Blu-ray Gets the Picture - In Picture

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Blu-ray Gets the Picture -- In Picture

Fox will release the first Blu-ray disc with the PIP feature.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 30, 2007) -- 20th Century Fox in January will release the first Blu-ray movie with picture-in-picture interactivity.

That's according to an article by Video Business.

The publication reported that Fox demonstrated the PIP feature for the sci-fi thriller Sunshine on Monday during a press briefing. (Sunshine is a UK-based movie starring a cast of unknowns.)

HD DVD, Blu-ray's high-def disc format rival, has featured PIP on some discs for a few months, including Warner's HD DVD edition of the war movie 300.

HD DVD supporters have said the PIP feature will engage movie buffs because it can offer related information while the person watches the film.

For instance, Video Business reports, Sunshine's filmmakers discuss the movie in the PIP window while it's running.

Most Blu-ray players currently do not have the capacity to display PIP, but Fox senior vice president Steve Feldstein told the publication that future models will. He added that Sony will upgrade the Play Station 3 with a PIP feature via a firmware download.

“There will be players in the market,” Feldstein said.

Disney is expected to offer PIP in several titles next year, including Finding Nemo.

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
...20th Century Fox in January will release the first Blu-ray movie with picture-in-picture interactivity.
By then BD+ (used exclusively by FOX) will be hacked and somebody will be fired, retire or "resign to pursue other interests" from its board, IMHO.
Therefore, discussing whether this will really happen is akin guessing whether it will snow on New Year day in New York...

Diogen.

roachxp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 13, 2005
Massachusetts

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Okay Mr moderator -- this information is for BluRay supporters. Both Diogen and Vurbano's comments and posts need to be removed. If they want to dish out negative stuff -- let them repost the information in the WAR ZONE and have at it! Their comments have nothing to do with the post on Picture in Picture coming to BluRay! This is how BD information keeps getting hijacked to the WAR ZONE! I am asking you to moderate the BD forum the same way that the HD-DVD forum has been moderated! I hope that this request is clear in intent.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Okay Mr moderator -- this information is for BluRay supporters. Both Diogen and Vurbano's comments and posts need to be removed. If they want to dish out negative stuff -- let them repost the information in the WAR ZONE and have at it! Their comments have nothing to do with the post on Picture in Picture coming to BluRay! This is how BD information keeps getting hijacked to the WAR ZONE! I am asking you to moderate the BD forum the same way that the HD-DVD forum has been moderated! I hope that this request is clear in intent.
Nothing negative in my comment. ANd my comment is totally about PIP on BD. :rolleyes:

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Vurbano, my appologies for mistaking your inquiry. They are talking about the PIP being a commentary by the filmmakers. There is not a need to do two copies if this is a true PIP and is interactive. Samsung has a new demo disc out that not only explains the PIP interactivity but also explains internet access during the movie. Looks like BD is finally stepping up!:)

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Question now is when the PS3 will be updated to support this... The article says it will be, it will be interesting to see how long it takes. Does Sony already have this ready to roll?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts