Boxes act like there was a power outage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
For the last two days both of our boxes (VIP 211K and VIP 222K) act like there was a power outage when you turn them on. They go through the acquiring signal and updating the guide. I noticed last night that that the light would go on on for 20 seconds or so and then go out so I turned the TV on and it said 'starting up".

I know it's not the power fluctuation b/c I got them both up and running, turned them off and an hour later they went through the entire boot sequence again. I just did it again and 20 minutes later one of them went through the entire boot sequence again.

Any clues? Are there batteries in them that need to replaced?

Chainblu:
1. When did did they shut down 77?

2. How would I tell if I have a 1000.4 and why would that make a difference? It is at least 10 years old with a triple LNB.

Here's the latest thread talking about 77. It was just a few days ago: Sat 77

On your Dish remote, press menu-6-1-1, then press the check switch on the screen. That will tell you what sats you're looking at and the type of LNB.

1. Unplugging the units from the wall, waiting a minute and plugging them back in did no good.

2. Checking the ‘switch’ says I have fewer satellites than before. It also says to select 110 or 119 for my zip code but neither of them get a signal. If I understand what I am seeing I only get signals on 61.5 and 72 (77 isn’t there surprise surprise) and then it’s not great (50 to 60%). I expect when the leaves come back I won’t get a signal good enough to watch anything. I have a 1 meter FTA dish and I can get only get as far east as 87, plus 30 during late fall and winter but nothing in between due to trees.

I have a clear line of sight to both 110 and 119. Is it just a matter of re-pointing the dish (oh what a PITA)?

3. I didn’t recognize anything telling me what kind of LNB I have unless it’s the “system 500”.

4. The details show good connection for Port 1 but no signal,

Port 2 even, odd for 61.5, and

Port 3 even, odd.

5. Did DishTV warn anyone that this was going to happen?

Takethe satellite coax off of the back of the receiver and do a check switch. It will see nothing. Next put the coax back on the receiver and do another check switch. Any better?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Wait a minute, slow down here. Everything is fine. You only need signal on satellite 61.5 and 72. The whole point of running a switch check was to remove the no longer used 77 location. Signal strength of 50 will be fine. Now you need to wait and see if the receiver continues to reboot. I believe it was rebooting because on the old switch configuration it was looking for signal at 77. Now that the new switch check has been run I believe you will be okay.

Reactions: TheKrell
Pamajesic: I didn't 'save" the result. Right now I'm in hte middle of what Bobby suggested. Assuming I save the next switch test and it cures the start up routine each time, I hope I still have a signal when the trees sprout leaves next spring.

What would be the harm in pointing the dish to either 110 or 119? Those are the two satellites that the directions tell me to select. I'd assume (I hate that word) that since DishTV is pushing in that diections that not only should it work but my local channels would be there.

What would be the harm in pointing the dish to either 110 or 119? Those are the two satellites that the directions tell me to select.
Wow; those are really old instructions if they don't even have Eastern Arc. Dish now serves different parts of the country from different arcs. 110/119/129 (the old/original) is Western Arc. The EA now only includes 61.5 and 72.7. So, if you were to repoint an EA dish to 110/119, the spacing is a little off which would reduce SS, and you would probably lose your locals and most of your HD channels which are on 129. Which DMA are you in?

You are overthinking this. Just let the 'empty' check switch finish, then reconnect the cable and run again. Either way, you want to 'save' the results. This will stop the receivers from looking for 77 and hopefully stop the reboot cycle. It did for me.

Chainblu: done that! Hopefully it'll work but I wonder what spring will bring? 77 was the one that had the least amount of obstruction.

OK, lets clean this mess.
1. When did did they shut down 77?
Like 3 days ago. Apparently the contract for Quetzsat1 (Mexican satellite that also provides service to Dish Mexico) expired, and since all other channels are on 61/72, it was purged.
What would be the harm in pointing the dish to either 110 or 119?
Not only the spacing is wrong, you would not get 129, which is where most of the HD feeds for the western arc come from. The arcs go something like this:

WA, Western Arc, serves the majority of the western side of the country. And as TheKrell mentioned, also the original set of satellites (Hence why you still see an option to set them up in Point Dish). 110/119 provide 100% of the SD service and 10%-20% of the HD feeds with the rest on 129.

EA, Eastern Arc. The slightly more modern arc, and higher in the sky which helps when you are in an extreme NE zone like New England. Mostly compromised of HD feeds. 77 was used at one point for locals, but those where later moved to either 61.5 or 72.7. And all it was left with was some SD duplicates which sometimes came in handy.
I'd assume (I hate that word) that since DishTV is pushing in that diections that not only should it work but my local channels would be there.
If you where setting the receiver up in the early 2000's, then yeah. No longer useful or accurate unless you were purposely trying to aim at only one satellite, like people in Alaska/Hawaii need to do sometimes due to the extreme angles they have to deal with.
What's a DMA?
Designated market area. Essentially the local broadcast stations are assigned a specific market zone by the FCC, which Dish has to abide by and provide you with the local channels for your area and your area only. Each arc has a set of DMA's assigned to it, for example California is WA for the most part, Boston would be EA. Some parts of Texas are broadcasted on both arcs, since its a state that can get signal from both arcs pretty reliably.

Reactions: TheKrell
Designated market area. Essentially the local broadcast stations are assigned a specific market zone by the FCC, which Dish has to abide by and provide you with the local channels for your area and your area only. Each arc has a set of DMA's assigned to it, for example California is WA for the most part, Boston would be EA. Some parts of Texas are broadcasted on both arcs, since its a state that can get signal from both arcs pretty reliably.
There are many DMA's east of Ole Miss with locals on both arcs in either SD or HD. The map linked below is a little dated, but pretty much still accurate.

Reactions: ethanlerma
IIRC Miami has the EA sats elevated to high? Dishpointer says the south part of the city has 72.7 at an elevation of almost 59°
Too high for what? I've used the eastern arc several times at Midway Campground on the Tamiami Trail (US 41) about 50 miles due west of Miami with a 58.4 degree elevation.

midway.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)