Blockbuster Launches Ads Touting 28-Day Head Start

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
"certain new releases" is the key

Click Me

Blockbuster Inc., the video rental chain that is in the midst of restructuring under bankruptcy protection, on Monday launched a national ad campaign that promotes its 28-day head start over competitors Netflix Inc. and Coinstar Inc.'s Redbox when it comes to renting certain new releases.

The campaign is dubbed "Less Waiting. More Watching." It debuted on NBC's "Today" show and will also air on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars: Finale."

The advantage doesn't apply to all movies or in all formats.

In the last two months, Universal Studios and News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox announced that they would impose a 28-day delay on movies released to Blockbuster Express kiosks run by NCR Corp., with the exception of a few test cases in which they would charge more than $1 a night. Warner Bros. imposes a similar delay on all kiosk operators.

28 days does not bother me. I rather have it "free" than pay to have it 28 days earlier. If it was not good enough to see in the theater, what is the rush to see it when it is released to video. I probably see 50-75 movies a year in the theater. The rest I do not really care if I wait 28 days longer to see (or even longer if going to wait until HBO).

Not me either. With the price of discs now, and good price monitoring programs, Im kinda buying most movies. We used to live at the Theater, and never go now, so The $15 for even a soso flick on blu does not phase me.

The $15 for even a soso flick on blu does not phase me.

I keep hearing the economy is so bad but then I constantly read comments like this everywhere. I think the truth is the only people who are struggling in this economy are newscasters. Personally, I could afford to buy these movies but choose not to. I prefer to get them the lowest cost at highest quality possible. In order of priority:

1. Blockbuster Blu Ray movie pass $33 per month for unlimited movies and games 2 out at a time.
2. Netflix Blu Ray and streaming account $12.99 one out at a time
3. If I see I'll be watching a movie more than 5 times, I'll probably buy it in Blu Ray after it goes on sale. Have not spent more than $18 for a single movie.
4. I'll buy the series and combo packages like Star Trek and LOTR when they go on sale.

I typically watch my movies, up to 3 per day in the above priority. The cost still is important but the 28 day wait is not. I agree, If it isn't important enough for me to see in the theater, then I'll see it when it rents in my movie pass packages. Usually, the few that BlockBuster doesn't get, Netflix does. I'm happy with that.

The last 2 movies I saw this year in the theater were 3D which I can't do at home. Theater viewing draw is 3D or I would never go. But when I do go it is at the lowest cost time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts