those and always paid for those as part of the base package.

Just curious if anybody else was getting railroaded and if so, your solution for getting out of it.

Unrelated, I see my base Plus HD-DVR has now jumped $4, from $82.99 per month to $86.99. I think this is on top of a $3 increase last fall, $4 I think last spring, and going all the way back to Aug of 2010, I believe the monthly package cost started at $69/mo. So honestly, some pretty significant increases in that span. Is there anything you can do as a customer to say no to this or limit this? If not, what stops them from cranking it up a collective $8 or so a year annually.

When I've bitched about it each time it went up in the past, the most they've done is say ~"sorry this is due to our programming costs going up 10% and we're only charging you half. Here is 3 months of Free starz. Thanks mmmkay". So is this accurate? It's literally "the cost of doing business" and I should get pissed at ESPN and such for jacking up their prices and overpaying for the NFL and SEC and such, which eventually gets down to us?

Now at 58 mins, I've got them down to $8 per mo for "DVR access", back on hold again as I explain for the 50th time this was all free before and has been for the life of my DirecTV stay. I've been off and on hold 8 times as the rep is waiting for his supervisor. At least I think he now understands my points and is on my side. Fun times.

Thank you for the link to that thread. I glanced through all of the changes mentioned. But for me, here is the key: I have HD-DVR which included HD and DVR service in the total package price, hence any new fee for DVR service is new fee.

Plus it says this: Applies to accounts created on/after Feb 9, 2012 only.

I've had an account since Aug 2007.

You're on an old plan so on 2/9 they changed the names of the plan.

On my bill (since I dont have MRV) its broken down
03/18 - 04/17 Advanced Receiver-HD 10.00
Monthly
03/18 - 04/17 Advanced Receiver-DVR 8.00
Monthly

The $10 HD fee is waived in the credits but the $8 is the DVR fee

Unrelated, I see my base Plus HD-DVR has now jumped $4, from $82.99 per month to $86.99.
that is correct but the $20 fee is on top of that? If so that is wrong. The package liek that was the programming + DVR fee + HD. You got moved to in essence Choice Xtra Classic (the Choice Xtra package pre 2/9) which is now 68.99 so 68.99 + 10 for HD + 8 for DVR is...ta da 86.99

so if they are charging you $20 extra then they need to change the package price to 68.99 for Choice Xtra Classic

I checked my account online and they've credited $20. So I guess it computes out. We'll see what happens next month and if they try again to bill me $20 for the advanced receiver on top of what is now $86.99 for PLUS HD DVR montly.

What does MRV mean?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)