Bogus news articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Last year there was a news article going around about walmart upping its hourly wage for non management store employee's to $10hr, well I can tell you that that story was bogus. For those that dont know I work at a walmart distribution center earning a pretty good living at just a hair under $20hr. Well due to a family situation I'm atempting to transfer through the company out of state and so far I have found that the grocery DC's are the only ones doing well as opposed to the import centers and when I looked into a store location I was shocked to learn that the pay cap to work as anything other than a supervisor is $7.10hr. This bugs me on a couple levels because of the fact that the news article that was on several news sites was bogus and because anything below $14hr should be considered poverty wages.

Maybe you misread it?

Here's an older article on the wage increases they did... Wal-Mart raises wages at 1,200 stores | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

If that's not it I'd love to read it. While not 'bogus' there is certainly misreported news every day. There was an article posted in the Blu-Ray forum that the AP wrote saying 28 million discs were sold in Q4 2008. I went to check their source because the article was light on other details, I wanted to see what other info the source had.... and the source data was for units shipped to retailers, not sold to consumers. Confirmed that via email with their source and emailed it to the AP but they never corrected the story... since the crux of the whole thing was that figure, they'd have to have just taken it down or re-written the whole thing, since sales data was apparently never released (and when the title of the article is 'Blu-Ray Sales Soar' and you don't know how many sold, that's a problem).

That's the funny thing about sales and to a point it is correct. Distribution centers sell to stores even if its within the same company such as Walmart so in the case of a grocery DC if they were to have a month where they sold %10 more than they ever had in a month and this was the case across the board for the company then they can announce this as new sales records and increased sales. Its an old play on words and it is questionable but every company does it which from what I can see does lend to misleading sales figures in the markets. If the shipping figures were to be taken out of the loop from the DC's at all locations and it all went by the end retailer then you would get a more realistic idea of how well or poorly a company is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)