boot recovery screen

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I've got a 612 that is showing a Warning 981 boot recovery screen in rather crude graphics. The progress bar graph at the bottom shows at most 3 red bars before it goes back to zero red bars. Does this mean the receiver's firmware is toast, :( and also that it can't get a new firmware load off the sat? :river This receiver is directly connected to a 1000.4. If the boot recovery algorithms are too stupid to operate a 1000.4, I could plug it into my old D500... I really don't want to RMA this unit, because it has been golden for about a year and I don't want to get into an endless loop with refurb replacements.

ive seen boot recovery take over half an hour before on 625s and 622s with the indicator bars going up and down a few times, you just have to let it start and walk away. but that is on new recievers right out the the box with old software. if this happened to you on a reciever that you have had for a year, that can't be good. if you can get past the boot recovery, you may have to reset to defaults and force download current software. probably will wipeout your recordings

I've got a 612 that is showing a Warning 981 boot recovery screen in rather crude graphics. The progress bar graph at the bottom shows at most 3 red bars before it goes back to zero red bars. Does this mean the receiver's firmware is toast, :( and also that it can't get a new firmware load off the sat? :river This receiver is directly connected to a 1000.4. If the boot recovery algorithms are too stupid to operate a 1000.4, I could plug it into my old D500... I really don't want to RMA this unit, because it has been golden for about a year and I don't want to get into an endless loop with refurb replacements.

Tech Portal : 612
Once your there go to select error then to 981.

Tech Portal : 612
Once your there go to select error then to 981.
Wow was that ever buried. Thanks! It says:

Symptom
Warning 981

Cause
This message is seen when the software download is interrupted, disturbed, or corrupted prior to completion and the receiver enters Boot Recovery. This is caused if the satellite signal is blocked during the download process or by unplugging the receiver at a critical time.

Prevention
Do not unplug the receiver during software downloads and verify locked signal strength before downloading software.

Troubleshooting
This process generally can take 1-2 hours, but can last up to 4 hours. The receiver should not be disturbed in the process. If you are experiencing bad weather, wait for the weather to clear and allow the full time for the boot recovery.

So the receiver has been like the Tech Portal shows with zero progress for 2 hrs. Still nothing. We can obviously wait for 4, but I'm pessimistic that anything new/different will happen.

Still nothing. I think my 612 doesn't know how to switch an EA dish. Where's the data stream on WA? 110 or 119?

Here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• 981_gandalf.jpg
    981_gandalf.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,098
Last edited:
it says to reset the receiver per the tech portal if you waited 4 hours

Power off the receiver and unplug the receiver from the electrical outlet. Wait 15 seconds, plug the receiver back into the electrical outlet and power the receiver on.

Thanks all. I finally figured this out. I have claimed all along that the boot recovery firmware is stupid, and it is. I flipped my separator over so that it's now face down, and that fixed the problem. Downloaded new firmware in about 20 mins and came back fine. ;) Obviously the boot recovery firmware can only look at one tuner, and it can only tune in one band (most likely the lowest). It can handle an EA dish. Don't know how I was supposed to figure this out since the 612 doesn't label the sat tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)