Blade Runner--Which flavor should I get, blu or red?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
Alright, here goes. :eek:

I'm dual-format capable and wondering which format release of the new 5-Disc "Blade Runner: Collectors Super-Duper Edition" I should buy.

I was thinking Bluray if the quality and features are the same, if only because my players are a PS3 and an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on and I'd have HDMI out on the PS3 side of things. Otherwise, I really don't care.

I've read a few reviews and they don't seem to point out any significant differences between the two releases, Bluray or HD-DVD, so does it matter?

Whatayathink?

Alright, here goes. :eek:

I'm dual-format capable and wondering which format release of the new 5-Disc "Blade Runner: Collectors Super-Duper Edition" I should buy.

I was thinking Bluray if the quality and features are the same, if only because my players are a PS3 and an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on and I'd have HDMI out on the PS3 side of things. Otherwise, I really don't care.

I've read a few reviews and they don't seem to point out any significant differences between the two releases, Bluray or HD-DVD, so does it matter?

Whatayathink?

I'd go with Blue if it were me... :)

And here, let me save you the trouble of reading the rest of this thread:
Vurbano: Red!
JoeSP: Blue!
Diogen: Red!
Elwaylite: Blue!
Teamerickson: Red!
IceWolf: Blue!
Allargon: Red!
Chicagofilms: Blue!

My apologies to the esteemed folks I surely left out of the list - it wasn't meant as a slight... ;)

I'm surprised there's not a review up yet from one of the HD sites.

If everything is the same, I'll proabably go with what's cheapest.

ONOUs, I guess you can't read minds. :D

Depends on your display. If HDMI offers an improvment in PQ on your set then get BD.
If it's a wash get the cheaper one.

I'm surprised there's not a review up yet from one of the HD sites.

If everything is the same, I'll proabably go with what's cheapest.

ONOUs, I guess you can't read minds. :D

There is, the Digital Bits reviewed the Blu-ray version (which a few retailers broke street on a week early.)

I tend to buy BD over HD-DVD. It still looks like HD-DVD has a lot more work than BD to win at this point (although they did get Paramount this year). If HD-DVD got warner then maybe I would change my mind, but for now I just buy Uni/Para HD-DVD and the rest BD. It is working out 3-4:1 in favor of BD since BD studios seem to have more hits (well and Warner in BD).

I like the fact that I can load a BD in a few seconds vs the minute long process on the A1.

I like the fact that I can load a BD in a few seconds vs the minute long process on the A1.

Only a minute? They must have screwed something up with the A2, then, because it takes a lot longer than that (hit the button, go to the bathroom, walk the dog, check email, then come back and watch your movie).... that's the power-up time, though... in fairness, it doesn't take that long to play the movie once it's turned on.

My apologies to the esteemed folks I surely left out of the list - it wasn't meant as a slight... ;)

I'm not as vocal as most of you, and I don't feel slighted, but my vote is for Blu, so Sony will bleed some more:D

Have both players. Purchase Blue unless exclusive to Red.

Couldn't find Blue Blade Runner. Purchased Red.

Well, it looks like Red might be the way to go on this one. With warner screwing up, I wonder if either side will pay them to STAY neutral or go to the enemies side? :)
'Blade Runner' Blu-ray Suffers Manufacturing Glitch | High-Def Digest

Lucky for me when I do actually find a store that has it in stock and hopefully on a BOGO deal or something, I'll just be buying the movie, I don't care about all the extra stuff in the box sets

Well, I do feel slighted, but I'll get over it. :river

I only buy in Blu what doesn't play on my HD DVD player . . . . well, except I do like cheaper - so I used to buy Warner on Blu when they tried to make me pay $5 more for a sd DVD on one side that I didn't want. But then Warner started pricing them the same and, with the slick, fun web features on HD DVD, I've gone back to buying all Warner in Red. It's also fun to PO the Blu zealots.

At any rate, my Red Blade Runner actually showed at my door Monday before release day direct from WHV online store. :eek:
I was so shocked I asked the UPS guy to pinch me to make sure I wasn't dreaming. But, I think he got the wrong idea as he left pretty quick. :p

Well, whatever version I buy, I might get it at a brick-and-mortar w/ Xmas gift cards I expect to recieve, in light of the manufacturing errors (duplicate Disc 1s) and scratched discs apparently common in other sets I'm likely purchase as well (BSG Season 1 on HD-DVD).

What's up w/ all these manufacturing problems--you'd think DVD hadn't existed to get the packaging issues sorted out? Inexcusable...but explicable, seems they're cutting corners in either the packaging itself (BSG) and/or proper QC channels/staffing.