Birdog USB with Win CE or Linux?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alteng

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Has anyone tried using Windows CE or Linux to do data transfers to the Birdog USB 4 ? I'm looking at the possible purchase of a netbook that runs CE just for this purpose, assuming it works. It seems I read somewhere that CE only sees keyboard and mouse USB devices.
Also, has anyone found a way to do transfers using Linux/Wine? It seems that the Birdog people like to pretend that MAC and Linux don't exist.

alternate solution

I'm looking at the possible purchase of a netbook that runs CE just for this purpose,
I have a number of older laptops, all of which have real serial and parallel ports.
People throw those away, yet they often have very good screens.
I keep a pair of old P1-100 Toshiba, and several P1-233 NEC units, even though I gave away some faster P2 and P3-500/650 units which didn't have the ports.

The driver CDM 2.04.06.exe works great but definitely does not work with Windows CE and I can't imagine it working with any of the linux based OS, manufacturers are not going to write programs for the minorities OS.
I am not sure why you would want to buy a net book that does not have a full Windows OS
I am with you Anole, I keep 2 older HPs laptops with reliable serial ports.

Minority?

The driver CDM 2.04.06.exe works great but definitely does not work with Windows CE and I can't imagine it working with any of the linux based OS, manufacturers are not going to write programs for the minorities OS.
I am not sure why you would want to buy a net book that does not have a full Windows OS
I am with you Anole, I keep 2 older HPs laptops with reliable serial ports.

Well, Linux has many tens (probably hundreds) of millions of worldwide users so it's not so small as you think. In fact, it's growing VERY fast, and manufacturers would be wise to start supporting it. Many have already done so. It's not a matter of writing large programs as such. In fact, given the needed info from the manufacturers Linux people regularly write the necessary code (as in drivers) FOR FREE. I wasn't asking about running the exe file directly under Linux, but rather under Wine, which is a Linux add-on that allows many Windows apps to flawlessly under Linux. The USB drivers in Wine seem to be the problem here. As to the netbook, like I said, I was looking into buying a cheap netbook in order to run the exe file in question - for nothing else. Simply because of no Linux support for this transfer utility. Linux does everything else I want to do (and more), and it has been that way for years. In fact, most people could do the same if they looked into it. BTW, I've been doing PC work (and training) for decades (long before Linux), so that's no idle boast. I've spent many years on both ends of the stick - both MS and Linux. Yes Anole, that is a good point, but all my old laptops have been converted to run Linux. In fact, it's been so long since I needed to use windows for anything that I disposed of all windows stuff entirely. I live in a rural area. When I don't want old laptops and HDs (with windows) I'm tripping on them. When I DO want one - like now - they can't be found. Murphy wins again. All because of one "driver".

Last edited:
Some of the really older laptops had hard drives that were easily removable.
I used to routinely pop in a bsd or windows drive to swap back and forth. (no pun intended)
That might possibly be an option, or a new direction to think about.

The other fun story, is an old HP Celeron 466 (?) micro tower my lawyer gave me after he'd run it into the ground.
I pulled out the dust bunnies, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the OS.
It proceeded to run here on a dedicated task with two serial ports for another five (?) years 'till the job ended.
Then, a buddy needed a computer for his Dad, and we shipped it off to the wilds of Oregon where it ran 'till he bought a new one.
So, that little toad lived three lives (thank goodness it didn't have the dreaded bad-capacitor syndrome!) and if I can get it back will be given to some children I know!
Point being, any small desktop a neighbor puts out for the trash, might be a good candidate - just keep it in the garage. ;)

Alteng > I used to write Unix eons back and as you say millions may well use the now many Linux development style systems but there are so many add ons available, code/ driver compatibility becomes a problem.

Ditto

Alteng > I used to write Unix eons back and as you say millions may well use the now many Linux development style systems but there are so many add ons available, code/ driver compatibility becomes a problem.

Of course you're both absolutely right. I've been building/repairing custom PCs since the stone age, and I usually do exactly what you suggest Anole. Over the period of a year I usually build up a gaggle of such machines, install Linux, and give 'em away (free) to those who want to get online but can't afford it. Problem this time is that all those free/cheap hulks that I usually obtain have dried up out here in the sticks. Since devaluation of the $$ they're trying to sell 'em out here for $150 and up. BTW, most aren't worth the price of a postage stamp as they are, but that's life out here. Same applies to old Windows OSs - even on fleabay. Only such machine I've come close to was yesterday at a yard sale. They said they "gave it away" the day before. Sigh.... Last year I was tripping over give-aways everywhere I went. Not now. It's getting like the old Soviet Union where everything and anything was valuable for parts or scrap - at least out here in the boonies. I expect the cities will eventually follow suit. Anyway, since my supply of such dried up I'm like the proverbial quacker out of H2O. Killer is that Linux does everything else I need (and more), and that's saying something since I'm an old (but up-to-date) techie whose early PC days go back to the Timex Sinclair and TRS-80. Today, from hi-res graphics, CAD/CAM to electronic design/sim, flight sims, etc etc.... Linux does it all for me w/o the hassle (and cost) of AVirus, malware, etc. (or $$$). :O) Yes, pedrogarcia. On the driver issue I agree, but there's always some coder or group of coders willing to take on a small driver/app for the Linux community - IF they can pry the vital info out of the hands of the manufacturer. That situation is improving, but problem areas like this one still exist. I did a lil programming back in the early stone age, so I'm tempted to try it myself....alas I have too many other irons in the fire. * I may have just found someone on CL willing to sell me an old ME or 2000 that they were about to trash. Since it's only for occasional offline use that would be fine. Still, it would be nice if all manufacturers at least offered the tidbits of info necessary for driver construction w/o so much hassle. After all, the volunteer coders are offering to do the work for free. That's my two cents worth, which is currently worth about 2/1000 of the "old" 2 cents. I'll resist that rant. ;)

Last edited:
I am not sure whether Birdog or Horizon in the UK are the original manufacturer but both might be worth an email. A linux driver might well be of value to them as well if you can get it coded

I am not sure whether Birdog or Horizon in the UK are the original manufacturer but both might be worth an email. A linux driver might well be of value to them as well if you can get it coded

Yes, you would think it would be beneficial to them, but I spoke with someone who claims that he had already mentioned it to them and got nowhere. Another manufacturer I spoke to said that they were having trouble with people buying Asian clones and using their software and download facilities. So, he is implementing a web-only update/download process that uses a small proprietary software routine to implement customer-only accessibility. BTW, he HAD seen the need for Linux compatibility, even before our discussion! That was encouraging. Anyway, it's becoming a nightmare. It's a bit like the driver situation used to be for almost all PC peripheral drivers in the old days. Manufacturers had the mistaken idea that their drivers (that only worked on their own products) had to be safeguarded behind locked doors, and could only be provided through tech support. Naturally that was a big mistake and is no longer the case. Oh well, I'm too busy to get involved with all the politics and misguided policies that stand between a small (home) developer and the manufacturers. It reminds me a bit of how IBM killed their own PC monopoly. Taiwan (and others) finally reverse engineered IBM (and Apple) products and then used that info to design their own compatible products (at lower cost). Since many (if not most) meters are (IMO) vastly overpriced that will probably happen again in this area. Manufacturers various policies are aggravating the situation and giving overseas companies the knee-up boost that they need. I've worked knee-deep in high-tech electronic manufacturing and related industries all my life, so I hate to see it happen. It's like watching a huge train wreck in slow motion (and deja-vu). I tried to avoid that rant.... but failed miserably. Sorry. Doh! (best Homer S. voice)

Has anyone tried using Windows CE or Linux to do data transfers to the Birdog USB 4 ? I'm looking at the possible purchase of a netbook that runs CE just for this purpose, assuming it works. It seems I read somewhere that CE only sees keyboard and mouse USB devices.
Also, has anyone found a way to do transfers using Linux/Wine? It seems that the Birdog people like to pretend that MAC and Linux don't exist.

I'm using a dual boot WinXP/Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system. I'll do some experimenting this weekend with Wine and let you know what I find out. I've been wanting to do this for a while but kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Aha! Another Penguin (Linux mascot)!

I'm using a dual boot WinXP/Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system. I'll do some experimenting this weekend with Wine and let you know what I find out. I've been wanting to do this for a while but kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Good idea TRG. I think I read a post on a Wine forum whereby someone said that 10.0x with Wine was working with USB devices in general. Hard to imagine how after doing a lil research on the subject, but there's always hope. As a more immediate fix to my problem I'm headed out to try and find an old win PC this morning at a yard sale (again). I hate to keep an extra box around (in the way) just for updating my birdog meters, but so be it, for now at least. BTW, I tried 10.0 when it was first birthed, but wasn't impressed - too many weird bugs back then. According to recent posts I've read they seem to have made vast improvements, and have banished those bugs. Fingers crossed. I'm running 9.10 currently. BTW, I've tried all the major distros (for years). PClinux was my fav until KDE 4 - ugh!

Getting back to the original question...
I am running ubuntu 10.10 with Gnome 2 on a lenovo T400.
I have been trying to get the Birdog to work in wine today. I installed the windows driver (CDM_2.04.06.exe) in wine from the command prompt:

cd Downloads
wine CDM_2.04.06.exe

It seems to install with out any errors. Now, I am trying to figure out how to launch the software or to get wine to detect the meter when its plugged in and launch the software. In windows, the Birdog interface launches automatically when it detects the meter is plugged in. Its probably wishful thinking that it would work without a proper linux driver but it was worth a shot in wine. I havent looked in the wine forums yet for any discussion of the birdog. Thats as far as I got. And an email to Birdog tech support. Would love to make it work in linux. Anytime I can eliminate the need to boot to windows and wait, wait, wait forever for the desktop to load, is a small personal victory.

Running Birdog software in wine

Ok, so I able to make the software work in Wine but there is still a problem with the serial to USB converter. Here is what I have done so far:

downloaded windows driver from Birdog.
then in command prompt typed:

cd Downloads
wine CDM_2.04.06.exe

then downloaded configuration file from Birdog site (not zipped)
in command prompt typed:

cd Downloads
wine rad171CA.exe (or whatever the config file name is)

The Birdog interface window popped up and I got this error:
"Can't load USB driver but serial ports can still be used"
So there is still a driver issue but Im still working on it. At least the application window seems to pop up and looks the same as in windows.

Getting back to the original question...
I am running ubuntu 10.10 with Gnome 2 on a lenovo T400.
I have been trying to get the Birdog to work in wine today. I installed the windows driver (CDM_2.04.06.exe) in wine from the command prompt:

cd Downloads
wine CDM_2.04.06.exe

It seems to install with out any errors. Now, I am trying to figure out how to launch the software or to get wine to detect the meter when its plugged in and launch the software. In windows, the Birdog interface launches automatically when it detects the meter is plugged in. Its probably wishful thinking that it would work without a proper linux driver but it was worth a shot in wine. I havent looked in the wine forums yet for any discussion of the birdog. Thats as far as I got. And an email to Birdog tech support. Would love to make it work in linux. Anytime I can eliminate the need to boot to windows and wait, wait, wait forever for the desktop to load, is a small personal victory.

Has anyone tried using Windows CE or Linux to do data transfers to the Birdog USB 4 ? I'm looking at the possible purchase of a netbook that runs CE just for this purpose, assuming it works. It seems I read somewhere that CE only sees keyboard and mouse USB devices. Also, has anyone found a way to do transfers using Linux/Wine? It seems that the Birdog people like to pretend that MAC and Linux don't exist.
I've used the Birdog with a Linux host running a Windows XP guest OS. You'll need Virtualbox and Guest Additions to run Windows on a Linux host. Don't bother with using Wine.

I've used the Birdog with a Linux host running a Windows XP guest OS. You'll need Virtualbox and Guest Additions to run Windows on a Linux host. Don't bother with using Wine.

Interesting. I havent messed with Virtualbox yet. Thanks for the idea.

Amused.

Anyway, since my supply of such dried up I'm like the proverbial quacker out of H2O. Killer is that Linux does everything else I need (and more), and that's saying something since I'm an old (but up-to-date) techie whose early PC days go back to the Timex Sinclair and TRS-80.
I just get amused anytime I see someone mention the old trash 80's. I've only liked the Mint series on Linux. Have a friend that has been playing w/ Nux for a long time and is about to give up on Ubuntu and go to mint.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts