Bridge? AP? What do I need?

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Hi all.

I found an interesting use for an old unstable laptop. I am using it to connect my Dish 622 receiver to my network through the wireless router to get all the on-line content and features available through Dish.

I guess this is the world's most overblown bridge. It works great.

My question is this: What is the cheapest item, specifically, I need to do this job without the use of a full blown laptop? Not only am I concerned about power usage, but as I mentioned before, this laptop is unstable and could crash at any time. Once I get a stable way to keep my 622 connected to the network I will drop my land line phone service and save $30 a month.

I am NOT interested in Home Plug. I want a way to allow the 622 to connect to my wireless network.

Thanks in advance!

See ya
Tony

I am using two Asus WL520-GU routers that are flashed with DD-WRT. I set up a repeater bridge that connects one of my 211's (wired) and extends wireless throughout the house and basement.

An older router flashed with Tomato or DD-WRT is an excellent way to do it. Better than a single bridge as you'll be able to hook up 4 wired devices to the router in bridge mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts