Bought Wii -- need input on games

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
My wife was visiting with my youngest daughter and our grandson and she played my daughter's Wii. Well I got a call from my daughter and she told me that mom was playing the Wii!!:eek:

She has never played a video game in her life!! Well except for Pong back in the 70's she has steered way clear. That used to be my domain for relaxation. Well, my daughter told me to buy her one for her birthday which is this month and I did.

So, any suggestions on which games to buy for the Wii. I have a feeling she likes the interactivity of the sports titles as she was boxing the heck out of everybody. So any suggestions would be welcomed.

First off Congrats on FINDING a Wii.

Here's some recommendations.

For family/child friendly:

WarioWare Smooth Moves:
A GREAT party game with multiple quick microgames. Kids will love the fast action and crazy movements involved.

Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz: Another great party game. This has 50 different minigames with it with ring toss, home run derby, whack a mole, etc etc. Its also super cute.

Super Smash Bros Brawl: The new "Must-Have" game for the Wii. It is very simple and easy to pick up, but is quick and fun and doesn't get boring. There are also tons of things to unlock.

Quirky and Unique:

Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaros' Treasure: A quirky puzzle game. It is very cute and cartoony but you will find the puzzles to be increasingly challenging and fun (or frustrating depending on how you look at it.)

Trauma Center New Blood:
A very fun game about surgery. It's basically "Operation!" using a Wiimote, but also has all sorts of unique operations. The fact that you can use two players is very fun as well. It also has an intriguing storyline.

Super Mario Galaxy: Ok this isn't that quirky, but it needs to be mentioned. This is just a very fun game with great worlds and varying challenges as tons of extras. Beating the main games means you've only finished barely half of the game. This is the other "must Have" for the Wii.

Mature/Hardcore games:

No More Heroes: This is a very unique game that you will either love or hate. It has a very adult style and tone, but its use of the Wiimote to perform various moves and the gratuitous violence will satisfy many.

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition: This is simply one of the greatest games ever made, and that is talking about the PS2/GC versions. This Wii version makes a great thing even better. The use of the Wiimote as your gun, along with the fun regular game and numerous extras and side missions will guarantee a lack of boredom.

Honorable Mentions:

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Super Paper Mario

Trauma Center Second Opinion

Guitar Hero 3.

Also don't forget about all those Virtual Console games.

I can't remember the name of the game for the life of me. Something like playground games. Very addicting dodge ball on that one plus a bunch more.

My grandmother played ours over the Easter holidays and loved the bowling! She bought one for herself and is bringing it weekly to the Veterans nursing home. Shocker!

Besides Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers Brawl and Guitar Hero III, here are three other that are family favorites:

Mario Party 8 - It's a 3-D board game on the Wii, but with lots and lots of very fun mini-games

Sonic and Mario at the Olympics - It's the summer Olympics and you do it all...

Legos Star Wars - You know all the movies by heart, now you get to be your favorite Stars Wars characters...Lego style. This one is particularly addicting.

And I was very lucky to get a Wii. I was talking to one of the BB managers and he took me up to the Customer Service desk and game me a card and told me to call after 12 every day to see if one came in. He did not know when or how many but he said they usually sold out the day they came in.

While walking to my truck he came out of the store and ask if I still wanted that Wii. It just so happened that a customer just returned one unopened so I got lucky.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I found the SMBBB for $32 used -- I already tried it out and it works fine so I am going to get it.

I can't remember the name of the game for the life of me. Something like playground games. Very addicting dodge ball on that one plus a bunch more.

My grandmother played ours over the Easter holidays and loved the bowling! She bought one for herself and is bringing it weekly to the Veterans nursing home. Shocker!
Playground

My kids have that and love it.

Okay, how about games for adult women over 40, but that is as far as I will take it? I am looking at Mario/Sonic Olympic Games. Has anyone played that one?

We have a few games for our Wii but my 40+ something wife likes to stick to the sports games in general and still plays the bowling game that came with the console.

Okay, how about games for adult women over 40, but that is as far as I will take it? I am looking at Mario/Sonic Olympic Games. Has anyone played that one?
I've played the Sonic Olympic Games. Pretty good, the whole family enjoyed it.

You're wife might like Zelda, my wife loved it.

As a 40-something woman, I really liked the Harry Potter game. It uses the wi-mote as the wand.

You could try and go out on a limb and show her No More Heroes. Maybe she's big on the adult themed games.

More realistically, probably the sports games, the upcoming Mario Kart game, and even Wii Fit (assuming she doesn't think you're trying to send some offensive message.) Zelda may appeal to her.

Sega Superstars Tennis got some decent reviews. Pinball Hall of Fame may be of interest. I haven't played either of these games, but they seem to be fun and not have a steep learning curve. I say if she can handle the content, Resident Evil 4 is incredibly fun and satisfying.

My whole family loves the Wii. Friends come over and don't want to leave, they want to play all night. 2 of our favorites are Smooth Moves and Big Brain university.

If it's sports and a wii workout you are after wii sport's boxing is the best you have. We preordered wii fit. It's gonna rock too. We mainly got the wii to work out with.. I know it can't be an entire exercise program, but read around on a few blogs and you'll see lots of people are starting to get in to working wii in to a workout.
Fitness - Kotaku

My wife and I are loving it because we hate the gym with a passion. Playing the wii is getting us back in to wanting to get in shape more, which in turn has a strange effect on causing us to actually do more exercise outside of the wii as well in it... With wii it's a fun workout and if you combine it with some other activities, you can actually get in shape.

As far as actual calorie counts go:
wii sports | WiiNintendo
- Tennis: Coming in a close second, Wii Tennis was the runner up in calorie burning activities for Wii Sports. I burned an average of 92 calories during a 15 minute period. Like most of my game playing during the experiment I played each game fairly aggressively and would perform full swings, move left and right, and not take any breaks.

- Bowling: One of my favorite Wii Sports games also clocked in at the lowest of the three games I tested for calorie burn. I burned an average of 77 calories during a 15 minute period. Again, I played aggressively, taken steps toward the lane and bowling with a full swing of the arm. No breaks were taken and I played the game fairly quickly.

- Boxing: The clear winner here. I burned and average of 125 calories during a 15 minute period. I would like to point out that I would punch with full power, move as if I were really dodging, and hoped/bounced around like a real boxer would.

- Baseball: I didn’t get a chance to run the calorie test on baseball, no reason… I was just pressed for time and didn’t get around to it, I love baseball don’t get me wrong.

and I can't find the link for it right now at the moment... but earlier today (on another computer) I found some website, that was comparing calories for other games... It had stats on number of calories burned per x amount of minutes for wii sports, mario and sonic olympics, ddr, and several other games. Boxing is still number one as far as actual calories burned per minute goes. I think Tennis is right below that followed by some other game... Rayman I think?

Yes, it's not a treadmill or elliptical machine, but it's pretty darn fun, and way easier to get in to and stick with.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)