bought a direct tv box on ebay

Status
Please reply by conversation.

br136

Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
atlanta, ga
New satilite subscriber- I hate comcast but I did a dumb thing- now I have a box direct tv wont turn on cause its registered under a lease some where- I would like to buy another one but need to avoid hot or leased box - any suggestions and do you have to register for new card and pay $5 per month?

File a claim with Paypal. Threaten the seller with bad feedback until he allows you to return it.

The call Directv and get the install and receiver for free.

Excellent answer. I still have no idea why people try to jump through hoops to buy a used, leased box that they cant activate when directv will give them a new one for free, with a free install and reduced monthly costs for a good period of time.

I think a lot of these folks are trying to dodge the 2 year commitment, and dont realize that activating any receiver, no matter where you "bought" it or who installed it, you're going to have that commitment.

For the OP You need to get the RID# from the seller than call Directv to see if the receiver is a lease or shows an outstanding balance owed on it. If it has a balance you need to pay it before the receiver can be activated.

As other poster have told you getting the leased receiver directly from Directv is probably the cheapest and most secure method.

Yes, there are some "owned" boxes around but not many. Most of the owned DVRs are ones that were received in exchange for owned HD TiVos.
And as was posted, most people don't seem to understand that the monthly fee for a receiver is the same amount whether the box is leased or owned, it's just called something different.

The OP said - New satellite subscriber.
I get the impression he already has a DIRECTV installed and he's just trying to activate some leased box he bought from a crook on EBAY.
It's kinda late to get the equipmnet for free from DIRECTV now.

The OP said - New satellite subscriber.
I get the impression he already has a DIRECTV installed and he's just trying to activate some leased box he bought from a crook on EBAY.
It's kinda late to get the equipmnet for free from DIRECTV now.

Could be, but he should follow Peano's advice and contact Paypal. He should also dispute the charge with his credit card company, if applicable.

can anyone actually verify this guy works for directv? No disrespect intended but the whole wwf thing kinda takes away any professionalism.
How does it take away from professionalism on an internet message board? He is not on the job here.

I'm sorry but I have bought owned dvrs on ebay. As long as you get the rid# and check it out with directv it will be fine. Last time I saved $100 doing it this way but it took me awhile to find an owned box at a price I was willing to pay. Also remember that D* will require you purchase a new access card for $20. So yes it can be done if you do it correctly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)