birddog driver download

Status
Please reply by conversation.

girlinstaller

Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
So i just bought a version 2.5 birddog. my problem is i cant download the drivers because my laptop doesn't have a 9-pin serial port. First i tried buying a ethernet to usb cord and bypassing the 9pin all together well that didnt work so i bought a 9-pin male -usb and just have 2 cords between the computer and the birddog. Problem is i still cant get it to work. I have windows vista. Can anyone help me? TIA

the birddog just has like an Ethernet port but the cable that came with it was Ethernet - 9-pin cable so i bought a 9-pin to usb cable. I tried to download the usb drivers but vista wont accept it. Anyone else tried to do this?

Why not just use the ethernet port connected ftom laptop to birddog? Possibly through an ethernet switch. The ethernet to series cables was probably uncluded incase a user doesn't have en ethernet port on their PC.

So i just bought a version 2.5 birddog. my problem is i cant download the drivers because my laptop doesn't have a 9-pin serial port. First i tried buying a ethernet to usb cord and bypassing the 9pin all together well that didnt work so i bought a 9-pin male -usb and just have 2 cords between the computer and the birddog. Problem is i still cant get it to work. I have windows vista. Can anyone help me? TIA

I have the same meter and use Birdog supplied cord to a serial adapter to a USB (which it looks like you are now doing). Go into your device manager and change the comm port. For some reason, it seems to default to port 4, but port 2 works on my set-up.

I have the same meter and use Birdog supplied cord to a serial adapter to a USB (which it looks like you are now doing). Go into your device manager and change the comm port. For some reason, it seems to default to port 4, but port 2 works on my set-up.
do you have windows vista? I went to control panel/ system/device manager/ but i cant find anything there that says com port or anything like that. could you help me from that point

do you have windows vista? I went to control panel/ system/device manager/ but i cant find anything there that says com port or anything like that. could you help me from that point

Don't have Vista in front of me right now (XP on this machine) butI think it is control panel, system, hardware, device manager, USB controller, (select device) - change comm port.

Anyone running Vista in front of them please chime in.

Last edited:
Question from the uninformed.
Why would the meter have an ethernet port if it can't be used directly?
Wouldn't it have been easier if the meter had a mini USB port?

Question from the uninformed.
Why would the meter have an ethernet port if it can't be used directly?
Wouldn't it have been easier if the meter had a mini USB port?

Yes, it would be easier and later models do have a USB port.

On this model there is an "ethernet type" port - you connect the cable which came with the meter to this port - but the other end of that cable is a 9 pin serial (who has one of those these days?). Thus the need for the serial to USB adapter.

Remember, this is only used to update or change the sats stored in the meter's memory - so it's not used very often at all.

Since you have Vista, it may be that a driver doesn't exist for Vista. WinXP may have a driver in its system. Do a search for the Vista driver on the website for the serial to USB adapter.

ok after trying a million different things i now have the driver for the cord that goes usb-9pin Now i have a new problem I installed the driver for the birdog and also downloaded the sats i need I hook the birdog up to the cable i bought and it wont power up and vista wont reconise that it is plugged in I changed it to com2 still nothing.

ok after trying a million different things i now have the driver for the cord that goes usb-9pin Now i have a new problem I installed the driver for the birdog and also downloaded the sats i need I hook the birdog up to the cable i bought and it wont power up and vista wont reconise that it is plugged in I changed it to com2 still nothing.

OK, here is how I do mine. I hook up the BD cord to the meter then attach the serial to USB cord to the BD cord. Next, USB into computer USB. DO NOT TURN ON THE METER.

Wait a moment and the display on the meter will say something like "Programming". When that shows, you have connectivity. If you don't get a message in the BG meter window, change comm ports till you do (wait a minute or so between changes). When you get the BD message, upload the file.

Remember, on that model meter you can only download a certain # of sats and there are several files that say that they are only for later meters. Assume you are using the Perfect-ten site? They explain it fairly well.

Keep at it - once you get it you probably will never need to do it again - or at least not very often at all.

wow this thing is giving me fits its like no matter how i do it it will only recognize the cord ugh i guess i just have to keep at it. i even have all the cords hooked up to the birdog than plug in the usb port still nothing it wont even try to work. :rant:

wow this thing is giving me fits its like no matter how i do it it will only recognize the cord ugh i guess i just have to keep at it. i even have all the cords hooked up to the birdog than plug in the usb port still nothing it wont even try to work. :rant:

What happens when you turn the meter on with no cords attached? You sure batteries are charged & OK?

I've read of ways to blank out the meter's memory, but need to look for the info.

You going to have to find or purchase the data cable for the birdog 2.5. I think Sadoun has some for sale for less than 5 bucks.

Try send them an email since they are one of site sponsors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.