Bleedover...Ku to C-band???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bidaw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
Ok...I have just replaced my 7.5ft Sami with a 12ft Channelmaster Mesh. Got it planted and tracking the arc via Ku great. I am using a Chap Bullseye II orthomode feedhorn and Norsat Ku, CalAmp C LNBs. Heavy Duty dual coax cable to a modded DirectTV 4x8 switch for 18v power to the LNB's.

My problem. I get horizonal freqs scanning in great in Ku...but I get the same freqs scanning in vertical. (I did change skew to compensate / same deal). Channels come in for Ku viewing...horizonal only or vertical only depending on how I skew. Here is another weird thing...when I scan for C-band on the non-22khz side of the switch, I have c-band freqs (not recognizable for the sat that I am on - so I automatically thought wildfeed)...but viewable channel is the Ku channel.

If I run direct lines from the lnb to the receiver, I'm golden. How is my switch causing me such problems? Any ideas? This is frustrating me to no end. I have burnt 2 weekends on this.

I have some switches out at the dishes far from the house. Sometimes the switches don't respond instantly or there is a noticeable lag especially if I have disconnected and reconnected something. Almost like the receiver and switch got out of sync. Cycling through the sats brings it back during those events.

Seems like some receivers are finicky with switches too. My Diamond 9000HD seems to work best with some Pansat branded switches fine but some others require rebooting at times to get control back. My Pansat receivers work with anything.

Bad switch maybe???
That was my immediate thought.
Do you have a way to test the switch, or substitute another?

How far away is the switch from the receiver?
Check voltages out at the switch maybe?

What receiver are you using to command the switch?
edit:
Since you have several, try a different receiver (?)

I ordered a couple of more switches to mod substitute. Should be in by Friday. The run is maybe at best 40-45ft. I haven't checked the voltages, but I couldn't imagine flipping over to blow the 22khz of the Ku side to get that signal while trying to get the C-band side. Yep tried the different receivers too...Pansat 2500 (my trusty setup recvr), and Coolsat 5000. Only tried these two because of blindscan ability. In reading the comments, I am leaning toward switch. I picked up a couple of power inserters from ACRadio, but don't have 4x4's to throw in the mix. It was cost effective and design wise better for me to work with the 4x8 mod...but if I can't get it to work...sheesh!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)