Box time out question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stan38

Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
gainesville
Can anyone tell me how often Direct times out their box? I have Dish Network and they time out their box and require you to hit Select to wake it up every few hours. My dad is 88 years old, and I want to connect the Hallmark channel to channel 3 on his tv. I would like for him to surf the TV channels and Hallmark to be available for him along with his channels he already has off his HD antenna. I am just not familiar with how Direct times out their box for lack of any activity. Hope this makes sense. He just gets confused with all the buttons on most controls.

Can anyone tell me how often Direct times out their box? I have Dish Network and they time out their box and require you to hit Select to wake it up every few hours. My dad is 88 years old, and I want to connect the Hallmark channel to channel 3 on his tv. I would like for him to surf the TV channels and Hallmark to be available for him along with his channels he already has off his HD antenna. I am just not familiar with how Direct times out their box for lack of any activity. Hope this makes sense. He just gets confused with all the buttons on most controls.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You mean if you don't use a Dish box at least every couple of hours it shuts down?

I have no idea what you are talking about. You mean if you don't use a Dish box at least every couple of hours it shuts down?

I guess you are not familiar with Dish network boxes. I have several kinds including ViP 622 DVR-HD. When the tv is turned off for a couple of hours, you must wake the box up before you can use the guide or anything else. If Direct also times out, I don't need to subscribe. I can't use dish because of this issue for my dad.

I guess you are not familiar with Dish network boxes. I have several kinds including ViP 622 DVR-HD. When the tv is turned off for a couple of hours, you must wake the box up before you can use the guide or anything else. If Direct also times out, I don't need to subscribe. I can't use dish because of this issue for my dad.

AFAIK, the boxes only have on and off. I have accidentally left my DVR on for days at a time, and when ever I turn on my TV, its ready to go.

Dish Network has to shut down their boxes once per day to download updated program guides. Directv does a trickle down load so their programming guide is constantly downloading and dosen't need to shut down daily.

Last I checked, DIRECTV receivers have a screen saver (bouncing "Cyclone" logo).

There are circumstances under which the screen saver can be temporarily disabled, but I don't think it is possible to turn it off entirely for a conventional channel.

Cable is probably your best shot for uninterrupted video on the Hallmark Channel.

Dish Network Receiver

The every 4 hours thing can be turned off in the menu. nightly update cannot be turned off though.. It can only have the time changed..

Menu 8 - 8 - Disable

Thanks to everyone. The inputs were a big help. I will give Direct a try. Cable not available. Dish will not do the job. Thanks again to everyone. This was important to me....Stan

I had the same situation with dish, the solution is simple...go to options and select standby to off..then schedule download updates to 5am, then schedule an auto-tune to hallmark channel to 5:30 am EVERYDAY, doing this you will have hallmark channel all the time on air except from 5am to 5:30 am ( you can change the times at your convenience)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts