Bought Used Equiptment. Access Card???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gluck75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Manhattan
Just bought a Hughes HTL-HD on EBAY to upgrade my Hughes e86. It is my understanding that, even though I am going to my old card(from the E86) and hte used card(from the USED HTL) that neither of these access cards will work and ill have to get a new card from D*. Am I right???

You could try activating the HTL over the internet first. It worked for me with a used card.

Can I get a new access card before I have the new receiver so I don't need to wait???

Also...how do I try to activate with an old card online? Can this really work?

I have read a lot saying the policy at D* has been to force new cards, I guess it reduces their exposure to piracy. I sold my co-worker a D*Tivo with a 160GB Drive and some utilities and they would not let him activte without a new card. I thought that was strange til I read around here a little more.

Too bad ... it has the P5 card, not like he was gonna steal anything.

I can see why they are forcing new cards. They probably deactivate the cards when someone takes a receiver off their account or closes it. This way it reduces the number of active cards out there.

New card is REQUIRED.

DTV pays broadcasters for every access card that has the ability to receive programming ( hence the addnl $4.99/ month ). Once an AC is activated on an account, it can not be activated on anyone else's account. It will contain info specific to the original party's IRD ( PPV history, caller ID, and a few other items). Not to mention it would help out in identifying stolen IRD's if the crook is stupid enough to call in and try to activate it.
If you deactivate a card that is on your account it may be reactivated on your account as long as it is in the same IRD.
To activate ANY used IRD that was not originally activated on your account a new card MUST be ordered.

For new customers: The only time used equipment can be activated on a pending/ new account is if the new resident is moving into a home where DTV equipment is located, the new resident can provide the previous owner's name, and an account can be found with the information being provided. Otherwise.... new equipment has to be ordered and installed. THIS IS THE FINAL RULING AND NO EXCEPTIONS ARE TO BE MADE!!!

ONLY 2 AC can be ordered at a time, and those 2 must be activated on your account before we can send out any more.

These are the GUIDELINES set down by DTV.

Yes you can order an AC before you have the receiver available. Just call in, let them know that you have a new IRD, it's installed and picking up a pic on 100, you have no access card, and provide them with false SN, and RID numbers until you have the new IRD.

Any questions or help needed, contact me
Your Friendly DTV Res Spec
white_knight_2010@yahoo.com :smug

Well I bought a used receiver from a co-worker with the card that came with it originally (P4). I went online and added it to my existing account under "Activate additional equipment". Programming was on it in seconds.

peano said:
Well I bought a used receiver from a co-worker with the card that came with it originally (P4). I went online and added it to my existing account under "Activate additional equipment". Programming was on it in seconds.
Damn I wish I would have known that. Being the guy I am I bought the access card (gave him 20 bucks back), but I thought of just letting it ride and trying the online deal. Too little too late, now I know.

Also DIRECTVREP: Thanks for the info, you always seem able to give us the skinny on these types of things. Good information is ALWAYS nice!

WhiteKnight...

can you explain this part to me..."Yes you can order an AC before you have the receiver available. Just call in, let them know that you have a new IRD, it's installed and picking up a pic on 100, you have no access card, and provide them with false SN, and RID numbers until you have the new IRD."???

gluck75 said:
WhiteKnight...

can you explain this part to me..."Yes you can order an AC before you have the receiver available. Just call in, let them know that you have a new IRD, it's installed and picking up a pic on 100, you have no access card, and provide them with false SN, and RID numbers until you have the new IRD."???

Sorry, I'm so used to using jargon I don't know what you guys would and would not know now.

You can order an ( Access Card ) before you have the receiver available. Just call in, let ( DTV ) know that you have a new ( receiver ) it's installed and picking up a ( picture ) on ( channel 100 ), you have no , provide (DTV) with false ( Serial Numbers ), and ( Receiver ID ) numbers. Then when you get the new receiver, call in and activate using the correct information.

Your Friendly DTV Res Spec :smug
white_knight_2010@yahoo.com

I sure am glad you're on our forum now to answer any questions we have of Directv. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts