Breaking news: Cablevision to add TBS in HD

RemyM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Stamford, CT
Breaking news: Cablevision to add TBS in HD
Newsday has learned that Cablevision plans to add TBS's high definition channel early next week, in time for the start of the baseball playoffs Wednesday night.

Viewers accustomed to watching all Yankees games on YES in HD and all Mets home games on SNY in HD have been concerned for weeks about not having the biggest games of the season in that format.

Now Cablevision has joined DirecTV and Time Warner in offering the month-old service, which will appear on Channel 739 and be rolled out between Monday and Wednesday of next week.

Cablevision now offers 41 channels in HD.

Verizon FiOS and Dish Network have not yet announced plans to carry TBS in HD in time for the playoffs.

Posted by Neil Best on September 27, 2007 12:23 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2007/09/breaking_news_cablevision_to_a.html

Press Release Source: Cablevision Systems Corp.

Cablevision to Add TBS HD to High-Definition Line-Up in Time for Start of Major League Baseball Playoffs
Thursday September 27, 1:30 pm ET
TBS HD, the 41st High-Definition Programming Service Available to iO(R) TV Customers Without Any Additional Charges or Fees, will be Available on Channel 739 Before First Playoff Pitch is Thrown

BETHPAGE, N.Y., Sept. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cablevision Systems Corp. (NYSE: CVC - News) today announced that it had reached agreement to add TBS HD to its high-definition line-up early next week, before the start of the Major League Baseball Divisional Playoffs, which will be carried by TBS, starting on Wednesday.

TBS HD will become the 41st high-definition programming service available to Cablevision's iO TV customers at no additional cost. In addition to the best HD picture and sound, iO customers receive HD channels without the fees and charges Cablevision's competitors require customers to pay for HD.

"We are pleased to have reached agreement to add TBS HD to our line-up of more than 40 high-definition programming services in time for the MLB playoffs," said John Trierweiler, Cablevision's senior vice president of product management. "This is great news for local baseball fans, and for our growing base of more than 800,000 HD customers."

TBS HD will become available to some iO TV customers with HD-capable set- top boxes on channel 739 beginning on Monday, Oct. 1, and the channel will be available to customers across the company's entire service area by Wednesday.

iO customers today enjoy access to the following services in high- definition: CBS HD, NBC HD, FOX HD, ABC HD, My9 HD, CW 11 HD, Thirteen HD (PBS), MSG HD, FSN NY HD, YES HD, SportsNet New York HD, ESPN HD, VERSUS HD, The Golf Channel HD, National Geographic Channel HD, Discovery HD Theatre, TNT HD, Universal HD, MOJO, Starz HD, HBO HD, Showtime HD, Cinemax HD, The Movie Channel HD, high-definition video on demand (VOD) and VOOM's 15 HD networks including HDNews, Equator HD, Gallery HD, Rush HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Animania HD, Monsters HD, Gameplay HD, Treasure HD, Worldsport HD, Family Room HD, Film Fest HD, Kung Fu HD and World Cinema HD.

For iO customers with high-definition television sets, Cablevision offers HD-capable converter boxes at no additional cost over the standard box rental fee, unlike competitors who assess additional equipment and/or service charges in order to see HD programming. In addition, high-definition feeds of premium movie networks are available to all customers who subscribe to the standard- definition version of the networks. High-definition video on demand movie titles are available anytime for $4.95 each, which includes full control over the viewing experience with the ability to pause, fast-forward and rewind.

About Cablevision

Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC - News) is one of the nation's leading entertainment and telecommunications companies. Its cable television operations serve more than 3 million households in the New York metropolitan area. The company's advanced telecommunications offerings include its iO: Interactive Optimum® digital television, Optimum Online high-speed Internet, Optimum Voice digital voice-over-cable, and its Optimum Lightpath integrated business communications services. Cablevision's Rainbow Media Holdings LLC operates several successful programming businesses, including AMC, IFC, WE tv and other national and regional networks. In addition to its telecommunications and programming businesses, Cablevision owns Madison Square Garden and its sports teams, the New York Knicks, Rangers and Liberty. The company also operates New York's famed Radio City Music Hall, and owns and operates Clearview Cinemas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Cablevision Systems Corp.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070927/nyth111.html?.v=101

now all they have to do is add all the other HD channels like D* & E* had along w/ BBC America (so we can watch Torchwood) & we'll be all set for the long winter :)

Don't get too excited the pq is not good

You seem to fail to realize that the only reason CV, and everyone else for that matter, added TBS-HD was because they have MLB playoff games. Once those games are over in a couple of weeks none of us will watch their stretch-o-vision garbage.

Once those games are over in a couple of weeks none of us will watch their stretch-o-vision garbage.

Which is plenty enough reason to want it.

80%+ of what I watch on TV is sports. (And, I'm sure I'm not in the minority there, especially in the male 18-30ish demographic.) After following a team all year in HD, it would be a horrendous sacrifice to not be able to watch the postseason in HD.

Now, all we need is ESPN2, the NFL Network in HD, and the ability to buy UFC events in HD and we'd be rolling.

Mike and mad dog were given incorrect information about TBS HD available only DirecTv. I sent an instant message through their websites and a few moments later they said that Cablevision and TWC just released a press release announcing the addition of TBS HD today. I was saying to myself these guys are really out of the loop. These deals were announced a few days ago. Trying to cover their asses for their mistake on radio.

Mike and mad dog were given incorrect information about TBS HD available only DirecTv. I sent an instant message through their websites and a few moments later they said that Cablevision and TWC just released a press release announcing the addition of TBS HD today. I was saying to myself these guys are really out of the loop. These deals were announced a few days ago. Trying to cover their asses for their mistake on radio.

People still listen to them? They are a couple of jerks that think they know everything when they really know nothing. So instead of saying they made a mistake they cover it up with a lie.

People still listen to them? They are a couple of jerks that think they know everything when they really know nothing. So instead of saying they made a mistake they cover it up with a lie.

I had them on because there were going to interview a few of the Mets player and Minaya. This is when they announced the TBS HD only on DirecTv. BTW, TBS HD is here.

Torchwood is available in HD on HDNET!
yes, I know... now if only CV here in CT. would add that also...but you know CV wants to keep everyone in the dark about any new additions. & btw I am expecting TBS HD to be live here by 10/3 (thats the way it was when they added the VOOM channels)