Bourne Ultimatum Troubles

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
After a long wait for this HD DVD, I finally get it yesterday and it plays great to about 1hr 55 minutes and then is trash with broken picture and sound loss to the end. Anyone else having problems? Player is an A30 with the latest firmware upgrade. Mode is 1080p60 and I tried both true DD5.1 and DD 5.1 plus with same results.

Watched mine last night on A2, no issues, have latest firmware.
I don't have my disc in-front of me, but maybe there are some differences between yours and mine, any batch or disc info numbers to report from yours?

Once I got it to play, it played through w/o a hitch; TrueHD bitstreamed, 1080i video.

But I kept getting "System Error" on the TV & "No Play" on the LED when I first tried to play it. But I've been doing a lot of web features lately - downloaded a bunch of trailers through Evan Almighty and did a Community Screening with Harry Potter. One of the guys on the HP screening mention he had to clear out his Persistent Storage to get the Community Screening to work on his player. So I cleared mine out and then all was well.

They need to enable USB additional memory with a FW update if they want to keep upping the ante with web features - which I hope they do. :hungry:

The problems with Bourne and a lot of other combos seem to be tied to the 3rd gen players and the 360 add-on.

The 1st and 2nd gen players seem to have no issues. Methinks Toshiba and MS need to get their act together on this.

Just played the latest HP HD DVD and it was flawless. I also got a second copy of Bourne Identity to test out but I can't imagine it would be different. Amazon sent it to me because I complained about delivery on the last one. Now I have two copies!

These issues must be driving the software writers nuts.

Don have you read the Bourne Ult thread at AVS? it too is pointing to 3rd gen and 360 add-ons being the majority of problems.

Just played the latest HP HD DVD and it was flawless. I also got a second copy of Bourne Identity to test out but I can't imagine it would be different. Amazon sent it to me because I complained about delivery on the last one. Now I have two copies!

These issues must be driving the software writers nuts.

If you're looking for a new home for your extra copy of Bourne, I know of a loving owner that's looking for one... :)

If you're looking for a new home for your extra copy of Bourne, I know of a loving owner that's looking for one... :)

No, I wasn't in search of a new home for it. I want to play it through to see if it plays fine while the original is flawed. I doubt it but want to test it. By then I should see if Amazon wants it back. I reported to them that I had already received the first copy but very late. Why would a "loving owner" need another copy? Or, did you mean a "loving Bourne fan" It's obvious I have trouble understanding what you right.

Mine had all sorts of choppy sound at the beginning, changed it and it played fine but I had to turn it way up.

Tried three different copies of Ultimatum (two owned and one rental) and all three begin to fail at the same time on the DVD. I also tried several different audio tracks, and different formats, 1080i, 1080p60 and 1080p24. All three responded the same. For me there is just no watching this past the 1hr 26 minute mark.

Player is the Toshiba A30 with 1.3 firmware.

If anyone is able to view this HD DVD without trouble, please list your equipment and configuration.

I just posted this on AVS forum thread:

I have an A30 with 1.3 and have similar problems as do most of you all. It always baffles me with threads like these how a few people have no problems with the same, seemingly, hardware. I now have 3 copies (one rented) of the Bourne Ultimatum and the problem is reproducible like it was programmed into the disk.

After reading through this thread I can see no common denominator or pattern. As soon as someone makes a claim it is common to this or that, I see others having the problem that moots the common cause guess. So, I decided to call Toshiba tech support- (800) 319-6684 and discuss this with them. They were quick and very responsive to my report. I mentioned to them that this forum (AVS) and its long thread indicates the problem with Bourne Ultimatum is pervasive. In a minute of checking with his tech lists of problems it appears they do have this issue on their high priority list for another firmware update but it is still in development, that is no ETA. The good news is they are on it and understand it is a wide spread issue with all their players, not just the A30. He said the HD DVD spec allows for a great number of options and as producers keep adding these, they discover problems in the players that need addressing. They continue to plan updates for the players as problems are discovered and confirmed. I did not ask about any other titles, just Bourne Ultimatum. I did tell him that v 1.3 had resolved the repeated error codes I was getting on other titles and resolved the ability to use internet access.
I was told that as soon as the new Firmware is released to correct this, I would receive a disk from them in the mail.

If anyone is able to view this HD DVD without trouble, please list your equipment and configuration.

Do you have your player connected to the internet and downloading the web content when the disc is inserted? If so, se my post #3 in this thread about clearing out persistent memory.

After I cleared my memory, mine played flawlessly.

A35, FW 1.3, 1080i video output, TrueHD audio via bitstream.

Do you have your player connected to the internet and downloading the web content when the disc is inserted? If so, se my post #3 in this thread about clearing out persistent memory.

After I cleared my memory, mine played flawlessly.

A35, FW 1.3, 1080i video output, TrueHD audio via bitstream.

Before, during and after! Same problem. Unlike you, I got no change whether the memory was empty, filled or emptied out again. Rebooted, output 1080i, 1080p60 0r 1080p24.

If the problem were related to this, I'm sure Toshiba would have the fix like this in their FAQ but they don't. They recognize it is something that needs addressed in the Firmware and therefore are presently working on it.

Want to try something more scientific? Fill your memory and see if the problem returns, empty it out and see if it goes away, fill it again and see if it returns. If successful, you may have a solution (Workaround) that works for the A35. Then find someone else to try it with their A35. I can tell you I tried it with my A30 and it makes no difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)