Bonten Media Group......DISPUTE OVER

KTXS (Abilene TX ABC) is gone. Has a screen that says the channel is asking for three times more than what they were receiving.

I hope it does not last long.

Actually I may be able to survive since our OTA picks up WYDO as opposed to WFXI (not sure how they are not both connected) thus I still have guide data for our FOX affiliate. So it's just WCTI not being able to be seen off of OTA and not having guide date. I think I can wait a few more days before chatting up Dish.

Last edited:
A Facebook comment on WCTI: "These stations are owned by Bonten Media, a company in NYC. You might like to see their stock report, though from last year it shows that their credit is drawn and was due to mature this year. They are cash poor and that's why they are trying to "play hardball" with the big boys. This is an act of desperation and it unfortunately punishes the viewers alone. Here's the S&P report: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/25/idINWNA608820120925 "

Looks like this may be another Media General case of someone trying to get more money.

TRI-CITIES
WEMT 39 - Screen says Esteem Broadcasting has blocked access to this channel. :rant:
WCYB 05 - Screen says Bonten Media Group has blocked access to this channel. :mad:

Are they owned by the same group?

Yep, rarely does DISH (Or DIRECT) take down the channels during extortion negotiations, it's the channels that refuse to continue to be viewed.

NBC, FOX & the CW...gone:(

Not too good,I really hope they can reach an agreement quickly.Sad part is,it's not very easy to get any of those channels ota.WCYB is vhf,plus the CW is carried as a sub channel.We used to get WEMT here in the analog days,since the digital change over,not even a blip on the meter.

New Facebook post:

We have an update on the service interruption for DISH viewers who wish to watch NewsChannel 12 and FOX Eastern Carolina:

The amount we are asking from DISH is just a few pennies per subscriber per day.

Our need for compensation is largely driven by increasing costs placed upon us by the television networks.

Most other cable and satellite companies recognize that our request is justified and are already paying us a similar amount.

The amount we have asked DISH to compensate us is less than 20% of what they are paying ESPN.

You can still watch your favorite NewsChannel 12, ABC and FOX Eastern Carolina programs over the air with an antenna or through another provider until an agreement is reached.

MORE DETAILS--> http://bit.ly/18to4gM

TRI-CITIES
WEMT 39 - Screen says Esteem Broadcasting has blocked access to this channel. :rant:
WCYB 05 - Screen says Bonten Media Group has blocked access to this channel. :mad:

Are they owned by the same group?
yes an no
WEMT is owned by Esteem but Bonton runs it. (Basically to get around the ownership rules in smaller markets)

yes an no
WEMT is owned by Esteem but Bonton runs it. (Basically to get around the ownership rules in smaller markets)

I'm in one of those local markets but don't give a rat's a.. about ABC (never watch it) and with FOX I only watch 49er games. I wondered why the 49er game today did not record. I have OTA so if I really need to watch their future games I can do it that way...although I hate watching anything live.

The extortion buy these groups is ridiculous.

New Facebook post:

The amount we are asking from DISH is just a few pennies per subscriber per day.

How does that compare to what Dish was paying before? How does that compare to what Dish has paid for other local channels? They're trying to distract and confuse. Reminds me of the "You can help this starving child for the cost of a cup of coffee per day"

The amount we have asked DISH to compensate us is less than 20% of what they are paying ESPN.

Useless data, comparing apples and oranges.

How does that compare to what Dish was paying before? How does that compare to what Dish has paid for other local channels? They're trying to distract and confuse. Reminds me of the "You can help this starving child for the cost of a cup of coffee per day"

Useless data, comparing apples and oranges.

It's "spin". No different than Dish saying the group wants "three times more than before"? Three times what? Hasn't Dish claimed the last 2-3 negotiations ALL wanted "three times more"? Isn't that a strange coincidence?

And most would want OTA installation for free. Does not make any sense to pander to that to degree for a temporary situation.
Just because they WANT OTA installation for free doesn't mean they get it. That's a business decision. Heck, charge $50 for OTA installation on a new installation ($99 or $150 if added later). I'd gladly pay $50 one time in order to save $5 a month. It shouldn't be that hard to determine what addresses CAN get OTA, which ones SHOULD, and which ones CAN'T. Then, Dish has less subscribers to locals, which means they have to pay less to the affiliates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts