Black Screen and Sound Issues VIP222

teknoprep

Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
sdgsdg
Hey guys...new to the forums...having a problem with my VIP222 receiver.

I've had it about a year (it's been replaced twice before). Several times a week, I get one of the following problems:

1) Black screen on every channel, with working information banner and working guide.

2) Full video, but no audio. (This happens more often) Sometimes its every channel, sometimes its only some random channels. Also, I know its not my sound system, because when I go to the Dish Pointing screen, I can hear the signal beeps.

3) Full video, but distorted audio. Sometimes its every channel, sometimes its only some random channels. People sound like chipmunks and there is a lot of extra noise. The Dish Pointing screen beep is also distorted.

The only way to resolve these issues is to reset the receiver, which is quite annoying when your in the middle of a show. I wouldn't mind it if it was rare, but it happens several times a week.

I've checked my software, and I'm up-to-date with revision 373. I've got it plugged into a Panasonic plasma with an HDMI cable, a Samsung surround sound system with an optical cable, and I'm controlling it with a Harmony remote.

I've even tried doing a full restore on the receiver, which is quite annoying since I have several different favorites lists, but the problem still comes back.

I would rather not try an get another receiver from Dish, since I'm on my third one, and they always try to charge me for new ones. My other ones would go fully black, different from this. I have it plugged into a good APC UPS system, so the power shouldn't be affecting it.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just happened again, right after my post (distorted sound). I noticed on TV2 that the audio worked perfectly fine. Also, I went inside the Dobly Digital menu and tried to adjust those settings, cycled through Dobly Digital/PCM, and Line in/LF, but the only thing that fixed the problem was a reset.

Last edited:
signal, ....definitely not the rcvr. get a tech not a rcvr

thanks for the reply...

if its the signal then why would TV2 work fine? I would understand that the black screen/no audio being a signal issue, but why would that cause the audio to be distorted while tv2 works?

also, the "acquiring satellite signal" never pops up (except in bad weather, which is expected). The guide works, but none of the channels appear.

Just so you guys know, I just ran a signal test and I'm getting 50-70 on all satellites on my SuperDish.

id check your wires all wires going from reciver to tv, can you use rca jacks for hook up, try hooking it up from tv to reciver a defrent way for now, see if proplem still ocurrs.. one more sugestion is it maybe worth it for you to pay dish the 5.99 fee i think it cost for home protection.. Even just for short time, if you have this they will replace equiment free .. im guessing but check your hook up 2 tv to reciver.. The superdish is obsolet also now. you could still use it, but better to upgrade to dish 500 dpp. If you have a superdish for satalite 105, 105 is no longer used.. you could disconect the wire for 105 and run wires straight to 110, 119, you propaly have a 34 switch you would also would have no more use for this way... Also my opion is 50-70 strenghth is not that great some may disagree

The superdish is obsolet also now. you could still use it, but better to upgrade to dish 500 dpp. If you have a superdish for satalite 105, 105 is no longer used.. you could disconect the wire for 105 and run wires straight to 110, 119, you propaly have a 34 switch you would also would have no more use for this way... Also my opion is 50-70 strenghth is not that great some may disagree

Good news...I called Dish's advanced technical support, and they believe it is a bad receiver. I've been doing some searching on the forums, and several other people have had the exact same problem, so I believe it is an issue with some revisions of this model. The other posts recommended getting a VIP222K (which is apparently a lot less buggy), but the tech said the system would only let him swap it out with the same model VIP222 - but it was free. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

As for the SuperDish, I believe I mistyped. My Signal screen says SuperDish, but the dish says "Dish Network Plus" and I have "Dish PRO" LNBs. I also believe the signal strength is low - anytime it storms it looses the satellite, but I had it professionally installed and that was the best they could do. When I had the old 110/119 dish I got signals over 100, but this works pretty good 99% of the time.

Anyone know about any system-wide issues with the VIP222, or why they switched to the VIP222K?

Good news...I called Dish's advanced technical support, and they believe it is a bad receiver. I've been doing some searching on the forums, and several other people have had the exact same problem, so I believe it is an issue with some revisions of this model. The other posts recommended getting a VIP222K (which is apparently a lot less buggy), but the tech said the system would only let him swap it out with the same model VIP222 - but it was free. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

As for the SuperDish, I believe I mistyped. My Signal screen says SuperDish, but the dish says "Dish Network Plus" and I have "Dish PRO" LNBs. I also believe the signal strength is low - anytime it storms it looses the satellite, but I had it professionally installed and that was the best they could do. When I had the old 110/119 dish I got signals over 100, but this works pretty good 99% of the time.

Anyone know about any system-wide issues with the VIP222, or why they switched to the VIP222K?
well it sounds like you have the dish 500 dpp which is newer type which is good.. I could be wrong but , i think its bad wire, or wires loose coming from your reciver to tv.. The other thing is if the signal strentgh or bad/ week lnb is to low this could be it also, if a tree grew or branch in way of dish site can be proplem.. Do u own or rent equipment ? sence you are at it ,Id also see if you could upgrade reciver to a duel tunner 622 or 722.. you would have a dvr and a reciver for hd and for 2 tvs its only sugestion good luck

You can point out to them ,dish that this is 3rd time swaping this reciver your not happy and would like better model... again my opion is its your wires or signal strength

You can point out to them ,dish that this is 3rd time swaping this reciver your not happy and would like better model... again my opion is its your wires or signal strength

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried to push for the VIP222K since I read so many problems about the buggy VIP222, but the tech talked with a supervisor and said they couldn't do it. I also didn't want to push my luck, since they're replacing it for free. I used the Dish-It-Up program last year, so I believe I'm renting the equipment.

Only reason I don't think its bad cables to the TV is because I replaced the HDMI and optical cables...my DVD player also never has this problem, and when the sound drops from the channels, it still works on the signal screen beep.

Very weird...but I'm hoping its a bad receiver, and not the wiring to the satellite. The new VIP222 arrives tomorrow, so I'll keep you guys updated.

So...here's an interesting update:

I got my new VIP222 from Dish today. I installed it, and everything looked good. While I was adjusting the wires, I noticed the signal kept dropping, and the "acquiring satellite signal" screen kept appearing. All the connections were secure, but I finally narrowed it down to the DPP44 power inserter. When I moved this box, the signal would be lost.

The box was incredibly fragile, a couple of mm movement would drop the signal. Note that this wasn't the same behavior as I noted in my original post, it wasn't a black screen or funky audio - the signal was actually lost. So, I figured I would remove the DPP44 box completely and see what would happen. Low and behold, it still works. I thought I might get a weaker signal or it simply wouldn't work, but it still works just fine, and I don't have to worry about it slightly moving and loosing the signal. I still have the DPP44 box outside, but I'm surprised it worked without the power inserter.

Do you guys think I should leave this off? I'm hoping this, along with the new receiver and optical/HDMI cables, will fix my problem.

So...here's an interesting update:

I got my new VIP222 from Dish today. I installed it, and everything looked good. While I was adjusting the wires, I noticed the signal kept dropping, and the "acquiring satellite signal" screen kept appearing. All the connections were secure, but I finally narrowed it down to the DPP44 power inserter. When I moved this box, the signal would be lost.

The box was incredibly fragile, a couple of mm movement would drop the signal. Note that this wasn't the same behavior as I noted in my original post, it wasn't a black screen or funky audio - the signal was actually lost. So, I figured I would remove the DPP44 box completely and see what would happen. Low and behold, it still works. I thought I might get a weaker signal or it simply wouldn't work, but it still works just fine, and I don't have to worry about it slightly moving and loosing the signal. I still have the DPP44 box outside, but I'm surprised it worked without the power inserter.

Do you guys think I should leave this off? I'm hoping this, along with the new receiver and optical/HDMI cables, will fix my problem.
yes it will i run mine with no inserter, infact mine run better with out it. My brother runs his also this way..Ive had always had trouble with them. Infact i put up a 2nd dpp 500 to try get rid of the 44 amyways glad you fixed it.. Id leave it off i know alot peeps will disagree say wont run with out it, but mine is running like 2 yrs now with none , its up 2 you

well...some bad news...haven't even had the receiver 24 hours, and just turned it on - black screen w/ information banner and guide. had to reset the receiver to get it to work.

before restarting, I went to the signal information screen and it showed a green bar. the bad wiring suggestion confuses me, since i think it would popup "acquiring satellite signal" and wouldn't show anything on the signal information screen (like when theres a storm).

I had the same problem with a 622, got no help from E*, so finally got a refurb because HDMI was bad. No problem since, and that has been at least a year ago.
Dan

I had the same problem with a 622, got no help from E*, so finally got a refurb because HDMI was bad. No problem since, and that has been at least a year ago.
Dan

so yours would go to a black screen for all the channels but still have a working guide and information banner?

so yours would go to a black screen for all the channels but still have a working guide and information banner?
I had a similar probplem I had old wiring from dish to reveiver they sent a tech out changed all wiring put new lnb on dish and a new 222k receiver, basically a new install all is well know.
by the way all was done at no cost to me. 14 year customer may have something to do about getting that kind service

Just thought of something else. On your coax going into and out of all connections unscrew and check the inside of the connectors and make sure that there is no space between the white ground section of the wire and the connector i had 1 bad connector that gave me some trouble. Hope this post helps you

I had black screen with banner, I don't recall if I tried for the guide.I also replaced the cable run from DP34 as I didn't have this problem until I moved the 622 to bedroom when I got my 722.
Dan

equinoxman:

i called back and talked with an advanced tech, who talked to another advanced tech. after running super diagnostics, they thought it was an authorization issue. so, they are going to send me out a smartcard. my current 222 has an internal card, so they think this will fix the problem. i'm going to try it, but i still think its a wiring issue. i've been a customer for over 10 years, so hopefully they won't charge to send a tech out. i'll be sure to check all the connectors - thanks.

Dirtydan:

the replacement 222 they sent me had even more problems than my original - it would freeze every couple of hours! i've been reading the forums and i can't believe how buggy this model is. i tried to get them to replace it with a 222k, but they still want to go through their steps first. hopefully if this doesn't work, i'll get a 222k, along with a tech to fix the outside wiring (all the wiring is pretty new, only a year old).

----

thanks for the advice - i'll keep you guys updated!

you shoulld try another HDMI

i did. just a note - TV2 also goes black screen w/ info banner too. so it shouldn't be the hdmi to TV1.

just happened again - i decided to check the signal information screen - still see's the satellite and gets a good signal. however, i tried to run a check switch, and it stopped at 1 of 4. i had to reset the receiver, and it started working again. very strange.

When I had my problem it would happen on any type hookup, even tried composite for awhile.
Dan

Edit, At the time of my problem, I didn't have a card in the 622.

I just got the purple Smartcard in the mail from Dish. Installed and activated it.

So far so good, I'll let you guys know if that fixed the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts