Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
OK, I have just begun my first BitTorrent experience and I must confess, I am VERY disappointed. I am running Suse Linux 10 and generally condiser myself quite savy with PC's & networking, after all I am an MCSE. My current download rate is at 21Kbps and the upload (unrestricted) is 1Kbps.

Please tell me I am doing something wrong ... I do have a P4 2.8GHz HT with 1GB RAM, 250GB SATA HD and a stinking Cable Modem which normally produces 600KBps+ download speeds.

did you pick good servers? What NAT's are between you and them? Do you have the ports you need OPEN for this?

LER

Well, the server is in Denmark, but since Level3 has a trans-Atlantic pipe @2TB that should not be an issuse, the only NAT I am aware of is built into my router (I have ethereal but did not scan any packet routes. The ports I manually opened were 6881 (I think) and 4444, both were specified in the config.

bit torrent sucks, Ive used it only when its the only option and its always taken 2 - 10 times as long to download the files as it should. Its a truely crappy service when you think about the fact that it is only as good as the amount of other people who have the file you need to download and the quality of theyr connection as well.

Van said:
bit torrent sucks, Ive used it only when its the only option and its always taken 2 - 10 times as long to download the files as it should. Its a truely crappy service when you think about the fact that it is only as good as the amount of other people who have the file you need to download and the quality of theyr connection as well.
if you dont like bt van, what are your feelings on your employer do they suck as well?
my files always go over 70kbs, so maybe you just dont know what your doing?

stone phillips420 said:
if you dont like bt van, what are your feelings on your employer do they suck as well?
my files always go over 70kbs, so maybe you just dont know what your doing?

I thought we were talking about bt, not my employer nor what I do or dont know about how to use bt. But I'll pander briefly to your questions, no I dont think my employer sucks, actually I do know what Im doing with bt but I dont find it to be a reliable download utility due to its limitations wich are considerable.

ive been on bt for almost 3 years now, and i must say its far superior to kazaa, no viruses, file is always what its titled yeah sure some downloads never complete but thats due to the fact that most people are leeches and dont seed

Van said:
I thought we were talking about bt, not my employer nor what I do or dont know about how to use bt. But I'll pander briefly to your questions, no I dont think my employer sucks, actually I do know what Im doing with bt but I dont find it to be a reliable download utility due to its limitations wich are considerable.
the limitations you speak of there are none excxept for the other users, leechers sux and bring the bt experience down for everybody, kinda like your employer dishnet is only as good as its weakest link

I have downloaded about 400GB of TV shows over the course of the last year using BitTorrent. if im downloading a popular show, its quite fast.

In fact, last week I was on a cruise. We didnt get much television on board, so when we stopped in Boston, I went to a Starbucks and downloaded Lost and Veronica Mars from the night before in a couple of hours while I was getting caught up on my email and SatelliteGuys.

stone phillips420 said:
the limitations you speak of there are none excxept for the other users, leechers sux and bring the bt experience down for everybody, kinda like your employer dishnet is only as good as its weakest link

I really dont know what your issue is stone but if you have a problem with me then just say it, otherwise move on and go watch one of your 8 dishnetwork receivers that you have from a company that you seem to hate so much that you just cant seem to get away from them no matter how much you complain about them on these boards.

I'm not a fan of it personally.

Blizzard uses BitTorrent technology for their patch releases, which SUCKS.

slacker9876 said:
The ports I manually opened were 6881 (I think) and 4444, both were specified in the config.
There is likely your problem. It's actually a range of ports starting at 6881 going to 6999. BT uses TCP, so checking UPD isn't necessary. And I'm not sure what the 4444 port is for. Ever heard of it and never have opened it when I've used BT. Open up that range and your speeds will likely increase. Also remember that your download speeds are somewhat poportional to your upload speeds. You will only start to download at a trickle until you have enough to start sharing, then as others start downloading from you, your rates will increase (up to what can be supplied to you). But if only one person is seeding then you can only get as fast as they can send it to you.

Van said:
I really dont know what your issue is stone but if you have a problem with me then just say it, otherwise move on and go watch one of your 8 dishnetwork receivers that you have from a company that you seem to hate so much that you just cant seem to get away from them no matter how much you complain about them on these boards.
Van, i dent have a problem with you although it seems as if you have a opinion for everything under the son. My main problem exists with your employer, you right I don't like them and every chance i get ill tell everyone i know, i guess the reason you dent see many post by me about dtv is cause i feel the joy i also have service with your dishnet canada now bell expressvu, while there are occasional problems they are few and far between.
i guess what im saying is you should like bittorrnot in your case cause its is similar to your employer SECOND CLASS
I do not have distain or dislike for you van, it just seems as if your the dishnetwork robot know it all, where are you guys when i call everyday and email, no where to be found insteasd of hearing truth i get lies and hangups
in closing van i have no ill will
now to get back on topic
if your not happy with bt, maybe its your client i use bitcomet.60, it seems to be the easiest client to setup and mess with so you get good dl speeds and great ul speeds

these are my settings using bitcomet .60
under prefrences tab
connection
global max download rate no limit
global max upload rate 63 kbs
max simultanious download tasks 10
automatically start a new task if download rate below no limit
listen port 9440
these are just basic settings using comcast hi speed
8mps down 4mps up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harriet Miers Withdraws...

Free XM Skyfi 2 and $99 Myfis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)