Bonehead move...where can I get a chieta 4 x 1 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Freezy,

It has been a long time since I bought mine. They are still working good, but I cannot recall where I bought them. I do believe it was an EBay retailer store. Just select one (a vendor) with a high number of sales and a 98% or better rating and a low price ($7 - $14 is fair).

When you get them, I would recommend that you treat them as if they were ESDS components while handling and installing them.

RADAR

That really happens, eh? I always thought that might be an old "wive's tale".

It certainly can happen. When the cable is removed and the conductors break contact, a small spark can occur and that is all that is needed to fry some of the internal circuitry. Even though we are only working with very low voltage, when the conductors break contact, the voltage can ramp up very high as the "gap" is created. It may be several hundred volts or even into the thousands of volts. It is very low current, of course, so it wouldn't even be felt by a human, but it is much too great for the sensitive devices of the switch. It may kill them right on the spot, or reduce their functionality and shorten their life.

This is why I also recommend that you handle them (or any electronic components) as though they were ESDS components. The static charge that you can build up walking across a carpet (especially when the air is dry) can certainly ZAP them, too. You know that you can feel that shock! Sometimes it can be very annoying to us. But, it's a killer for many electronic components.

I think it is wise to take all precautions to avoid any of these circumstances.

RADAR

I have found over the years that some switches are tougher than others but, all ways kill power before moving cables. I have been guilty myself several times of not doing this. It seems to me that the 1x4 switches are the easier ones to fry.

Freezy,
I have one that is gathering dust. Send me a pm and we can probably get it to you on my dime. Enough people have helped me on this site I don't mind giving back.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Very nice offer Bongu!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)