Bonten Media Group......DISPUTE OVER

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
I don't see this anything big. Just like others, they will cave, we will assimilate.

I will say this,if dish had a lot of lost subs in the tri cities over WJHL,they ain't seen nothing yet.WCYB is the most viewed station by far,lots of loyal viewers.Even worse WEMT is like a WCYB sister station that carries FOX,owned by the same group,and WCYB carries the CW I believe.That could be a loss of 3 network channels.

The MG ordeal was real bad & drug out for 1 1/2 months. Dish lost a lot of customers because of that.

If these stations go black it's going to take a very long time for dish to repair the damage in this dma left by back to back disputes.

I will say this,if dish had a lot of lost subs in the tri cities over WJHL,they ain't seen nothing yet.WCYB is the most viewed station by far,lots of loyal viewers.Even worse WEMT is like a WCYB sister station that carries FOX,owned by the same group,and WCYB carries the CW I believe.That could be a loss of 3 network channels.

That would be a big loss in the Tri-Cities! Brings back a lot of memories of the years I lived in Johnson City, though!

No. What they better do is not cave. Otherwise we will be paying even more than we do now, and for something that is supposed to be free of fees by the affiliate.

This sounds all to familiar & the same record from last month.

While I do agree some what that dish should stand their ground, but at what cost? They either bleed subs to the point of caving in or just go ahead & pass the cost on to us.

It's a bad deal all the way around for Dish & customers.

C/P:

Bonten Media Group

DISH is nearing the end of its contract with Bonten Media Group, the owner of the local NBC and CW stations in the Tri-Cities, TN-VA DMA.

At DISH, we are dedicated to providing our customers with the best programming at a fair value. Unfortunately, Bonten Media Group is demanding an unreasonable rate increase that is three times more than what we currently pay to carry these channels and has now decided to involve our customers by messaging about these negotiations.

We have successfully reached agreements with hundreds of local stations across the country in the past year and are working around the clock to reach a fair and reasonable agreement with Bonten Media Group.

This is like the RSN debates. And the outcome will be the same. Charlie was and is ahead of the curve. It took a few years after DISH decided not to be extorted - uh not pay the NY RSN rates for the rest of the industry to understand.
http://forums.solidsignal.com/conte...arner-Cable-wants-8-per-month-for-the-Dodgers

And so it will be in the escalating fees for locals. It has to stop, you can't complain about the cost of Satellite/Cable programming on the one hand, then say but you better not lose this or that..... It's almost a no win situation.

The MG ordeal was real bad & drug out for 1 1/2 months. Dish lost a lot of customers because of that.

If these stations go black it's going to take a very long time for dish to repair the damage in this dma left by back to back disputes.
And the next provider to "sit across the table" with MG or whomever, will experience the same problems and potential damages. It's SOP these days.

If Dish would offer locals ala carte like they used to & installation services for ota that would go a long ways in keeping subs while keeping their public image positive. It would also give the big finger to the networks as well. Then again 1 of the hoppers major selling points is ptat. While I agree with Dish in fighting these pricey carriage agreements they sure could do some more for their customers by offering some creative solutions.

If Dish would offer locals ala carte like they used to & installation services for ota that would go a long ways in keeping subs while keeping their public image positive. It would also give the big finger to the networks as well. Then again 1 of the hoppers major selling points is ptat. While I agree with Dish in fighting these pricey carriage agreements they sure could do some more for their customers by offering some creative solutions.
And most would want OTA installation for free. Does not make any sense to pander to that to degree for a temporary situation.

Not a temporary situation but should be sold as a permanent solution for public safety regarding weather, service interruptions with dish hardware failures, carriage disputes, having a cheaper bill by not subbing to locals.

Point is they could get creative.

Creativity, your definition, would come at a cost, that would probably exceed their potential losses. Remember, Dish is a SATELLITE TV provider. Every city has antenna sellers/installers who would love such business from those who want it and not inclined to DIY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts