GEOSATpro Bricked the microHD...

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
mHD has the most current firmware. I downloaded the microHD ali editor from here. I did some changes to my satellite list, diseqc 1.0 and 1.2 settings, then saved the file back as "transfer.abs" to the USB drive, then updated the .abs from the USB drive. Now it's stuck in the dreaded boot loop.

Why? Isn't the process which I did the same as restoring the firmware, but with an altered satellite list?

I ordered a USB-TTL recovery cable from the link in Brian's recovery sticky thread. Should I have saved it as a .udf file and updated the udf file?

Kinda bummed now. This is one place I didn't want to go.

You didn't brick the microHD. The bootloader is still working, but the software is corrupted.

When the receiver boots, it has incomplete information to tell it how to operate. You will need to reinstall either a current User Database (.udf) or a Firmware (.abs) file to restore operation.

For Quick Reference:
  • An .abs file is only for firmware updates.
  • Satellite/transponder/channel lists, configuration settings, etc are not firmware files. These are database files.
  • Default Database files (.ddf) are the lists and configuration default settings that the receiver is reset to during a Factory Reset.
  • User data files (.udf) can be erased during Factory reset back to the Default Database. The User Database can be set as the Default Database in the Channel Edit menu.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the description of the abs and udf files.

Let me ask this. When you want to just change the sat/channel/settings, do you have to start with the .udf file? Or, can the Ali editor use the .abs and save the subsequent altered file as .udf? I may have gotten into a bad habbit using the .abs file to change the settings, then reloading it (on a different receiver) with no issues.

The bummed part is having this situation happen, at 10:00pm, and me not having the required cable to fix it on the spot. Now, I have to wait probably a week to have the cable and get the receiver back to working order.

Ever think of offering the cable as standard issue in the box? :) That'd be sweet, in hindsight!

Correct. An .abs file contains Default Data and User Data data. Edited data may be saved as either a .ddf or .udf file.

A TTL/USB conversion cable is not used by 99.9% of the STB purchasers. Power users will want one, Joe Average wouldn't know what to do with it.

It is hard enough getting a hobbyist with basic STB and computer knowledge to read and follow the process guides .... ;)

What is the difference between saving the file and exporting after alterations? Is export what to use when the file type is being changed? And Save is for keeping the original file type?

The problem with many process guides, is that they assume a level of terminology and process knowledge that the readers do not possess. ;) Writers must know the level to which to write! An example is acronyms or abbreviations can make a simple process seemingly complex and confusing.

Brian, are you associated with the link you provided that is offering the USB-TTL cable? I ordered last night, with paypal payment, yet the transaction doesn't show on my account yet.

What is the difference between saving the file and exporting after alterations? Is export what to use when the file type is being changed? And Save is for keeping the original file type?

The problem with many process guides, is that they assume a level of terminology and process knowledge that the readers do not possess. ;) Writers must know the level to which to write! An example is acronyms or abbreviations can make a simple process seemingly complex and confusing.

Brian, are you associated with the link you provided that is offering the USB-TTL cable? I ordered last night, with paypal payment, yet the transaction doesn't show on my account yet.

PM sent.

Sorry I’m not sure what happen I checked the Magento store and paypal and don't see any record of your order. I guess something happen not sure what.

With that said I would hate being in your shoes having to wait wait so I'm going to eat the extra cost and send your cable via Express Mail so you will get it this Saturday.

Just PM me back.
. :)

Last edited:
PM sent.

Sorry I’m not sure what happen I checked the Magento store and paypal and don't see any record of your order. I guess something happen not sure what.

With that said I would hate being in your shoes having to wait wait so I'm going to eat the extra cost and send your cable via Express Mail so you will get it this Saturday.

Just PM me back.
. :)

I went through the order process (again?) and have a confirmation number, which I'll PM you. Something must have errored out last night.

We never have explored the .abs file modification or creation functions with the ALI Editor as we do not use this software to create microHD .abs files.

ALI Editor software is used for many STB brands and models (a Swiss knife for editing data with their chipsets). Many editor functions are dependent on the STB's hardware and firmware. The microHD uses .abs files for firmware updating. Other ALI receivers may use this extension for other types of updates. You must realize that any .abs, udf or ddf file can be loaded between any ALI based STB. If the file contains the right code on the right blocks, the STB will function. The wrong code and/or the wrong blocks are written, and the receiver is disabled.

For future reference with the microHD:
.abs extensions are only used for firmware updating and includes a default database and blank user database. Only load Firmware .abs files created and distributed by GEOSATpro.
.udf extensions are for editing user inputted and defined data such as satellites, transponders, channels, switch settings. If the .udf file isn't distributed by GEOSatpro or you didn't save the .udf file from your own microHD, load with caution.
.ddf extensions are the factory reset defaults for the STB. .ddf files are not distributed by GEOSatpro. If you didn't save the .ddf file from your own microHD, load with caution.

We have added a new FAQ describing the three file types, with warnings and suggestions for first-timers. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/302904-FAQ-microHD-File-Extension-Types-abs-udf-and-ddf

Glad that you're now reading the guides... ;) LOL!

Last edited:
For the record, I'm not cross-pollinating between different receivers. ;)

I really appreciate the clarifications offered here. The new sticky is nice too!

Those statement were intended for anyone referencing this thread as a microHD knowledge base.

Thanks for the kind words. Hope that the sticky helps someone grasp this wild and oft confusing technology!

I received the cable today. Many thanks to wallyhts!

I've tried twice to recover the microHD, and failed both times. The transfer tests the serial port status OK and collects STB information to "Finished" status. Then the following error is displayed.

lzma-exe error.JPG

I can click OK and the program continues to completion, including burning to flash. I disconnect everything and all I get is the boot loop.

I am using the most recent .abs file from the sticky here. I am using the driver from wallyhts' site. I am using the microHD_ALI editor from the sticky above. I am following the pdf step by step.

I'm going to restart the computer and see if anything changes... Any suggestions are welcome.

OK, here's the next deal. The SatApps that comes with the driver from wallyhts has an ALI Editor and lzma.exe file included. If you take the ALI editor from the sticky here, you don't get the lzma file. Pretty simple...

The update went through everything without the error. But the boot loop remains.

You need to flash a normal *.udf file to the Micro. Nothing else. The lzma file is not needed, just bypass it like you have done.

Here's a good *.udf file: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...via-Internal-TTL-Header?p=2963448#post2963448

But, the pdf provided by Brian says to use the .abs file. This is the first I've read to use the .udf file to restore the firmware.

I'll give it a go. I can't make it worse! :D Geeze, I've rooted a couple different phones, a Nook Color (that was a sum-bitch) and have almost as much fun as now. :)

The .udf file flash via the internal header is to fix the boot-loop issue only, which is caused by a corrupted .udf file. It is not a reflash of the entire firmware, but recovers the receiver as normal, and then you can do everything else the regular way.

Primestar31 is correct. The looping cycle is typically fixed by loading an User Database (.udf) file, but sometimes it is necessary to load the firmware (.abs) file. Since loading a corrupted .abs file started this fiasco, I had suggested starting the recovery process by loading that file type.

Glad to hear that your receiver is working again! Thanks Wallyhts for the extraordinary fast delivery of the conversion cable! :D

I was thinking that the .abs file is almost like the foundation for the other file types, and as such could be restored as a start-over action. I guess I'm confused why the December 2012 .abs wouldn't load.

Not sure of your serial settings when loading the .abs, powered through the TTL, power down after loading, etc. The failure to load the .abs file could happen for many reasons.

If you wish to start over with a healthy microHD and a clean slate, would advise:
  • Reload the most recent Firmware (.abs) via USB
  • Perform Factory Reset
  • Power Cycle
  • Save the User Database (.udf) file to USB
  • Edit the Satellite/Transponder Lists with MES or ALI Editor
  • Save as User Database (.udf) to USB using a new file name
  • Load the USer Database file to the microHD
  • Power Cycle the microHD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts