Blu-ray Rentals Likely $1.50 a Night at Redbox Kiosks

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
CENTURY CITY, Calif. — Redbox president Mitch Lowe said the kiosk company would likely bow Blu-ray Disc rentals at $1.50 a night, a premium over the chain’s traditional $1-a-night DVD rental.

Blu-rays will start appearing in Redbox kiosks within the next few months, he said.

Lowe made the announcement during a keynote speech at the Entertainment Supply Chain Academy Edge conference June 3.
Source & More: homemediamagazine.com

That's a damn good deal. It may be confusing having Blu and DVD's in the same machine though.

The Red-Boxs that already rent BD's are renting for $1.75 and you almost have to rent them online before you go and pick them up. They are always rented out :)

I missed that e-mail yesterday from the CEA(links) or would have posted it then then... ;) that's even better than Hastings if you return an older BD same day or next day...

Pfft. or the fact you can pay on your late fee's and still rent or just cry and they waive them. Who does not love hastings rentals.

That's a damn good deal. It may be confusing having Blu and DVD's in the same machine though.

No more confusing them having them in a store together. Besides, the consumer should be expected to have some knowledge of things. I really don't have much empathy for those that rent blu-ray and don't have a blu-ray player at home and claim they didn't blu-ray don't work on regular dvd players.

This is bad news for folks who like the ready-access to a large variety of titles from their local Blockbuster or other video stores. That option was "almost dead" already; this can only help push it closer to "totally dead".

And given how ubiquitous these kiosks are getting, I have to wonder how much this will adversely impact the online services, given that so many J6Ps rely on those services for recent films on BD. I don't think they could legitimately survive almost solely reliant on folks renting older "catalog" titles from them.

There is only one Red Box kiosk that I have seen locally, the dvd selection is not that great so Hastings should be safe, the only other rental place here "Movie Gallery" is going out of business...

Around here they seem to be everywhere you turn.

There is only one Red Box kiosk that I have seen locally, the dvd selection is not that great so Hastings should be safe, the only other rental place here "Movie Gallery" is going out of business...

You can go on the internet and figure out where they are and see what is in inventory. You can rent/reserve it on the web and the machine will hold it for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)