Blue Circle Spinning on HD DVR Receiver This Morning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
When I woke up, I noticed this, and initially thinking I forgot to shut it off last night, attempted to via the remote. Did nothing.

Turned on the TV to see if I was getting anything...nothing.

Tried holding in the power button for a while to see if it would go off...nothing happened.

I finally had to unplug the receiver, then it went through the whole reboot thing, and seems to be working fine now.

But is this just something that happens from time to time, like a PC getting locked up? Or is this signs that the receiver may be having issues? I just got it late October or early November of last year.

When I woke up, I noticed this, and initially thinking I forgot to shut it off last night, attempted to via the remote. Did nothing.

Tried holding in the power button for a while to see if it would go off...nothing happened.

I finally had to unplug the receiver, then it went through the whole reboot thing, and seems to be working fine now.

But is this just something that happens from time to time, like a PC getting locked up? Or is this signs that the receiver may be having issues? I just got it late October or early November of last year.

The spinning blue circle means it is rebooting. It may be in the process of downloading new software, or your electricity may have gone out.

The spinning blue circle means it is rebooting. It may be in the process of downloading new software, or your electricity may have gone out.

So it's normal that you really can't do anything (turn it off, watch TV, etc.) while this is happening?

May I have possibly messed something up by pulling the plug?

So it's normal that you really can't do anything (turn it off, watch TV, etc.) while this is happening?

May I have possibly messed something up by pulling the plug?

Yes, it is normal. If you pulled the plug, it will reboot. If it was downloading new software at the time, it should have started over on the download when you plugged it back in.

to reboot you need to hit the red button in the card door.

Problem is that I wasn't getting any feed to the TV to even look at to get to the menu.

All seems fine since I did this a couple days ago, but I'll remember the red button in case this happens again. The plug isn't the easiest thing to get to!

Thanks.

How long do these updates usually take?

I noticed my receiver doing this again around 5:30 this morning while I was getting ready for work. My wife called a little after 7:00 while getting our kid ready for school, said it was still doing it.

She did a reset.

Just wondering if there's something else going on here other than an update.

How long do these updates usually take?

I noticed my receiver doing this again around 5:30 this morning while I was getting ready for work. My wife called a little after 7:00 while getting our kid ready for school, said it was still doing it.

She did a reset.

Just wondering if there's something else going on here other than an update.

Something else is going on, updates usually take 10 minutes at most.

As a review, use the menus to reset, when available, if not possible, then use the Red Button.

Sounds like it froze in the reboot process, just push the red reset button in that instance. It probably rebooted as part of the new software download.

The only time for real concern is if it doesn't come back on after the reset button...

mine have done that a few times lately too. 2 R15's and 1 HR20, all 3 do it at the same time when it happenes. wonder if some update push is failing or soemthing? my older directv Tivo DVR has not done it yet, just the DTV units.

mine have done that a few times lately too. 2 R15's and 1 HR20, all 3 do it at the same time when it happenes. wonder if some update push is failing or soemthing? my older directv Tivo DVR has not done it yet, just the DTV units.

If they are all rebooting at the same time, you may have line voltage issues. Are your dvrs on a surge protector? They should be.

a surge protector will do zero good for a voltage problem. you need a ups for that. but to answer your quesiton no they are not. it is not voltage issues causing it though, i have a couple clocks that do not hold time if the lights even blink and they are rock solid. sometimes when it happens it is 3-4AM and if i do not manually reset them they will still be hung in boot at 8AM. i know when it does it, as both my daughter and I wake up when the TV goes black.

a surge protector will do zero good for a voltage problem. you need a ups for that. but to answer your quesiton no they are not. it is not voltage issues causing it though, i have a couple clocks that do not hold time if the lights even blink and they are rock solid. sometimes when it happens it is 3-4AM and if i do not manually reset them they will still be hung in boot at 8AM. i know when it does it, as both my daughter and I wake up when the TV goes black.

I would call D* and investigate then, of course the first thing they will want to do is Reboot ........ Let them see that it's now working properly and they should send out a replacement.

Correct, I meant to say UPS. I have heard of dvrs that were voltage sensitive enough to reboot on their own when there is a voltage drop.

I too have had this issue regarding the blue light spining. This has happened twice within the past month. I unplugged the power from my am-21 (using a hr-21 700 unit) then it rebooted and it was fine after that. This does not sound like a local issue, using a ups battery (APC) and had no power loss.....Can it be a s/w
issue or possibly a data stream/dvr issue?......rolou21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)