I finally gave in to Blue Ray

2x10

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I was a devoted HD-DVD member for over a year now and finally gave in to BLUE RAY!!!! We waited and waited for more than 1 really good movie to come out and NOTHING. I am not the least bit interested in watching Steve McQueen on HD!!!!!! I visit my local CD Warehouse and their Blue Ray selection is thru the roof and all selections cost just $14.99.

My last purchase of HD was Smoking Aces and the pq was horrendous and it was brandy new...... My girlfriend and I are done. We can now watch most of our faves due to selection...... I really don't care if you could get an HD player for $50, if you can't watch your favorite movies, whats the use.......

Sooner or later all the other Die hard HDers will give in too.

p.s. JoeSP is not my friend and I am not affiliated with him.......

Maybe you should have waited and got a BLURAY player.

PQ on Smoking Aces was horrendous? You definitely have a problem with your set up or your eyes are bad.

We are somewhat the opposite. One of the reasons we chose HD-DVD is because most of the movies we like are in that format and the studios supporting it have the catalog of titles that we enjoy the most. There will always be some movies by the other studios that we won't be able to get in HD-DVD, but those will be new releases which are filmed at such a high quality that upconverting them makes them look really good. Maybe in 5 years or so when hybrid players drop below 100$ we will get a new player and pick up those movies we missed in BR format.

Maybe you should have waited and got a BLURAY player.

PQ on Smoking Aces was horrendous? You definitely have a problem with your set up or your eyes are bad.

Maybe I just had a bad DVD ---- The We Were Soldiers and Perfect Storm were outstanding!!!!

It comes down to movie choice anyhow!!!!

Is Smoking Aces a dual format disk? I could look but don't care? Maybe you just need to turn it over ! :D

If you said you gave into Blu-Ray, and you liked the better selection, I would say, "Cool." If you liked the hard coating on the discs, "Cool."

However, you're complaining about PQ. Bullitt is available on both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD with the same encode.

Are you using a 360 add-on?

to respond to Vurbano and Allargon -----

It just comes down to selection... I was being sarcastic when I said Steve McQueen because I didn't watch his movies when I was a kid and am not going to spend money for the same movie now. I am keeping my HD-DVD player too.

All movies we watched WERE in HD!!!!!! Why would I compare a standard version to an HD

I added the comment about JoeSP because he always has to get his two cents in about everything and usually 98% of what he says is nonsense and garble. I added that to be funny. I don't know him! I "now" scroll past every post he has on the site.

Smoking Aces is dual sided so I will try the other side -- thanks for the info

Did you buy a Blu-Ray player or get rid of your HD DVD player?
Everyone here is my friend. :rolleyes:

I had a large gift card from Best Buy and I decided to use the 36mos no interest on a 50" Samsung plasma and thought "what the hell" We love the selection of Blue-Ray movies so I tied the Playstation 3 in with the financing. Not a best buy fan either, but 36mos no interest is very nice!!!!!

I am keeping the Toshiba a2 so when I said I gave in, I did not turn to the dark-side - maybe this post shouldn't have been in the war zone

Congratulations on your PS3. Please give a rent to Hot Fuzz, King Kong, Transformers, Pride and Prejudice or Eastern Promises. Not all Blu-Ray movies look great--not all HD-DVD movies look like crap. There are duds on each format.

Welcome to Blu-Ray 2x10! I did the same thing as you only quite a bit earlier (about a year ago) and I couldn't be happier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)