BOOOO No Deadliest Catch on Discovery HD

dlarruso

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Man- tonight another season of deadliest catch starts and I was really looking forward to watching it on my new HD receiver. Looks like I will be watching it in SD on the standard Discovery Channel. Anyone else watch deadliest catch?

How does discovery decide which shows to broadcast on the HD theater channel and which to just do on the regular channel?

The shows which are taped in HD are the ones shown in HD.

Deadliest Catch would be really hard to do (and costly) in HD. I bet they have a hard time doing it in SD.

It is a good show though. :)

Yeah, I enjoy it as well. My guess is that it will be on Discovery HD later (kinda like they do with American Chopper). It sucks because the orignal air date on the SD channel means it doesn't get picked up on a "new" timer on Discovery HD. So I have to watch it closely.

Been a favorite for the wife and me. We really enjoy Alaska king crab, too. Kinda puts a whole new dynamic into our seafood feasts. I'm glad the crewmembers are well paid for the risk they take. Some make enough in one tour to last them a whole year (if they stay out of trouble!)...

The shows which are taped in HD are the ones shown in HD.

Deadliest Catch would be really hard to do (and costly) in HD. I bet they have a hard time doing it in SD.

It is a good show though. :)

Over at AVS, they said it was indeed filmed in HD this season.

I've read the same thing, that Deadliest Catch is filmed in HD (this year). In fact, I'd read a year ago or more that the Discovery network planned to film all of their shows in HD. Now, that doesn't mean they'll broadcast them in HD (yet).

Better yet, http://discovery.blogs.com/deadliest_catch_diaries/2007/04/entry_no_1_new_.html:

Over the next week, we will be running the crews that will rig “our” crabbing vessels with cameras, microphones and all the other gear. We have done this before, except this time we will have to rig eight boats, and all the new equipment we have brought is not our usual stuff. This will be our first year producing the show in HDTV. None of this new equipment has ever been tested in the Bering Sea, possibly the toughest environment that any show has ever been produced in.

Last edited:
Link is 404

I've read the same thing, that Deadliest Catch is filmed in HD (this year). In fact, I'd read a year ago or more that the Discovery network planned to film all of their shows in HD. Now, that doesn't mean they'll broadcast them in HD (yet).

Better yet, http://discovery.blogs.com/deadliest_catch_diaries/2007/04/entry_no_1_new_.html

Ditto on the the showing in HD. If it's being recorded in HD now then it will hit in the NEW season.
Your link is a 404 (DOA) when I use it.

I was hoping Deadliest Catch would be on HD also. I just got my 622 and looked for the HD version. I knew it was in HD because it was shown as 16x9 on the SD channel. Discovery is dropping the ball by not showing shows filmed in HD on their own HD channel.

EDIT: BTW I'm on Discovery Networks site right now asking about why the show isn't on DHD and to voice my support for its move.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts