Brewers to dispute scoring in Sabathia's one-hitter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just saw Brewers manager Ned Yost on ESPNews. He is one pissed off guy. According to Yost, the official scorer denied Major League Baseball a no-hitter, and called the scoring a "joke". I couldn't agree more.

I would like to see it reversed...Being a Brewer fan. However, if it is not, it is still one heck of a good game and that play he made with the bare handed catch and then throw back to 1st base for a double was another awsome play. It is in my opinion the best trade in years as far as helping a team.

I guess you could make it an error. It's a little tough but I would give him an error. He should have a no hitter. He's 9-0, that's amazing.

Let the Pirates have their one hit. It's not like they've been any good at all.

That's not the point, Sabathia deserves to have a no-hitter. I have seen the replay several times now, and I cannot believe the official scorer didn't change it to an error in the seventh or eighth inning, when the no-no was still intact!

I watched the game on TV, and being a Pirate fan:(, I think it should of been an error.

The runner isn't fast at all, so he would of had time.

If Big man wants his no-no, he should have tossed it in milwaukee! :D

This story definitely makes a case for 2 things:

1) the official scorer should remain anonymous - I'm sure the Pirates official scorer for that game is probably getting death threats by now

2) the official scorer should be impartial to either club - if it is a pittsburgh official scorer, ruling is base hit. If a Milwaukee official scorer was used the ruling would be error. In a game where stats are important (and apparently bragging rights for players), the official scorer should be impartial. I know it sounds stupid, but official scorers should be flown in to work series' just like umpires rather than the official scorer coming from the local press or ballclub of the home team.

I remember there was once a broughaha involving Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs and a scoring decision. Clemens wanted a ball poorly fielded by Boggs to be changed to an error to lower his earned run average, and I think the scorer did make that change, but then Boggs wanted it changed back to raise his fielding percentage. I think they were each contending for the league lead in those catagories at the time.

I remember there was once a broughaha involving Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs and a scoring decision. Clemens wanted a ball poorly fielded by Boggs to be changed to an error to lower his earned run average, and I think the scorer did make that change, but then Boggs wanted it changed back to raise his fielding percentage. I think they were each contending for the league lead in those catagories at the time.

I remember that as well. I could be mistaken, but I thought the official scorer (Charlie Scoggins????) charged Boggs with an error. After the game Boggs complained to the o.s., and he changed the scoring to a hit. This infuriated Clemens, Red Sox fans, and the media.

I agree that Sabathia was robbed. There is no question that if he fielded the ball cleanly, he would've thrown the runner out.

In typical fashion when questioned about the play, Sabathia didn't complain and said that whatever the higher ups decide is cool with him. Good guy....

Anyways, another outing for Sabathia, another complete game, another shutout and another win. This is sick! 9-0, 1.97 ERA. I know the guy has only pitched for a half of a year in the NL, but is there really any question who is the best and most dominant pitcher in that league?! I just hope he has enough left in the tank for the post season.

it was clearly a hit. i've watched the replay several times. it looks like the ball hits sabithia's hand and rolls off. i didn't see him cleanly attempt to field the ball and then drop it. maybe, from a different vantage point, i might change my mind. from what i saw, the guy had a hit.

we all know if the pirates had gotten a second hit, this would be a none issue!!

it was clearly a hit. i've watched the replay several times. it looks like the ball hits sabithia's hand and rolls off. i didn't see him cleanly attempt to field the ball and then drop it. maybe, from a different vantage point, i might change my mind. from what i saw, the guy had a hit.

we all know if the pirates had gotten a second hit, this would be a none issue!!

Watch the clip on ESPN. The one that starts with Yost bitching to the media. It shows Sabathia fielding the ball and the runner in the foreground. Clearly, if Sabathia fields the ball properly, or even with his glove instead of his hand, he would've had plenty of time to throw the runner out.

The worst part of the Sabitha deal...is that the Brewers won't even have a chance to keep him. Most likely will end up in New York with a $500 million contract. Which is great for him. But that does sucks for baseball that one team can spend that much on one player when some teams can't even pay that out for a whole club. And with all the meatheads on that team, there is no doubt that he won't fit in as well as he has with the Indians or the Brewers.

CC really got robbed on this call. MLB held up the scorers decision yesterday, saying there was no "conclusive evidence". Those guys are as blind as umps. Sounds like they didn't want to undercut the scorers.

CC really got robbed on this call. MLB held up the scorers decision yesterday, saying there was no "conclusive evidence". Those guys are as blind as umps. Sounds like they didn't want to undercut the scorers.

Yup. The runner wasn't even a third of the way down the base-path when Sabathia bobbled the ball. If fielded cleanly, the runner would've been thrown out my a mile!

I disagree with all of you.

I'm pulling for the Brewers (of course--they are the anti-Cubs right now), and I am a Sabathia fan. But I agree with the OS's explanation that that play would have to have been "above average" to get the runner. If he had fielded the ball cleanly, he probably would have gotten the runner out, but the fact that he had to leave the mound, run up, whip around, and make a good throw removes the question of whether the runner would have been out.

And again, I am rooting for the Brewers, but Ned Yost was his usual crybaby self about the whole thing. Hmmm..... with all due respect to the Mets, it makes one wonder if this has anything to do with why they haven't won a game since then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts