Linkbox Blind scan shows same channels on multiple birds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Motorized or a fixed C-band dish?
LNBF brand and model? When installing the LNBF, is the "0" skew mark aligned with the vertical or the horizontal axis of the dish?

Lets focus on one STB to focus on the scan results. Connect the Linkbox LNB IN port coax directly to the C-band LNBF without any thing else inline.
  • Perform a Factory reset on the Linkbox.
  • After the STB restarts, delete all transponders from Satellite 91w C-band.
  • In the installation menu select 91w C-band
  • Set the LNB Type (LO) to 5150
  • Set the LNB Power to Auto 13/18
  • Perform a Blind Scan for ALL channels (not only FTA)
  • Report the transponder frequencies and polarities that are logged
  • Report the TV Channel names logged and if the channels are showing programming

ok, I only get those channels when I do a blind scan for FTA, But i get them no matter what sat i scan

and I found the 5150 setting on the linkbox. odd that it is under the antenna setting menu

Titanium, Fixed cband with copper running from LNB to STB with no breaks or splitters. Cable run is about 40 feet. LNBF is a cheapo Ebay dual polarity C band one. The feed horn is ALOT smaller than the mounting ring that comes with it, and there is only 1 set screw to hold it, so I wrapped it in tape until it was a better fit, then covered the tape in a metal banding strap.
I will try to get more info on the LNB

Just be aware that on some LNBFs, the "0" skew scale mark is aligned with Horizontal probe and on others the "0" skew mark is aligned with the vertical polarity probe. Was the LNBF provided with install or alignment instructions?

What is the skew scale "0" angle rotation set to for the satellite that you are currently aimed at? What is your install location's zip code?

In addition to the steps and testing I suggested in post #21, after the factory reset step also delete all TV and Radio Channels (in case the seller pre-populated the channel list).

did a scan again for every channel i could get from SES 1, with the specific TP parameters set. Wrote down the list of channels I got and checked on lyngsat. The channels are coming from Galaxy 17 91 W. I am trying to figure out why my STB and my sat finder both indicated that they were on the right bird, but gave me different channels. Do satellites not broadcast a unique identifier? would make sense as i manually entered TP information that is valid for multiple sat.
My LNBF is messed up. Ordered a new one

FTA satellites do not broadcast an identifier. The STB has no way of knowing what sat it is on. It depends on you to be pointed at the right sat. The meter is the same, no identifier, you just verify the correct transponders. I have an AI Turbo S2 meter that the company updates over the internet and it can verify you are pointed at the sat you think you are. But those are premium tools you pay a premium price for.

You have to name the satellite. Unless it is already an option in the sat. list in your STB. ie. the stations you now have change the sat .name to 91W. Most of the birds I use are not even in the STB list because most of these things are made for Europe.

What size is your dish and where are you?

Last edited:
I think I see your problem.

First, your dish is pointed at 91W. This is for sure.

When you go into your receiver and choose 101W, that will -- on a properly installed motorized system -- send the dish to 101W. In your case the dish isn't moving from 91W at all. But the receiver doesn't know that. It just knows that it sent the command and assumes it was followed.

When you scan and it finds channels, it assumes they are on 101W because it told the dish to move there, so they get logged as 101W but they are actually from 91W. That's why you get the same channels on every satellite -- in fact, you're rescanning the same satellite again and again.

There is no easy way for a receiver to know what satellite it's pointed at and satellite's don't broadcast their IDs (well, they do, but that is well beyond the capability of consumer satellite receivers).

What you need to do is set your receiver to 101W, program in a transponder like 3925 V 10000 (MeTV) and move the dish (physically with wrenches and such) until you get the Me TV signal. Once you've done that, you can scan for Newsy and peak the dish to get the best picture.

Your ku-band dishes at work won't help so forget those.

Reactions: Horsepower
ok guys, I put the new LNBF up, rotated the dish, and locked in on EPIX with 78% quality on my Satlink. I went inside and got the epix channels, me tv, heroes, Decades, and a few others to pop up on the tuner. No newsy... I also noticed that I only got 1 Horizontal Transponder to show up. The rest are V. The tuner is seeing the transponders correctly, it gets the polarity correct from a blind scan.
So I went back up and rotated the LNB 180 degrees to see if it would make any difference. Nope..
I also noticed that I get 100% quality from the epix transponder, but when it is colder out I get no video.

I live in cedar rapids, Iowa. It has been getting down to -30 degrees at times, so temperature may be playing a role in this.
I am using $30 LNBF's i have found on E-Bay. Currently on a dual polarity dual output one.
My dish is about 7 feet tall.
I have no obstructions to the sky.
I have about a 50' run of RG-6 quad shield running directly into the tuner.
I have a Linbox 9000 on 1 line, and the Manhattan on the other. The manhattan is seeing more than the Linkbox, and scans alot faster.

ok guys, I put the new LNBF up, rotated the dish, and locked in on EPIX with 78% quality on my Satlink. I went inside and got the epix channels, me tv, heroes, Decades, and a few others to pop up on the tuner. No newsy... I also noticed that I only got 1 Horizontal Transponder to show up. The rest are V. The tuner is seeing the transponders correctly, it gets the polarity correct from a blind scan.
So I went back up and rotated the LNB 180 degrees to see if it would make any difference. Nope..
I also noticed that I get 100% quality from the epix transponder, but when it is colder out I get no video.

I live in cedar rapids, Iowa. It has been getting down to -30 degrees at times, so temperature may be playing a role in this.
I am using $30 LNBF's i have found on E-Bay. Currently on a dual polarity dual output one.
My dish is about 7 feet tall.
I have no obstructions to the sky.
I have about a 50' run of RG-6 quad shield running directly into the tuner.
I have a Linbox 9000 on 1 line, and the Manhattan on the other. The manhattan is seeing more than the Linkbox, and scans alot faster.
Can you post a pictures of you LNBf as mounted on your dish, settings on your receiver that will help tremendously in solving this puzzle.

I can do that monday when I go back up. It is suppose to get above freezing then.

s-l64.jpg

This is the LNB I am using. My dish is stationary, no motor. I have it mounted just like in the picture, heat sink up and rotated so 0 degree is off center a few degrees

There are alot of settings on my box. is there anything in particular you want to see? I can screen shot any of the settings pages. I have verified that I am on the right bird, and have done the delete TP and blindscan from it 2 times. LNB 5150, no nit, lnb power on, and everything else off.

It is 10 degrees warmer today (-18 with windchill) and I now have EPIX back with good signal. The TP's i am getting are all in the 3900 freq range and vertical.

You may only need to optimize the feedhorn position and or the dish amiming.

From Cedar City, Iowa, 101w is west of your true south and the LNBF skew needs to be rotated -10 degrees. Standing in front of the dish, the LNBF would be rotated so the "0" scale mark will be counter clockwise approximately 10 degrees from 12 o'clock / 6 o'clock vertical.

What is the FD ratio and the Focal Length measurement calculated for your reflector for feedhorn mounting?

String test the reflector to verify that it is not warped?

Did you confirm that the feedhorn is exactly centered on the reflector? Measure from the center of the feedhorn to the rim at at least 3 or 4 places around the dish edge. These measurements need to be almost exact.

Is the scalar lined up with the calculated FD ratio scale stamped on the side of the feedhorn?

With the correct FD setting, it the Focal Length measurement from the center of the reflector to 1/4" inside the feedhorn approximately the correct calculated length?

Is the receiver menu polarity selection set to Automatic 13/18Vdc or is it set to a fixed 13 or 18Vdc selection? Does the voltage measured on the coax at the LNBF read 18Vdc on a horizontal transponder and 13Vdc on a vertical transponder when powered in the house from the receiver?

Reactions: KE4EST and Trust
I started out with making sure my dish was not warped, and never got past that point. I used 6 strings, 1 from each wedge, and only 2 of them touched. Tomorrow i will go up with a friend and round it back out. Then we will verify the feed horn position. Right now it is sitting at the 38 hash mark on the side of the horn, and about 8 degrees askew. This gets me epix, gvtv, heroes, decades, daystar etc.... with 98 strength and high 60's for quality, measured at the dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts