BitTorrent? ... Seems more like BitTorture

Status
Not open for further replies.
cdru said:
There is likely your problem. It's actually a range of ports starting at 6881 going to 6999. BT uses TCP, so checking UPD isn't necessary. And I'm not sure what the 4444 port is for. Ever heard of it and never have opened it when I've used BT. Open up that range and your speeds will likely increase. Also remember that your download speeds are somewhat poportional to your upload speeds. You will only start to download at a trickle until you have enough to start sharing, then as others start downloading from you, your rates will increase (up to what can be supplied to you). But if only one person is seeding then you can only get as fast as they can send it to you.
Uh yaaaaaa ... I just read that ... range of ports. THANKS! Guess it helps to have more than one socket for any service. 4444 is the UDP port that Mr Cohen specifies to have open.

Provideing the others are done fighting in my thread, could we maybe start a tracker list in here? I would like to get some of the popular ones. I only get linux distros as of now but that could be expanded to "other" more illicit downloads just so I can see what all the hubbub is about.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Oh I also forgot ... I know that seeders and leaches are the main speed factors, but I have heard some guys RAVE about this app ... I am just no impressed so far. Perhaps it is best with copyrighted materials like Episode III ... wouldn't mind a copy of that one myself.

note that downloading copyrighted materials is against site policy as well as law.

You are very close to getting this thread killed.

LER

Just looking for trackers LER ... it is still legal here in the US, like I said "I only get linux distros."

Most of what I download on bt has been mmporg's out of europe and various locations from the asian pacific rim region. My settings are close to what stone has on his client, my connection speed now is 6 meg down, prior connection speeds were 1.5, 3, and 4 meg cable. In most all cases it has taken way to long to download any programs with one 600meg file taking 37 hours to download and it stopping at %82 at 37 hours.

Now, yes I have an opinion on dish related posts here because Ive been doing satellite installations for 5 + years to support myself and now my family that has come along. I for the most part enjoy my job and take a greater interest into all that it entails as compared to what my fellow employees does. Do I post on everything everyone posts here? no I do not because Im not that opinionated and there is still much I dont know as compared to others here such as scott or Neutron, simple, and Claude wich is why after a year I havent hit the 1,000 mark on my post's. Im not a robot for the company, Im not a pro company befor the person employee either and I am fully aware of my employers shortcomings as well as what makes it stand out.

If you have a problem with a part of your dishnetwork system I would be more than willing to talk to you about the problem to help you get it resolved regardless of your disdain for my employer. Your more than welcome to at any time send me a PM and I will do what I can to solve it right away or contact someone that I know to try and get it figured out. It doesnt bother me that you dont like my employer stone, I dont take it as a personal atack and feel no ill will towards you for it.

BitTorrent is great overall, but it's not really intended as a replacement for P2P apps or download libraries. It's great for distributing largish files to a lot of people quickly (the latest Linux builds is a good example), but it doesn't work well for keeping an archive of content.

If you're getting poor speeds, and you've ruled out your own network issues (ports, etc.) it could be that there aren't enough seeders for the file size, or the tracker server itself is slow or low-quality. BT doesn't work well with a really low number of users (private site) and it also doesn't work well with a TON of users (unless they all have high upload speeds).

As with everything else, it may or may not be the best solution for your needs.

As for the spyware question, BitTorrent is the protocol, so it all depends on what BitTorrent client you get. There are a ton of them, and it would be possible someone could put out a client with spyware...so be sure to get a client from a trusted place.

LER said:
note that downloading copyrighted materials is against site policy as well as law.

You are very close to getting this thread killed.

LER

Yah had Charter trace a download of a movie to my IP using bittorrent so I would tread lightly using it.

gl :cool:

I would recommend using the Azureus Bittorrent Client.

Vladd Bittorrent Help.

Ports can be vastly different for every user depending on what their ISP blocks or doesn't block, so that can require some tweak & test. The Azureus program has a port tester in it's setup wizard.

You WILL need to forward ports. You WILL need a UDP port open for the tracker, but just read those two help links for common problems and solutions.

I looked at Azureus but it seems so bloated compared to BitTorrent and KTorrent, both of which came bundled with my Suse 10 distro. Your other link is blocked by our firewall, but I'll check it out at home.

SO ... does anyone have way to get good tracker info? Amaxingly enough Google does not seem to have much in way of anything that is active.

Azureus is somewhat bloated compared to other clients, but it offers a lot of functionality that you may or may not need. You can limit your upload and download speeds, select to only download certain files from a torrent, and more.

If you don't need any of those more advanced functions, then you're probably better off with a basic client so it won't take resources, but some of that stuff can be really useful, especially if you're getting a huge torrent and you only need one file from it, etc.

BitTorrent user convicted spelling end to carefree file sharing
24 October 2005 - It might have become the norm to illegally download television shows and the latest blockbuster movies on the internet the day they are released, but all that is about to change with the news that a Hong Kong man has been convicted for illegally distributing movies over the internet using BitTorrent (BT) file sharing technology.

In what is believed to be the world's first criminal piracy case involving BT software, Chan Nai-ming has been found guilty of copyright infringement for putting three Hollywood movies onto the internet without authorization by using the popular BT peer-to-peer file-sharing program, a judiciary spokeswoman said.

The Hong Kong customs and excise department said the unemployed 38-year-old Chan, who was arrested in January, is the first person in the world to be charged with violating copyright laws through the use of BT technology.

Chan was released on bail of 5,000 hkd and a sentencing hearing has been scheduled for Nov 7.

BT is a popular computer program, which cuts the time needed to download files by breaking them into small packets that can be downloaded via a number of sources.

Last week the body that represents the film industry announced that it too was taking legal action against six websites posing as legitimate film and music download services.

It accused the services of charging to re-direct people to file-sharing sites where they can access illegal material.

"We won't tolerate this scam premised on the illegal swapping of valuable movie content," said the MPAA.

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) filed the suits in New York state courts.

The sites charge fees ranging from $20 for a three-month trial to $40 for life. Peer-to-peer networks are usually free to use.

The MPAA has taken aim at sites which let people share content via file-sharing and BitTorrent networks since last year.

In that decision, the US Supreme Court ruled that file-sharing networks could be liable if they encouraged users to copy movies, music and other protected works without permission.

Supporters of the technology say people want to use such networks to share content.

In other file sharing news, German media giant Bertelsmann is to launch a peer-to-peer network service to offer legal downloads of music and movies.

The service, dubbed Gnab, or 'bang' in reverse, is to go live in Germany by the end of this year, with an eventual rollout to other countries through 2006 and beyond, the company said.

Bertelsmann has prior experience with P2P networking, having invested in Napster, a move which foundered on lawsuits over copyright.

Gnab uses a decentralised P2P network to offer downloads whose original content is hosted on centralised servers.

The service will be licensed to partners which can use it to sell their own downloads, meaning that consumers only will get to use it if they go through a particular partner or company.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=1841

As that article mentioned, the MPAA has been focusing on BitTorrent sites for the past year or so. Many major sites have been shut down in that time, leading to a huge fragmentation of the "market" (for lack of a better word). It definitely isn't a safe or anonymous way to break the law, but in general they only go after the sites themselves, not the users. This article may be the first indication that they're changing that approach.

puck71 said:
As that article mentioned, the MPAA has been focusing on BitTorrent sites for the past year or so. Many major sites have been shut down in that time, leading to a huge fragmentation of the "market" (for lack of a better word). It definitely isn't a safe or anonymous way to break the law, but in general they only go after the sites themselves, not the users. This article may be the first indication that they're changing that approach.

As i said above....they caught my IP downloading from a bittorrent site. last time I have tried that.

I use BT to download tv shows that I miss while I'm at night school. I don't have a HD dvr so the widescreen rips are nice to have available. Also, I have got hooked on several shows I would have not otherwise watched had I not dl'd the first few episodes. Its nice to sit down and get caught up with the last few eps in order to watch the new one the coming week. I really don't see how they lose on this one, the shows get more exposure this way. Of course they might not like it since everyone and their mother sells dvds of the season now, but they just stole that idea from the orginal rippers that were ripping simpsons episodes waaaaaaay back when.

ALright, well I am done with this topic. BT was invented by a linux programmer to share linux files along with other legal content. It is not intended for MP3s, Movies or any other copyrighted materials. It is apparent that no one knows any trackers and I'll just read charpers FAQ link (quite helpful.

On another note I hope that dude they caught in Japan fries ... just another example of someone bending the open source model for financial gain. He should at the very least be kicked in the nuts. Love of money is the root of all evil.

If anyone has any GOOD, HIGHLY AVAILABLE TRACKERS, please PM me.

BFG, Silver Surfer, Neutron Close the damn thread, it is a waste of space.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
As i said above....they caught my IP downloading from a bittorrent site. last time I have tried that.
Charter didn't do it, the MPAA or RIAA got your IP and sent it to Charter, and they shut down or suspended your account. They do that on occasion, but by "go after" I really only meant legal action, not warnings.

As for the original intentions of the program author, I can't read his mind, but no matter what his intentions were he came up with a great idea and a great program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harriet Miers Withdraws...

Free XM Skyfi 2 and $99 Myfis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)