Birdview's equal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
DH Satellite truely has some of the nicest spun aluminum dishes I've seen. I think there is even a perforated one available. Not sure, but although they seem to be geared for commercial use, sure be nice to see one of those 2.4M ones in my back yard. Didnt notice any prices. Question is, how would this one stack up to the Birdview?

They have lots of 54" perforated for $35 if you buy 10. That's for the disk only.
I thought about getting one for a Mini-Bud

The specs are as follows:

1/8” perf
15.9 Depth
25 lbs
.110 Aluminum
22” f/l
.4f/d
Gain at 4 Ghz 33db
12Ghz 42.5db
Efficiency @ 60%
C band 1db H plan 2.1 deg.
Force pounds at +60 deg @ 90mph 620 lbs 33lbs/sq ft.

Keep in mind this antenna does require crating to ship and crate charge is $75. We can put a stack of 25 in the crate for the same crate charge.

Sincerely

Cindy Wille
DH Antenna
600 N MARQUETTE RD
PRAIRIE DU CHIEN WI 53821 USA
PH: 1-608-326-8406 X 120
FAX: 1-608-326-4233

back in the day...

A minimal Birdview package cost $2000 with your choice of the 8½ white solid or black perforated dish.
That included their low end receiver.
The dish says: "manual polar mount", and included their robust 6" pole!

For $2500, you got a receiver with "antenna controller", and the same choice of dishes.
The dish had: "polar mount with integral motorize worm drive".

Hard to put a price on the receiver in the day.
I know my old Toshiba went for $1000 or $1200 back then, and it controlled a motor.
I've seen adverts for cheap packages, so there must've been inexpensive receivers available.

Could you say the Birdview dish with the motorized mount was worth maybe $1500-1800?
It had a reputation for being high end.
And that was in 1980 or 1990 dollars.
What would those dollars at be worth today?

DH Satellite truely has some of the nicest spun aluminum dishes I've seen. I think there is even a perforated one available. Not sure, but although they seem to be geared for commercial use, sure be nice to see one of those 2.4M ones in my back yard. Didnt notice any prices. Question is, how would this one stack up to the Birdview?

Says the guy that lives in the middle of the most rich Birdview area ever invented. Guys, where swampman lives they are LITERALLY right next to the highway where you can see them.

Oh, and BTW, start working on your wife. C-band is going to take a BIGGER dish in the future, not smaller. :)

A minimal Birdview package cost $2000 with your choice of the 8½ white solid or black perforated dish.
That included their low end receiver.
The dish says: "manual polar mount", and included their robust 6" pole!

For $2500, you got a receiver with "antenna controller", and the same choice of dishes.
The dish had: "polar mount with integral motorize worm drive".

Hard to put a price on the receiver in the day.
I know my old Toshiba went for $1000 or $1200 back then, and it controlled a motor.
I've seen adverts for cheap packages, so there must've been inexpensive receivers available.

Could you say the Birdview dish with the motorized mount was worth maybe $1500-1800?

Well back when I was actually looking for one, I talked to 2 original owners. Both said basically the same thing. That purchase price was around 4K...about 1K more than the average dish of the same size. The people that bought the Birdviews, were, dare I say it, a step above(financially)other dish owners.
But as far as the actual quality of each, the DH may have the edge because to today's technology?

Says the guy that lives in the middle of the most rich Birdview area ever invented. Guys, where swampman lives they are LITERALLY right next to the highway where you can see them.

Aww...now you're making me blush. :eek:

Oh, and BTW, start working on your wife. C-band is going to take a BIGGER dish in the future, not smaller. :)

Hmmm...why is that?

Well back when I was actually looking for one, I talked to 2 original owners.
Both said basically the same thing.
That purchase price was around 4K...about 1K more than the average dish of the same size.
The people that bought the Birdviews, were, dare I say it, a step above (financially) other dish owners.
But as far as the actual quality of each, the DH may have the edge because to today's technology?
Well, it wasn't until last night, that I actually realized the Birdview brochure listed a dish withOUT a motor!
And, I've seen pictures of maybe two or three installed like that, compared to dozens with the motor!

I agree with your price estimate.
The high end model went for about $3500, with receiver.
And, I think installation cost was on top of that!

As to the accuracy or quality of the dishes, we may never know.
Not a lot of DH dishes in the hands of fellow members.
Actual specs on Birdviews are hard to come by, too.

.......high end model went for about $3500, with receiver.
And, I think installation cost was on top of that.......

The real selling point for a Birdview was that it could be successfully operated by someone who had absolutely zero electronic knowledge. Most people back then had to have "experimenter's blood" in their veins to try an install of a TVRO system.

My in-laws bought two systems (their sister lived next door in rural Northern Louisiana) and spent almost $10,000.00 in 1982 dollars. They were trouble free and could be operated by a six-year-old.

Sure, there are manufacturers who can spin or hydroform a dish to the same tolerance. But as a package, which included a dish, drive, and receiver there has not been anything marketed since then that even comes close to the owner satisfaction that a Birdview gave.

Wow, those prices are pretty high but I guess you are getting all new equipment. For the longest time I thought the $100.00 I paid was too much for my 12 ft Mesh Dish and working Uniden 9900 Receiver complete with Power Supply, Remote Control, and all manuals. We also had to diasssemble it and move it across the city, but now with everything working reasonably well I don't feel so bad!!

They are pricey. The advantage DH has is...they're still making them. However caddata made a good point earlier. As a package price, Birdview has the edge...maybe. Lets assume Birdview was still in business. By today's prices, what would the price be? Who knows...maybe not that far off the DH price after all. ;)

going with $1650 (mid-range of the dollars) and 1985 (mid-range of the year), a 2009 equivalent price would be $3,250.

going with $1650 (mid-range of the dollars) and 1985 (mid-range of the year), a 2009 equivalent price would be $3,250.

I'm thinking you're a little light on that price. My Dad got a cheapo brand in '83(with the hand crank at that)... $2900. As I stated earlier, Birdview owners claimed a $1000+ premium over standard systems.

In 1981 My Dad paid 2750.00 installed for a 10' Fiberglass four piece dish, hand cranked, with a Wilson YM-1000 Receiver. :)

I remember it like it was yesterday. :cool:

In 1981 My Dad paid 2750.00 installed for a 10' Fiberglass four piece dish, hand cranked, with a Wilson YM-1000 Receiver. :)

I remember it like it was yesterday. :cool:

Yep. Not only did my Dad's have the hand crank, but it also had no remote on the receiver. Had to actually get up to switch transponders. All done in a foot of snow, uphill, both ways. :eek: Ahhh... the good old days.

I'm thinking you're a little light on that price. My Dad got a cheapo brand in '83(with the hand crank at that)... $2900. As I stated earlier, Birdview owners claimed a $1000+ premium over standard systems.

I was just going with the figures given.

Assuming $2900 in 1983, the 2009 price equivalent would be $6165.

that's pretty amazing for a 8.5' dish that didn't have the H-H drive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)