Blue-laser Diode Lawsuit

Since the lady patent holder has a history of settling, same will probably happen here.
Hard to imagine this whole gang fighting her with so much at stake...

If rumors about $0.5 Billion paid to Warner are true, what is another couple $100 Millions...:)
Sony's profitability will be just postponed for a quarter or two.

Diogen.

So much for prices coming down any time soon.

Probably little effect. Assuming they actually violate, or decide to settle as the easier course, it will Probably not be that large an increase in the price of the diode's.

Since the lady patent holder has a history of settling, same will probably happen here.

If rumors about $0.5 Billion paid to Warner are true, what is another couple $100 Millions...:)

Diogen.

Don't forget, Toshiba could get nailed too. Just when they want to forget HD-DVD.

Diogen.

Gee Diogen, even you don't kick around a 3 month old rumor that has no legs- do you? Secrets are always the first to go and when Toshiba paid Paramount and Dreamworks that secret didn't last for 3 days! Why drege up a dead rumor? Besides, it will not be only Sony who pays any fee if one has to be paid, it will be the entire BDA. An excerpt from the article:

If the investigation launched by USITC Judge Luckern finds that any or all 30 companies used Prof. Rothschild's methods without proper attribution or royalty,

Seems if there was a patent inifringement there will be alot of folks paying up. Also, the article seems to be saying that this professor has done this in the past and has always accepted a settlement. No reason to think that if her case has legs she will not accept a settlement.

In addition I believe that most companies are using a new etching process to increase the number of good blu lasers and also to reduce size. It will be real interesting to see how the court views this. I might have to go and get a patent on the wheel if new technology built on old still has to pay to the old tech!:D

Geez, I couldn't figure out why it felt like the air got cleaner around here...
Now I know: you weren't around for over a week. And now it stinks again...

Diogen.

Don't forget, Toshiba could get nailed too.
Of course they will... And Microsoft, too.
But wasn't "We have 10 times as many players in homes" BD fanboys' main argument? So be prepared to pay 10 times. And 90% of those payments is Sony's share (PS3).
And since BD is planning to stick around and trounce DVD - those payments will be a permanent fixture...

Diogen.

Probably little effect. Assuming they actually violate, or decide to settle as the easier course, it will Probably not be that large an increase in the price of the diode's.
But don’t forget the hundreds of millions of dollars in the settlement. That’ll sure keep the prices from falling also licensing fees to other manufacturers won’t lower anytime soon if the patient holder gets a kings ransom.

In addition I believe that most companies are using a new etching process to increase the number of good blu lasers and also to reduce size. It will be real interesting to see how the court views this. I might have to go and get a patent on the wheel if new technology built on old still has to pay to the old tech!:D
My take from the article is that improvements to the process still fall under the original patient. As it should, anybody can tweak something that took years of research and hard work to create. Where as they would have never had that opportunity if the original had never been put forth. If I had to make a bet I’d say Sony will have to pay up big and pay the lions share considering the PS3 has used most of the diodes to date.

I fear this will further extend the recoup time manufacturers are using to make up for their loses during the war.

My take from the article is that improvements to the process still fall under the original patient. As it should, anybody can tweak something that took years of research and hard work to create.

Yep. Just look at Dish and Tivo.

S~

We're talking about pennies per player? Maybe a dollar or 2?

It looks like this lawsuit goes much further than hidef disc playback
Blu-ray Players Trigger Patent Probe, it includes LEDs as well. Reason why cell phone makers Motorola and Nokia are in it, too.

The lady has allegedly a lawfirm with 1800 lawyer on staff representing her.
And considering Philips - Sony's best friend since CD days - already settled, this thing most definitely will be settled on terms not disclosed.

Diogen.

Probably right. And since she already no doubt has enough to retire nicely on, she must be funding some great research. Hopefully, scientific and not legal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts