Boston MPEG4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swim

Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Does anybody know when MPEG 4 will start in Boston? I'm getting kind of antsy for ABC HD

I live in Amesbury about 47 miles away from the towers and the only station I get is the pbs station out of Manchester.

swim call and request a waiver for fox. I had it within a week. They told me it would take 4-6 weeks. I noticed it 6 days later. That was two months ago. Just keep your eye out for it. They never called me, or sent any communication to confirm. Not so lucky with ABC though.

FYI - I'm in Winchester, a lot closer than you are to the towers.

Will the Boston sports channels be part of that since they almost have an HD game everynight between all the local teams, even some pregame shows are HD.

Clarification: The date stated for the Boston DMA to receive HD Locals is 8 December. (stated in previous posts here and other places).

I am somewhat confused. I have the current HD receiver - 3LNB dish. On December 8, what changes. I read in other threads the long awaited new Spaceway2 is still not operational.

So in order to get the HD locals via Directv, what do I have to do ? I do get the real HD Locals via the OTA but it rains, trees block etc. When does Directv do something for $10.95 per month or is it Comcast time and sell the Directv junk on eBay ?

If I have to pay for the $99 Upgrade, is the village idiot that installed the HD toys in April going to come back and I have to yell at Directv and the local installer for 30 minutes again (I still kept the pictures after the goth kid left).

How about a reasonable summary of what to do on December 8th besides call Directv on the special number they sent me or use the 10% off coupon at Circuit City.

Thank you

roachxp said:
Will the Boston sports channels be part of that since they almost have an HD game everynight between all the local teams, even some pregame shows are HD.

No NESN and Fox sports are not part of the rollout maybe somewhere down the road but it may be a while

Hey Naples,

I guess we have some great installers in the Boston area. Mine showed up in running shorts, a wife beater, a big gold chain, and danced the whole time. Literally, just danced around and sang to himself. And of course the install was just terrrible, but I guess that is to be expected.

No NESN or Fox Sports? At all, or High def? I'm not making the switch to MPEG4 until more HD is available. I have a feeling FIOS will be available before then, and I'll certainly make the switch to them if that's the case.

Out on the Cape, my father in law's installer put the multiswitch outside, with no covering, under a water faucet and above a drier vent. Every one of the cables corroded and snapped within 3 months, and the multiswitch died the death after 4. I upended it and a stream of water ran out.

They won't be. DirecTV is only adding CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX to each market until they're all done.

No NESN, No FSN, no anything else.

The entire solution is to eliminate needing OTA at all. Many, many people can't get local OTA.

jpa25 said:
Hey Naples,
I guess we have some great installers in the Boston area. Mine showed up in running shorts, a wife beater, a big gold chain, and danced the whole time. Literally, just danced around and sang to himself. And of course the install was just terrrible, but I guess that is to be expected..

LOL Im feel sorry for you :D

Is D* worth it for HD

Yesterday, I called D* and wanted the cost (I know $99) and what channels (know that one too) but no sub channels !!! I wanted to go over things with my wife before I committed. I called them back around 7PMEST. Two CSR's said they were 'updating' their systems so they would take down my info and get back to me. No call so far. I guess they don't care ! This leaves me to question D*. I would think they would everything they can to keep the victims in the pen. (I even called on 'my special' number to avoid the long wait lines).

I see things appearing here about h20 problems. While the overall D* is reasonable, the negatives - untested technology, bad installs (has to be done twice), etc. is Comcast that bad ? (I have not been there for a long while).

From Snowy Massachusetts...

Naples:
"updating their systems" is a euphemism for "one of the systems we need to use is down."

It was, and still is, if I recall.

If you're unhappy with untested tech, don't upgrade yet. :)

"Many, many people can't get local OTA."

So, the majority of people living in Detroit, Atlanta, Boston, and the other HD local markets who already have HD recievers can't get local HD with their existing boxes using an OTA antenna? I find that hard to believe. I'm in the 51st DMA and I get Boston and Providence locals with my H10. People living in Boston should be able to hook up an indoor antenna to their existing HD boxes and get HD OTA channels providing all of the networks without the hassle of buying and installing new boxes and dishes. Am I missing something?

"is Comcast that bad ?"

I don't live in a Comcast area, but, Comcast does have NESN HD which should get you the Redsox, Bruins, and Celtics games in HD. You will pay more for service comparable to D*TV, from what I've heard.

Upgrade or not ?

Thanks for the feedback. I do get the major Boston Locals OTA and with the upgrade the sub channels are not provided, so maybe the best thing is to wait.

If the upgrade just gets me CBS/NBC/ABC/PBS local via D*, then it is not worth $99 or playing th dumb game of customer retention etc.

Question, if I go buy the H20 at Circuit City or VE as adertised here and get the rebate for the $200 paid for it, do I need the 5LNB dish. With my current H10 can make that that give me the HD Locals ?

There are many ways to go here.

Oh, D* has not called me back since the 12/8 'updating systems' phone call, nor have they responded to the email about it. The only thing that keeps me from 'dumping the dish' is Comcast's higher costs.

Oh, for the residents of the Commonwealth of Masschusetts (AKA People's Republic), a Rep in the lower house of the Great and General Court has posted a bill that would add a 5% tax to the cable and D* bill but he cable subscribers would get the 5% waived as they pay a fee via the local cable licensing scam they have wih each of the towns in MA.....

The additional 5% on the monthly cost could be a heavy straw for the 'joy' that D* does.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts