Blockbuster to close all 300 remaining stores and distribution centers by end of December 2013 or ea

I only read up through page 4, but did anybody go through how much all these companies lost last year? Netflix shut down disc by mail because theyblost so much, Redbox is nice and all, but they raised prices because their net loss was about 3 times as much as Blockbuster.

When did netflix shut down disc by mail?

They certainly didn't. I resubscribed to Netflix DVDs by mail when Dish/BB@home cut me off. I do not do Netflix streaming, for several good reasons. That could go away and I wouldn't notice. ;)

Just got word today that tomorrow is the last day Blockbuster will allow me to rent on my movie pass. Must return all copies by Sunday. Store closed for inventory Monday and will reopen for a week to sell off inventory, including shelves. I wonder if I will get a refund as I just paid for month of December. Not even getting my full November month. Store clerk said Dish didn't tell them anything and all employees and managers read about it in the paper. I will miss them! It was a sweet deal for me while it lasted. I will do streaming now with Netflix and Vudu+ The quality is quite good and getting better.

At this time I don't plan on renting DVD's. I will continue to rent the 3D titles from 3D-Blurayrental.com

I wonder if they can charge you for the DVD even though you actually rented it for the month if they are requiring people to return them. I don't think they can just change the rules like that. I can see a lot of people choosing not to return the DVD's.

Went to our local blockbuster today to rent a video game for my son, game was not it. Looked like they were getting ready for the liquidation. Looks like the store closes today, reopen on Tuesday to start it up. Very quiet in there, hope for the best for the staff there

I wonder if they can charge you for the DVD even though you actually rented it for the month if they are requiring people to return them. I don't think they can just change the rules like that. I can see a lot of people choosing not to return the DVD's.

I picked up my last two rentals today and will return them tomorrow in the slot as the store will be closed. My accounts were closed on their computer as of Monday. So I won't be paying for a month the store is closed.

Hate to see it close. But I opened up a Red Box account today and this just might work out. I'll miss the chats with the employees but the Red Box is within walking distance, not 13 miles one way like BB. So I'll save on gas. $1.50 for BluRay is not a bad price.

I picked up my last two rentals today and will return them tomorrow in the slot as the store will be closed. My accounts were closed on their computer as of Monday. So I won't be paying for a month the store is closed.

Hate to see it close. But I opened up a Red Box account today and this just might work out. I'll miss the chats with the employees but the Red Box is within walking distance, not 13 miles one way like BB. So I'll save on gas. $1.50 for BluRay is not a bad price.

I agree as well on chats with the employees, it was nice to have some small talk about movies or even chat about Dish stuff since they had the Hopper on display

Got an email yesterday that the Blockbuster DVD by Mail was being discontinued. I liked that I could get Bluray versions of movies and TV shows. I have had the cheapest plans with both Netflix and Blockbuster for several years. Even though streaming is nice I still prefer having a disc to watch. Hopefully Netflix will continue to provide this service.

If they decide to discontinue it too, we will be out of luck. We won't have a large library to turn to. If it's not in the limited selection of Redbox or in the limited time frame of streaming, we'll have to look at buying the title instead of renting it.

Just because Family Video has found some success in the marketplace, does not mean that B&M rental is not dying. It just means they have found themselves a niche in the marketplace. I mean, considering where the B&M rental business was 15-20 years ago in comparison to now, it's in shambles. Hollywood Video and Blockbuster are both dead, and even Family Video, the so called success story in all of this, is still only available in select states.

You're right in calling b&m video rental stores a niche. But it was a niche that BBV practically owned. And yes, Family Video is still not a national chain, and may never be. But that might be because they're operating in a much smarter fashion than BBV. Whenever I go into one, it reminds me of how BBV used to be. The stores always have business of some sort going on and don't look like the ghost towns BBV stores had been for the last few years. Even with all of the challenges involving operating a b&m rental chain, people are making money on it. Dish never improved the way the chain was run. BB management decided that they wanted to reserve more floor space to sell used discs and movie posters than actually promote rentals. I always felt that that was a horrible decision that didn't do anyone any good.

I had to run some errands yesterday and kept passing the BB a few times that is now closed, until I think tomorrow, employees were there it looked like all day, felt bad for them. Having to get ready for there store and job to end.

I have been reading about some of the BB stores that will continue to stay open under franchise agreements, looks like they are located in Texas, Alaska and I think California

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes there are about 50 stores scattered throughout Alaska and Texas that will remain Blockbuster and stay open. There are franchised stores. I heard the guy who runs them on NPR on the radio last week talking about how he keeps making a profit in dealing with in store dvd/blu-ray rentals. He also said they never got their dvds from the parent company of Blockbuster and his company won't be affected when the other distribution centers shut down.

Yes there are about 50 stores scattered throughout Alaska and Texas that will remain Blockbuster and stay open. There are franchised stores. I heard the guy who runs them on NPR on the radio last week talking about how he keeps making a profit in dealing with in store dvd/blu-ray rentals. He also said they never got their dvds from the parent company of Blockbuster and his company won't be affected when the other distribution centers shut down.

Kind of interesting with the franchise concept I am assuming they pay Dish for the branding and such and will continue to do so

Signage at a local store. Sign makes me laugh, kinda like the "moving" sign during the last round of closures.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384217144962.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384217144962.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 157
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384217241855.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384217241855.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 178
Aside from the lack of selection on Netflix streaming, their movies look and sound as good as Blu Rays on my PS3. Maybe more dynamic range on the Blu Ray, but otherwise I'm very happy with Netflix overall. I'm watching it as much as the Dish now that baseball season is over.

I don't really watch that many movies. What I can record on my DVR with the basic Movies stations I do receive on the 250 package, plus Epix (through Blockbuster at Home but would add if that is dropped) and now that I'm back with Netflix two a month with Blu-Ray I'm fine. And, there are the occasional free preview periods. I'm one of those people who would never watch a movie on anything but a TV (60" Panny) and do no like the lack of flexibility of streaming (DVR functions are smoother), not to mention the interruptions sometimes when downloading.

I realize I'm in the minority. C'est la vie.

Dear BLockbuster....
Remember when you charged me 15$ for late fees on a defective disc and i swore you wouldnt get a penny from me. Well, I WIN!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)