Blockbuster Movie Exchange Desaster

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
So on Wednesday I got "The Bad Teacher" mailed from my queue. On Thursday my wife took it to the store and exchanged it for "The Presence". Usually I get a pretty fast email about whatever got exchanged. Not this time! I didn't get an email at all and so I checked my queue online and it still showed "The Bad Teacher" as "at home"!:eek:
But at the time I had "The Presence" at home. So today I took this one back to the store and asked what happened. The dude at the store acted like he has no idea how it works. No manager present either. So instead of helping me, he hands me a Blockbuster phone number to call. How about some customer service, since there wasn't anything else going on in the store. It isn't my fault that something got screwed up! I just did what I was supposed to do and returned rented movies!
An hour earlier, I had a chat with Dish about store exchanges who confirmed that anything in my queue can be either mailed OR picked up in the store, WITHOUT having to have another show mailed first after an store exchange and following return to the store.
The dude in there denied that this is true, and insisted to have the return envelope at the time of store exchange. He looked at me like he's seen a ghost, and didn't even take me serious with what the Dish rep told me earlier. What kind of kindergarten is this?
Anyway, at this point I started getting pretty annoyed, as was he. On a side note: I have been renting shows in that store for 10 years, so I wasn't anybody new there.
So I told him that it still shows that I have "The Bad Teacher" "at home", although I had "The Presence" in my hand to return. He insisted that it wasn't their fault. I even showed him my account on my BlackBerry. He didn't seem to care.
However I made the mistake and returned "The Presence" as well, hoping that stuff would fall into place on it's own doing that.
Very annoyed about the lack of help and feeling being patronized, I left the store. 5 minutes later, my BlackBerry goes off with a new email: It says that I returned "A" show, not WHICH one as usual, to the store as an exchange!
So I took my Berry and logged into Blockbuster to check on my queue. Well SOB!!!: My whole queue was emptied and it showed that "The Presence" was shipped to me on the 22nd (Today) with estimated arrival N/A and at the same time shows as "at home from store"!!! I just took this show BACK to the store!!:eek::eek::eek::mad:
So I turn the car around and walk back into the store to spread the good news. Now the manager is there as well and she is just as annoyed as her assistant. And she even knows me since years!
She even asked why I go through all this trouble as she says, and I quote" You don't need to get any discs, you can stream all the new releases for FREE on your Dish Receiver!!! What????:eek:
Anyways, she says she's gonna pull up the history, and still seemingly annoyed goes through it and says that all the exchanges took place correctly! BULL!!!!:mad:
And then she shrugs her shoulders and walks off!!:mad::mad:
Then her dude asks me if I called that number as he told me to! WTH?:eek:
So at this time I had the right to remain silent, but didn't have the opportunity and I said: That's it. I'm not messing with this anymore! And she turns around and asks me what I mean with that, and that I still could rent movies online! NO I CAN"T, because it says now that I have a show at home, that I just returned 10 minutes ago!
So I said, NO, I meant forget about this whole thing, I'm through with this mess! I don't have the time to spend half a Saturday with getting mad about this unprofessional crap!
And so I left the store....

BTW, there is an option online where you can report a problem with a disc, and it says there: If you returned the disc to the store, but it has not cleared your Queue, please call the store manager!:rant::rant:

Now WHAT???

Last edited:
So I just spend about an hour on chat with Dish, nobody can resolve this. So I guess I just forget about it and leave it the way it is. Unbelievable!
I guess I just take BBM off my account and be done with it.

contact 1 of the dirt team members here and they will fix it for you :) maryb@Dish Network RaymondG@Dish Network ZachS@DISH Network
MattG@ DISH NETWORK those are a few on here and they do a great job :)

Last edited:
I believe the person that told you you can pick up a dvd from your queue at a store needs to read the faq on the Dish site. Or Dish needs to rewrite the FAQ. I'd go with the person is confused.

How do I rent with my subscription?

You can rent as many discs as you like, depending on your membership plan. Blockbuster Movie Pass offers plans with 1, 2, or 3 rentals at a time. Simply add rentals to your Queue and we'll mail them right to you.

Your plan also includes in-store exchanges, so you can exchange your by-mail rentals for free movie rentals or non-new release game rentals at participating Blockbuster stores. Note: Franchise terms may vary. See your local Blockbuster store for more details.

I am more amazed that you have Blockbuster stores near your house. The closest one to us, about 4 miles away, just closed about a month ago. Now the nearest ones are about 20 miles from my house

It also doesn't say you can. It clearly states "we will mail them" and then "you can exchange your by-mail".

Exactly! I have no idea why this is so confusing to people. You get to exchange your mailed disc for an in-store disc ONCE...unlimited to how many MAILED discs you can exchange at the store (once each). You most definitely cannot pick up queue movies from the store instead of having them mailed. :rolleyes:

I am more amazed that you have Blockbuster stores near your house. The closest one to us, about 4 miles away, just closed about a month ago. Now the nearest ones are about 20 miles from my house

My store just closed this past Thursday!!!!
:(

And I just add BBMP on Wednesday, and have 922 so not streaming yet also.
Let just hope that the disc by mail didn't take that much, cause I had BB free one month and some movis took more than a week from when I put them on the mail to when they arrive. Too bad.

Exactly! I have no idea why this is so confusing to people. You get to exchange your mailed disc for an in-store disc ONCE...unlimited to how many MAILED discs you can exchange at the store (once each).
Well, when one tosses the term "unlimited" into the sentence or advertisement, it certainly isn't difficult to get confused.

Look at the benefits of the program:
- Over 100,000 titles available
- Stream thousands of movies to your TV or PC
- Unlimited movies, TV shows and games by mail
- Unlimited in-store exchanges*
- Plus over 20 great entertainment channels

Oh... an asterisk with that in-store part. I hate asterisks... they seem to allow any sort of loose language. The list is open to enough misinterpretation.

- Over 100,000 titles available by mail
- One in-store exchange per mailed disc
- Over 20 great entertainment channels
- Stream thousands of movies from Epix/Retro/etc... to your TV or PC

I think that would have led to a lot less confusion.
You most definitely cannot pick up queue movies from the store instead of having them mailed. :rolleyes:
Well, you can if they have it available and you can then remove it manually from the Queue.

Last edited:
And that "Over 20 channels" can just be 21 channels, 3 of them SD and like 7 channels that has to do nothing with movies. :coffee

I don't know why they just don't switch some channels like Logo, Centric, WFN, Velocity, MAVTV and those, with Fox Movie, AMC, TMC, Reelz and IFC.
That is a Move Pass.

Well, when one tosses the term "unlimited" into the sentence or advertisement, it certainly isn't difficult to get confused.

Look at the benefits of the program:
- Over 100,000 titles available
- Stream thousands of movies to your TV or PC
- Unlimited in-store exchanges*
- Plus over 20 great entertainment channels

Oh... an asterisk with that in-store part. I hate asterisks... they seem to allow any sort of loose language. The list is open to enough misinterpretation.

- Over 100,000 titles available by mail
- One in-store exchange per mailed disc
- Over 20 great entertainment channels
- Stream thousands of movies from Epix/Retro/etc... to your TV or PC

I think that would have led to a lot less confusion.
Well, you can if they have it available and you can then remove it manually from the Queue.

I'm not saying the advertising couldn't have been clearer (I do like your wording better to be sure)...but this has been discussed on numerous threads here recently so anyone following this topic on the forum should know by now the definition of "unlimited". Additionally, as consumers, we are responsible for reading the "asterisks" and "fine print".

It's just like the mortgage company that is currently offering a "low fixed rate of only X% for the first five years"....umm, yeah, that is an adjustable rate mortgage, not a fixed. Wonder how many foreclosures will blame the advertising on that also? (Despite the "asterisk" in that case being tons of documents stating it is an adjustable rate that can change, all with their signature on it...but I digress...) :eek:

I just believe in personal accountability and research as a consumer. We all know that marketing departments in all industries take liberties with the facts. It is OUR responsibility to know what we are buying. Again, not saying they shouldn't be more clear but pretty much all advertising is that way anymore. Not defending the advertising in any way though. More just pointing out that we all as consumers ought to know to read the "asterisks". :p

And yes, you can pick up a movie from your queue in store anytime you want without a mailed disc to exchange...but you will pay for it...it won't be a free rental like if it was mailed or if you exchanged a mailed disc. (Just wanted to clarify that for those who may have took that last sentence in your post the wrong way.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts