Booting up from external HD

And this is where Directv has the advantage in regards to internal hard drives failures from receivers, when you can connect a EHD and replaces internal drive, Of course everything else is on Dish's favor in recordings and archiving between receivers per account.

And this is where Directv has the advantage in regards to internal hard drives failures from receivers, when you can connect a EHD and replaces internal drive, Of course everything else is on Dish's favor in recordings and archiving between receivers per account.
The external drive only replaces internal for recordings. OS is still on the internal. It goes, the receiver goes.

k' guys. Thanks for the quick responses. Much appreciated. Guess I should opt for a replacement (either another 722 or a Hopper). My 722 is intermittently making some funny noises.............kinda like the noise you get on disc brakes when the pads are gone. I'm assuming it's the drive. Quiet now though......

I've been running an external HD with my 722 for awhile now. If the internal HD fails, can the 722 boot up from the external?

Interesting question. It does not boot from any disk, so let me reformulate your question.

If the internal HD fails, can you still watch channels live or play recorded programs from the EHD?

Yes, you can still watch channels live. I have no idea whether you can still play recorded programs off the EHD, but I suspect the answer is, "Yes".

OS is still on the internal. It goes, the receiver goes.

This is most definitely not right. The firmware for our receivers is held in some sort of non-volatile memory and has nothing to do with the disk (if it exists). This is obvious for non-DVRs. For DVRs, you can verify this by unplugging the internal disk. You can still use your 722, but it will work more like a 222.

This is most definitely not right. The firmware for our receivers is held in some sort of non-volatile memory and has nothing to do with the disk (if it exists). This is obvious for non-DVRs. For DVRs, you can verify this by unplugging the internal disk.
I was discussing Direct DVRs, which perhaps incorrectly, I thought OS was on internal drive.

DirecTV definitely doesn't have any advantages in a situation such as this. The EHDs with DirecTV are tied to their individual receivers so if the receiver goes so does the EHD even if the EHD is still working properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)